Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Honoring your spouse.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honoring your spouse.

Hello everyone, I have something heavy on my heart and strongly desire a Biblical/Christian view of my issue. Most know of the target boycott and usually I don't get caught up in boycotts but this is one I felt strong support for and have stated to my family that I do not wish for our money to go to them any longer for moral and religious reasons. My wife was not in full agreement because understandably she enjoyed shopping at target. I recently found out today that she has been shopping there after going to cash out rewards we have built up. She usually pays the bill and I don't look at it...I thought us to be on the same page but apparently we are not and she has female friends that supporting their husbands is not their top priority.
    I consider this from a biblical standpoint as not honoring me as her spouse and the head of the household. I don't want to cause any issues between us and not sure how to address it. Any help would be appreciated. God Bless!

She is in the wrong. She has caused the "issue" by not being submissive to what you have declared. I don't know the full situation but unless you are commanding her to sin it looks as if she is being defiant towards God. You wrote "she has female friends that supporting their husbands is not their top priority." I wonder if they believe what Ephesians 5:23 and 1 Peter 3:1-7 say.

Pray for her. And I would discuss this with her.

Comment>

Her main issue is she thinks I'm being petty so she doesn't take the situation serious when I talk to her about it.
      Comment>

That's not her call. Like I wrote earlier, unless you are commanding her to sin (which I don't think you are), she is to be submissive to you in "everything" (Ephesians 5:24). You are her God ordained master (cf. 1 Peter 3:6).

Debate: A Christian wife... - Christforums
        Comment>

Originally posted by titansfan187 View Post
          I consider this from a biblical standpoint as not honoring me as her spouse and the head of the household.
          As the head of household you're to lead her in love as the spiritual leader which is under submission to Christ. Have you offered your reasoning from a biblical basis?

I mean, I hear you say that for your religious reasoning, but have you brought your reasoning to her in a way that she understands them?

Remember, Abigail and Nabel? She was married to a fool and went around Nabal by offering support to David, doing what is right in the eyes of the Lord. Your wife is your helpmeet, but she is under the authority of God first, and then you.

I'm not saying that she is biblically minded in this instance, but Paul addressed Christian liberty, then again, Paul said he would refrain from meat if it caused a weaker brother to stumble. There are two possibilities here, she is much stronger in the faith and is not bothered by purchasing her goods from a company that is "sacrificing to idols", or she doesn't care and her own self is the center of her judgment. Either way, you're the head of the household, the spiritual leader, lead her in these spiritual matters. You may be stumbling across a deeper spiritual matter, as Faber suggested, and ought to address this in patience and love.

As a side note, if my money was within my own control and was being routed to a company that supported abortion, LGBT~Q activism etc., I'd cut funding to that source or take over my own bill paying. Of course, sometimes we have no choice, such as paying taxes to a government that supports those things. Curious as to how you are going to address her, please share your points or arguments etc, I'm sure members would be happy to offer a for or against position so that your blade is quite sharp.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

Her main issue is she thinks I'm being petty so she doesn't take the situation serious when I talk to her about it.
            Well, Are you taking the situation too seriously? She Is your wife -- maybe her opinion is worth more consideration.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D. View Post

Well, Are you taking the situation too seriously? She Is your wife -- maybe her opinion is worth more consideration.
              Have you asked her why she still shops at Target? Are there practical concerns, like no other shops nearby, is the distance too great, or are the prices higher anywhere she can get to, which leaves her stretching household funds? If you can discuss it, find an alternative place for her to shop, or increase the funds available so she has an alternative, she might be more receptive to a request that she stop using Target.

Proverbs 31:10-31 discusses the values of a good wife, and if she is supporting the household and husbanding resources wisely, she's fulfilling her role. If you are asking her to depart from what the Bible instructed by spending household funds in a way that reduces the household, that is not something to be taken lightly.

Comment>

I was sharing this question with my husband. He couldn't believe that a husband would actually be taking this question to a Forum for answers. Whatever happened to interaction / communication between husband and wife? Maybe they need marriage counseling?!
                Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D.
                  I was sharing this question with my husband. He couldn't believe that a husband would actually be taking this question to a Forum for answers. Whatever happened to interaction / communication between husband and wife? Maybe they need marriage counseling?!
                  Wow, That is a very judgmental statement. The very foundation of my post was seeking some wisdom in how to approach and interact graciously with my wife on something I haven't experienced before and I am not comfortable approaching people that we both interact with daily for advise.
                  Comment>

Wow, That is a very judgmental statement. The very foundation of my post was seeking some wisdom in how to approach and interact graciously with my wife on something I haven't experienced before and I am not comfortable approaching people that we both interact with daily for advise.

My question is How did you and your wife manage to get together in the first place -- communication 101 -- my husband and I have been married for 45 yrs -- four grown kids and grandkids -- we talk - interact about most everything.

When a husband / wife are dealing with a serious issue -- talk about it together -- ask your S. S. teacher -- your pastor.

You apparently are upset with something concerning the Targot Store -- shopping there any longer. What happened at Targot -- is it the gender bathroom issue? Or part of what the store supports that you don't agree with? Does your boycotting the store really make that much difference. There Is a situation I heard about where Lots of people did just that -- to get the attention of the store. There have been so many issues in so many areas of life -- it gets confusing as to what exactly Is being referred to.

I guess I just don't understand -- you'll approach a Forum of Strangers instead of approaching people you know and that you might -- in the process of interacting about your concern -- deepen those relationships. And It Might be that those people you hesitate to open up with are wondering about the same thing.

And it Can be intimidating to ask people you already know -- vulnerability on your part - which is another reason to talk with your wife about it -- whatever 'it' is. Marriage is hard work at times -- taking time to be 'real' with your spouse can be hard. But it's important.

I'm speaking from the vantage point of having gone through almost 2 years of Biblical counseling -- life can be Rough. Connecting with people is Important. On the Home front and church people front.
                    Comment>

I sympathize with your situation but of course you realize you are going to get all kinds of cannon fodder replies. Sounds like you have a scriptural foundation and so pull everything through that filter. Salvation is an individual affair so I would think maintain the peace as much as possible and let the Lord work it out. He will do it if she is one of His...
                      Comment>

Originally posted by 2404 View Post
                        I sympathize with your situation but of course you realize you are going to get all kinds of cannon fodder replies. Sounds like you have a scriptural foundation and so pull everything through that filter. Salvation is an individual affair so I would think maintain the peace as much as possible and let the Lord work it out. He will do it if she is one of His...
                        A husband should be aware of his wife's salvation or lack there of. It Should be the glue that keeps a married couple together. So you're suggesting that if his wife is going to be a believer, God will get it done. Well -- a husband Could be the spiritual leader between the two of them. If nothing else -- have a copy of Open Windows or Our Daily Bread. Read each days selection together. Talk about it. Make a point of sitting down together in a nice, quiet place -- and reading it together.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D. View Post

A husband should be aware of his wife's salvation or lack there of. It Should be the glue that keeps a married couple together. So you're suggesting that if his wife is going to be a believer, God will get it done. Well -- a husband Could be the spiritual leader between the two of them. If nothing else -- have a copy of Open Windows or Our Daily Bread. Read each days selection together. Talk about it. Make a point of sitting down together in a nice, quiet place -- and reading it together.
                          That is wonderful to have devotions together but we are saved by being in Christ believing.
                          I sure you didn't imply justification by works. If we could merit one stitch toward our salvation Jesus died in vain...
                          Comment>

# 13 -- How did you get your comment from my post?

Almost sounds like you'd make a 'work' out of Everything.

Aren't guys / husbands Supposed to be the spiritual leader? Isn't that one way a couple / dating or married Can grow together spiritually?!

Comment>
                            Working...
                            X
                            Articles - News - SiteMap