Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Avoiding friends who aren't believers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoiding friends who aren't believers.

Do you avoid your friends who thought believed in Jesus only to realize they actually don't. They may sometimes even become annoying and you have to clean some of their messes.
    Do you Confront them or do you look for other friends to hang out with? I overheard some group of believers claiming that they wouldn't bother hanging out with a non believer.
    ​​​​What actions do you take ?

Originally posted by ptahm22 View Post
    Do you avoid your friends who thought believed in Jesus only to realize they actually don't. They may sometimes even become annoying and you have to clean some of their messes.
    Do you Confront them or do you look for other friends to hang out with? I overheard some group of believers claiming that they wouldn't bother hanging out with a non believer.
    What actions do you take ?
    Personally, I don't hang around non-Christians. I try to choose my friends wisely rather than falling into relationships. Though I have that luxury because I do not work.

This is something I wish my children would understand. Yesterday, my step-son was over a friend's house. A friend of his friend decided to steal his cell phone which my wife is still paying off. Hope the "friend" thinks it well worth a felony charge given the phone's price. Tonight after she gets off work we'll be heading to the police station.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Personally, I had to cut ✂ off a relationship with a friend who encouraged me to sin. Other than that, I still kept some friends that hadn't recieved Christ as their savior. I'll have to check Proverbs. There are some verses in there that relate to this topic.
      Comment>

We are commanded to share the gospel with unbelievers. We can't do that effectively if we refuse to associate with them. However we must refuse to take part in any immoral activities or anything where we might be tempted to sin. That means there may be times we should refuse to be involved in what they do.
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

The main religion in my country is Hinduism. Therefore, I have many friends who are Non-Christians. I find them all good people to be with. However, I am not so close to them that they might lead me to sin. I maintain my distance. But, I don't think that if a person is not a believer then he/she is not a good person. I have seen many Christians who believe in Christ but indulge in immoral activities and sin.
          Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
            We are commanded to share the gospel with unbelievers. We can't do that effectively if we refuse to associate with them. However we must refuse to take part in any immoral activities or anything where we might be tempted to sin. That means there may be times we should refuse to be involved in what they do.
            Agreed, but associating with non-christians does not necessarily mean continuing to associate with people who prove by their actions that they are of bad character and not open to reform. If associating or being friends with someone drags you both down, rather than lifting you both up, it is not an association you should keep for either of your sakes. Wasn't it St. Paul who said that if their minds were closed to you, you should shake the dust from your feet and move on?
            Comment>

ChatterBox it was Jesus who said "shake the dust off your feet" when his disciples were to go and share of Christ's teachings on their own ( mid-ministry).
              Comment>

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
                Wasn't it St. Paul who said that if their minds were closed to you, you should shake the dust from your feet and move on?
                It was Jesus who said it.

And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town.
                Matthew 10:14

But Paul did it.

But they shook off the dust from their feet against them and went to Iconium.
                Acts 13:51
                Clyde Herrin's Blog
                Comment>

Here are two verses I mentioned: Proverbs 22:24-25 and Proverbs 13:20
                  Comment>

Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post
                    Here are two verses I mentioned: Proverbs 22:24-25 and Proverbs 13:20
                    Psalm 1

Blessed is the man[a]
                    who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
                    nor stands in the way of sinners,
                    nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
                    but his delight is in the law[b] of the Lord,
                    and on his law he meditates day and night.

God bless,
                    William
                    Comment>

Whenever I post scripture on a topic, I recieve an email telling me I have a new like. This is how I know I am at the right forum site.👌
                      Comment>

No I never do that. I often make friends my ignoring their religion. For me religion is something very personal choice. It should never affect your friendship. So I often have friendship with non believers.
                        Comment>

I can't possibly avoid non-believers because I have close relatives who attend churches that have major doctrinal differences with the church I'm attending. They've never made any attempt to convert us to their faith, either, so we simply co-exist and respect each other's faith. In my job and business, I normally encounter people of various shades and religion. I don't avoid friends on the basis of what one believes in, but I certainly avoid people who waste my time in senseless conversations/debates where no one comes out a winner and those who will try to influence me to depart from the truth. I will be happy, though, to develop more friendships within the church.
                          Comment>

Jesus told us to love others as he has loved them. Looking at his life and his relationships and how he loved others I see that he often hung out with sinners and unbelievers but that he was not equally yoked with them. He also had a specifically chosen set of friends and disciples he shared more with and spent more time with. Usually the only way unbelievers are going to come to Christ and become believers is by what they see others doing and from the contacts and relationships they have with others: family, workplace, and group participation.
                            Comment>

I wonder if those people who may deem it inappropriate to hang out with non-Christians.Consider that at some time they were non-Christians and it might have been through the intervention of Christians at that time that they were able to be saved. Because someone is not saved that doesn't mean that he or she may not uphold good moral values.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap