Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Tv Churches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tv Churches

It has been a growing trend whereby we find Tv stations offering live church programs on Sundays. They broadcast for around 2 hours. This has made many Christians get lazy and opt to stay at home. I feel that this should not be the case since going to church I believe is more effective than watching on tv. Churches on the other hand who pay to be broadcasted on tv may defend themselves by saying that they are targeting those who cannot make to go church like the elderly or the sick in hospitals. This, however, has made healthy Christians boycott the church. Do you think that live church broadcasts are necessary?

They can help those who for some reason are unable to attend church and can serve as an outreach for those who don't go to church. They can be harmful when those who can go to church use them as an excuse not to go. It is hard to tell whether the total affect is good or bad.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus
      They can help those who for some reason are unable to attend church and can serve as an outreach for those who don't go to church. They can be harmful when those who can go to church use them as an excuse not to go. It is hard to tell whether the total affect is good or bad.
      Exactly, and you'd be surprised how many families will not let their kids/ teens attend church. Watching on TV is sometimes the only way for them to learn more about their Savior.
      Comment>

I think its ok because some people do suffer from anxiety when they have to be out and about in public and such Televangelism is a way to communicate with those that suffer from these kinds of things. I used to watch the Jim Bakker show on TBN and it was quite interesting and also he would have some interesting guests as well. I found him very relaxing at times and my favorite was the shows about putting Christ back in Christmas-which I think is quite true today. What do you think of the Jim Bakker show ?
        Comment>

Originally posted by FolkArtist View Post
          I think its ok because some people do suffer from anxiety when they have to be out and about in public and such Televangelism is a way to communicate with those that suffer from these kinds of things. I used to watch the Jim Bakker show on TBN and it was quite interesting and also he would have some interesting guests as well. I found him very relaxing at times and my favorite was the shows about putting Christ back in Christmas-which I think is quite true today. What do you think of the Jim Bakker show ?
          Is he out of prison yet? Jim Baker was sentenced to 45 years.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

Yeah William, I think it was some kind of mail fraud and he did 4 years in prison and then 6 months in a halfway house near Asheville. They let him out because they violated his (Bakkers) due process rights by saying stuff like-he was a "money-grubbing preacher" and they said it was a bit stiff of a penalty,so they let him go and the sentence was overturned. Thats been a long time though- back in 91 or so.
            Comment>

Like theophilus said I can't tell whether it is totally good or totally bad. Broadcasting the church programs can be helpful for those who are seriously ill, very elderly people who find it difficult to go and attend the church in person. Otherwise, people who are sound and healthy boycotting the church just because they are lazy is too bad in my opinion.
              Comment>

I don't think that the Tv churches will influence people from going attending church. The ardent church will always make the effort to be present in the church as best as they can. Those people who may stay at home and watch the service are those who would only occasionally attend or don't attend at all. Services on Tv can reach out to some people just as if they had attended church and the Tv service is very useful to those people that may find it very difficult to attend because of circumstance beyond their control.
                Comment>

I think if something has the power to help people then we can't label it as bad just because a few people decide to take advantage of it and abuse it to suit themselves. Think of all the sick and elderly people that these churches help, and anyone else who can't make it to church for one reason or another. Taking away these broadcasts doesn't necessarily mean more people would go to church but it does mean that anyone who is currently benefiting from them will suffer from the loss.
                  Comment>

I don't know about the TV services, but I follow a specific congregation that stream their services online for those who cannot get to church. Admittedly I follow it largely because as I have mentioned before there are few churches locally and none whose beliefs I agree with. We are still looking, but meanwhile it is important to be part of a congregation to us. There's a difference between TV though and a skyped or multi-channel online broadcast where you can join in, and where the vicar knows the participants by name and acknowledges them as part of his flock. I'm not sure that a TV broadcast show is worship, and it is easily abused by frauds and con artists like Peter Popoff (exposed by James Randi among others). I wouldn't want anyone to see what they do and mistake it for actual Christianity.
                    Comment>

There have been and are so many of the TV presentations that are "phony baloney" for those who are authentic Christians. One must depend solely on the Holy Spirit for divine interpretation and application of what is being presented. I do not hesitate to pray during a TV presentation that is scriptural, even when it is recorded service.My wife and I are physically unable to be in a Christian assembly every Sunday.
                      Comment>

I think a lot of good can be had in utilizing technology. The negative effects are observable when something actually replaces what is not replaceable. Think about communion, how and why it was instituted. Partaking of a virtual cracker goes against the very reason real bread is offered. Ironically, virtual assembly goes against the actual presence found in real communion.

Likewise, I think it interesting that the complaints about scam artist or wolves entering the sheep fold usually only occur under certain environments or groups such as Charismatics. Whether you agree or disagree, one has to admit that this Christian movement tends to be more open minded, and therefore susceptible to people with some very sharp teeth. But that same open mindedness also pushes the forefront of new technology. Unfortunately, the television or pod cast acts like a megaphone reaching out to more people and amplifying terrible unorthodoxy. It is important for people to fact check or search the scriptures diligently to see whether anything they hear is true, not just from television or podcasts, but also our very own church. The standard bearer is God, not some charismatic preacher or our favorite television personality. Whether information is true or false, in Tv land or Mega church, the symptom of those people flocking to areas are the same - they love to have their ears tickled. They want people to reassure them of what they want, and unfortunately not entering into real communion is one of them.

Isolating us as individuals from the Body of Christ is tactical of the enemy. I think, Satan loves it when God's children are isolated and feeling happy about that.... .

Tv church is the "next best thing" to being actually there. But it should always be the "next best thing" to the actual presence.

Just my thoughts,
                        God bless,
                        William
                        Comment>

Like many things, it has its positive aspects and its negative aspects. On one hand, yes, they can reach those who cannot attend and beyond since it's being broadcasted. But on the other hand, it can keep some people at home and not attending. I think that as long as their intentions are good and that spreading the word of God is what they want, this is a good thing. You never know who's tuning in that really needed a certain message. And of course, those who can't go will enjoy the message.
                          Comment>
                          Working...
                          X
                          Articles - News - SiteMap