Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Soul Mates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soul Mates

I apologize if I am putting this topic in the wrong place, I looked around and could not find a better place for it. Is there anything in the bible that talks about people having soul mates here on Earth. I have read and heard a lot on the topic throughout my life and was wondering if there is any truth to it. If so, how do you know when you have met your soul mate in life? Does everyone find their soul mate?

The idea of soul mates comes from Greece rather than the Bible. I've heard it attributed to Plato, who thought men and women were created as one creature then split. The popular view of soul mates involves searching until you find them, but Christianity takes a different view: once you have married someone, that person becomes your partner for life. While there could be mulitple people you could have godly marriages with, you just have to choose one. It still means you should take your time until you have found the right person to marry, because it is a lifetime commitment.

I think some people want a soulmate because they believe that would give them an easy marriage and a life without arguments, troubles and plain sailing. Unfortunately life doesn't work like that, and the work really starts afterwards, when you have to stay together through everything it can throw at you.
    "My Husband Is Not My Soul Mate" hardly seems romantic from a wife on her first wedding anniversary, but this viral article set out to challenge common notions about romance, and Christian counselors agree – God does not have "the one," your perfect spouse, eternally chosen ...
    Comment>

I do not think there is such thing as a perfect marriage either. You and your spouse are bound to have at least some problems and arguments during your life together. It is a matter of working through your problems and remembering why you got married to begin with. Even the best relationships have turbulent times that must be overcome. It is interesting because of the sheer differences of men and women and the way they view the world. Thanks for clearing up the soul mated explanation.
      Comment>

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
        I think some people want a soulmate because they believe that would give them an easy marriage and a life without arguments, troubles and plain sailing. Unfortunately life doesn't work like that, and the work really starts afterwards, when you have to stay together through everything it can throw at you.
        Interesting observation. It's true that many people look at the "meant to be" idea as the easy relationship.
        However a different way to look at the idea of soul mates, is the complete opposite one: That the two soul mates will be together no matter what, and return to each other regardless of how many times life or their own mistakes lead them apart.
        Maybe it's also about the desire to be loved the way you are, to be loved as a person who was made for you would.

Overall this seems to be the issue of people romanticising the hardship of leading a succesful relationship.

The only thing resembling anything near the idea of soul mates in the Bible, in my opinion, is Adam and Eve.
        Comment>

Nowhere is the concept of "soul mates" taught anywhere in the Bible. I don't normally reference this resource, but Got Questions actually has a pretty decent article on the topic: Is there such a thing as soul mates?

Hope that helps. :)
          Comment>

I don't about where this term comes but my soul mate is y best friend. She has been with me for five years now and we hardly fight. We are more like sisters without a blood relationship and I consider herself more precious than my life. It is because of her friendship I consider herself as my soul mate.
            Comment>

I think even if you find your Soulmate,its still a relationship and all relationships have problems ,but you might have fewer problems than most relationships. Also I think a real Soulmate can help you with your issues as well,a bit more than one that is not,also you can learn from your mistakes and grow,maybe not judge each other so much if you are both aware of the issue. Anybody see the movie Soulmate that takes place in the welsh countryside,she deals with a ghost that she thinks is her Soulmate?
              Comment>

A soulmate, for me, is someone whom you share coincidental similarities. Like you have the same birthday, you collect the same stuff, eat at the same place, drive the same car etc. I have known people who have met their soulmates and married them. Some didn't end up with them. I didn't end up with my soulmate, either.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap