Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Opinions Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions Please

I want to ask everyone about working for a school who's mascot is the red devils. Thoughts please.

The school uses red devil as a mascot, does it teach about Satan and devils? I hope no. Therefore, I don't see any problem in working in the school that uses anti-christ symbol. As long as you have deep faith on Jesus and perform regular prayers, I think you should be fine. This is just my opinion, my point is not based on any theology. .
    Comment>

No they don't teach about Satanism or devils that I'm aware of lol. It's a public school in a conservative area. I was always under the understanding that the bible doesn't portray Satan as a red pointy horns pitchfork pointy tail guy. I think it was Dante maybe. Lucifer was the most beautiful of the angels the light bringer. But I am just curious how other christians view it. Thank you luri.
      Comment>

When I drew closer to the Lord I tossed a Duke Blue Devils shirt I had.
        Comment>

Originally posted by bquillen View Post
          No they don't teach about Satanism or devils that I'm aware of lol. It's a public school in a conservative area. I was always under the understanding that the bible doesn't portray Satan as a red pointy horns pitchfork pointy tail guy. I think it was Dante maybe. Lucifer was the most beautiful of the angels the light bringer. But I am just curious how other christians view it. Thank you luri.
          Martin Luther once wrote, “The best way to drive out the devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture, is to jeer and flout him for he cannot bear scorn.” As far as I know the origination of the red devil or thinking behind it stemmed from a Halloween practice, was as James Jordan explains, "to drive Satan from us we ridicule him. This is why the custom arose of portraying Satan in a ridiculous red suit with horns and a tail. . . . [T]he idea is to ridicule him because he has lost the battle with Jesus and he no longer has power over us.”

You may want to inquire on the history and thinking behind the Mascot, ask them to clarify, and if the person doesn't know, express your concern and ask if someone there can research it, because being a Conservative area or school it may be more traditional in meaning but having lost its meaning in time as the original red devil was jokingly mocked for heathendom by Christian people.

So contrary to what you may think, this particular school may be following a traditional Christian practice. Mocking the heathen schools by depicting the red devil which has no power over them. Then again, it may be completely unrelated and they may of assigned a new meaning which is completely unacceptable for a Christian.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

They may use it as a symbol which portrays as being tough and hard to beat and in order to beat them you will have a endure a really good fight, It's not focussing on the devil himself or what he might stand for. it's just to let you be aware that will have have to face a real battle and they will be coming with all those competitive tricks and crafts so they will not be easily defeated.
            Comment>

I want to ask everyone about working for a school who's mascot is the red devils. Thoughts please.
              Since Scripture says that we are to separate ourselves from all that is evil, or even has the appearance of evil, you might be better off looking for employment elsewhere. Cartoons today still show little red devils urging characters to do evil, while little angels oppose them.
              Comment>

I don't think they are encouraging Satanism or anything evil in there. Maybe it is a mascot to stress a major social issue or something. That is what I thought.
                Comment>

I think it is something else rather than promoting Satanism. It is a way to emphasize the things. We have to chose a way to do the things and it depends on us that whether we chose the right one or the evil. It all depends on our intentions.
                  Comment>

It's a complex situation I guess. I can't just conclude you shouldn't work for the school because of use of that symbol. What I'd have you do find out the history of the school and why the mascot. It may or may not mean devil. If it's satanic then you may have to look at other places for work. My humble view.
                    Comment>

Now that is very scary! Have had that experience with my High School. It was a Bull. But it was pulled down. Now for your case, as a Christian, you can bring it to the board for discussion.
                      In everything, we should keep God first. That way, you will be arguing with them on the basis of what the Bible says. If they're sober minds, they will give a thought and consider revising it.
                      Comment>

I think that you should be more concerned with what the values of the school itself are than what character it uses for a mascot. For many years, there has been a brand name called Red Devil, and they have nothing to do with Satan, they just make very good quality tools. So, when one looks at the company itself, there would be no reason not ro work there just because of the name of the products.
                        I think that this is probably a similar situation with the school where you want to work. If the school itself is reputable and has good standards, then I see no reason not to take a job there if you want to.
                        The Red Devil company started out by making a glass cutter which threw off shards of hot glass as it was being used to cut the glass. Someone called the little fiery shards "Red Devils" and the name stuck, and eventually became the name of everything made by that company.
                        So, as William mentioned, it is good to see why that name was chosen, because it might have nothing to do with wanting to admire the devil.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by Lucas View Post
                          Since Scripture says that we are to separate ourselves from all that is evil, or even has the appearance of evil, you might be better off looking for employment elsewhere. Cartoons today still show little red devils urging characters to do evil, while little angels oppose them.
                          The passage is 1 Thess. 5:22 "Abstain from every form of evil" -- we are not to purposely indulge in sinfulness.

In this day and age -- with sinfulness all around us -- we'd have to be hermits to not be exposed to sinfulness. And we Are to be a light in a dark world. A Christian is going to find challenges in most any job he / she gets. Isn't it far More important to be a Godly witness on whatever job you have?! Be the most conscientious employee possible. Give the boss the best work ethic he's ever seen in an employee. Be friendly, smile -- and Do Your Job.

A Christian employee might stick out 'like a sore thumb' Because of a good use of the English language // Not telling off-color jokes // dressing modestly. A number of years ago - at a church we went to -- one of the ladies took her Bible to work and read it during break / lunch time. Before long she had ladies asking her questions and a Bible study was started. So , ya just never know.
                          Comment>

Hi, I am a Christian and I don't see anything wrong with it. You don't work for that mascot and you don't worship it. Still, this is a bit strange for a school to have a mascot like that. Did you find out why and what it should cover? I would say that you should try to work there and if you will feel that you cannot integrate I suppose you can leave and look for something else!
                            Comment>

HI. Am keen to know what you finally decided. Members have shared their individual opinions, but what did you finally end up doing? Follow your heart. And share so that it can help someone else In a similar position.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap