Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Proselytisation in Conflict...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proselytisation in Conflict...

Okay, this wasn't something I thought I'd ever see but today, I witnessed a Jehovah's Witness and a Mormon missionary on the High Street during the Bank Holiday fair, each trying to convert the other. I ended up doing what everyone else trying to shop was: putting my head down and trying to get out of the line of fire. They hadn't quite got to the point of yelling heretic and damnation, but the JW was pointedly saying that eternal seperation from the true God was not heaven, and the Mormon had accused them of glorifying the flesh by refusing blood transfusions.

The vicar on the church stall a bit further down was just looking generally embarrassed. It seems when the older ladies of the Jehovah's witnesses arrived to put up their stand, one of the missionaries decided these nice ladies were prime pickings, and things went rapidly downhill when he realised who they were. The JW's were not willing to let go of someone who had started talking to them that easily, and then they realised who he was...

Whoever put their stands opposite each other has a nasty sense of humour.

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
    Okay, this wasn't something I thought I'd ever see but today, I witnessed a Jehovah's Witness and a Mormon missionary on the High Street during the Bank Holiday fair, each trying to convert the other. I ended up doing what everyone else trying to shop was: putting my head down and trying to get out of the line of fire. They hadn't quite got to the point of yelling heretic and damnation, but the JW was pointedly saying that eternal seperation from the true God was not heaven, and the Mormon had accused them of glorifying the flesh by refusing blood transfusions.

The vicar on the church stall a bit further down was just looking generally embarrassed. It seems when the older ladies of the Jehovah's witnesses arrived to put up their stand, one of the missionaries decided these nice ladies were prime pickings, and things went rapidly downhill when he realised who they were. The JW's were not willing to let go of someone who had started talking to them that easily, and then they realised who he was...

lol Sounds wonderful. I would have loved to have see that.
    Last edited by Origen; 05-29-2017, 09:20 AM.
    Comment>

Originally posted by ChatterBox

Oh wow. A good reminder that when we (Christians) get into an argument with each other, if we're not careful, we leave a bad impression on passer-bys.
      Comment>

Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post
        Oh wow. A good reminder that when we (Christians) get into an argument with each other, if we're not careful, we leave a bad impression on passer-bys.
        Here are my three favorite verses to help avoid this kind of thing, which, if followed, should end all worries of leaving this kind of a bad impression on passersby, either on the street, or from worldwide onlookers at a place like this one.

1 Peter 3
        15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

Matthew 7
        12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Matthew 5
        16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

--David
        Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

Mormon and JW proselytization reminds me of Matthew 23:15 KJV. It's been roughly three months now of dedicating my life to Christ and I've successfully pulled my girlfriend out of the Mormon faith. Her parents are not pleased, and neither is she because she knows they have fallen trap to a doctrine of devils.
          Comment>

Originally posted by trist View Post
            i've successfully pulled my girlfriend out of the mormon faith
            That is very good news :)

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
            Comment>

Originally posted by David Lee View Post
              Here are my three favorite verses to help avoid this kind of thing, which, if followed, should end all worries of leaving this kind of a bad impression on passersby, either on the street, or from worldwide onlookers at a place like this one.
              --David
              I'm not sure if those verses are in the Book of Mormon or the Jehovah's Witness Bible, or if the missionaries just weren't following them.

I did have an update from my neighbour who went along much later. When he was there, both sides were back on their stands, giving sidelong glares across the street, and ostentatiously ignoring each other while trying to convince passerbys they had the one and only true good news. There were a couple of rather bemused PSCO's (Police Community Support Officers, who's job is to help with neighbourhood issues) standing nearby looking completely befuzzled. I guess they weren't expecting to have to defuse a holy war at a town fair!
              Comment>

I'm not sure if those verses are in the Book of Mormon or the Jehovah's Witness Bible, or if the missionaries just weren't following them.
                :)

I did have an update from my neighbour who went along much later. When he was there, both sides were back on their stands, giving sidelong glares across the street, and ostentatiously ignoring each other while trying to convince passerbys they had the one and only true good news. There were a couple of rather bemused PSCO's (Police Community Support Officers, who's job is to help with neighbourhood issues) standing nearby looking completely befuzzled. I guess they weren't expecting to have to defuse a holy war at a town fair!
                :)

Comment>

I guess they weren't expecting to have to defuse a holy war at a town fair!
                  I think their argument should have been called an unholy war since both teach false doctrines.
                  Clyde Herrin's Blog
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap