Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Loving the things we think we should hate.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loving the things we think we should hate.

Do you think that it's possible to love the things that we believe we should hate in our world? Some subscribe to the idea that if you hate something you give it more fuel - for example, our war on terror has produced more terror. Our war on drugs, racism and so on has produced more of these things. There are more hospitals in the world today than ever before, and yet more people are sicker today than ever before.

What do you think about this? Could we make this all better by learning to love the things we think we should hate?

Originally posted by Sheilah View Post
    There are more hospitals in the world today than ever before, and yet more people are sicker today than ever before.
    That could be because people live longer today than people did in the past. Also many diseases that would have been fatal in the past are not treatable, but the treatment often requires spending time in a hospital.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Well, it might be a solution. I agree with you that hatred of these things has only worsened the situations rather than solving it. Love is one of the best solutions to all the problems and it has the power to heal everything. :)
      Comment>

Thanks for your responses. I see your point about people living longer, but even when you factor all of that in, more and more diseases are popping up. Just when we had cured polio and other diseases, now there is AIDS and cancer and others. That's the point I was trying to make.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Sheilah View Post
          Thanks for your responses. I see your point about people living longer, but even when you factor all of that in, more and more diseases are popping up. Just when we had cured polio and other diseases, now there is AIDS and cancer and others. That's the point I was trying to make.
          Cancer has been around for as long as people and possibly longer. The only difference in that now we can treat it, so people survive. One reason it looks like there are more diseases is because we can actually identify them, and people with them are living longer. Instead of just putting all deaths down to a lump in the abdomen (one condition) we can now tell which of several hundred conditions caused the lump. Take allergies. People with them used to die as babies and each death was put down to choking. Now we look for the allergy that causes it, and it can be treated. It's also distinct from choking.

This also means there are more diseases reported per person because people can survive one or two previously fatal conditions to die of another. In older days my grandfather would not have survived his heart attack, or pnuemonia, to live long enough to die of cancer thirty years later. I would have been dead five times before I reached my current age, so I may be one person, but I'm five different reports. In the 1950's, I'd have been one.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap