Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Backsliding. Can a Christian backslide?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Backsliding. Can a Christian backslide?

    Calvinism says you as a christian can not backslide. What are your thoughts. Please use Scripture to back up your view point. I will state my position after a few posts are made.


    justme

  • #2
    Why withhold your position?

    I don't like the term, "backside", but I think I understand what you are referring to, and I don't know any Calvinists who think what you've posed in the OP.
    Comment>

    • #3
      I believe a christian can backslide, look at the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15). I think what's important, especially in a Calvinistic worldview, is the fact that God finishes the good work he's started in us (Phi 1:6). Salvation is acheived immediately by grace, but sanctification is a process (Heb 10:13). Praise God he is faithful (Hebrews 10:23)!
      Comment>

      • #4
        Originally posted by thatbrian View Post
        Why withhold your position?

        I don't like the term, "backside", but I think I understand what you are referring to, and I don't know any Calvinists who think what you've posed in the OP.
        Neither am I aware of any Calvinist that claims a Christian cannot backslide.

        justme I recommend stating your argument and allowing members to test your premise and respond. For clarity's sake can you also define "backslide"?

        God bless,
        William
        Comment>

        • #5
          Bottom line we can still sin and I do. It gets easier the closer I walk with God but I still can fall into sin. If by backsliding you mean continued living in sin knowing you are sinning is possible. However, I will say the times I've done this I get under conviction and I eventually repent. It's happened recently and I'm not perfect but the one I serve is. I'm almost 51 and I know by experience that the Christian walk is that. A daily walk with God means I daily talk and walk with him. Reading his word is a big part in that. When I don't do these things I slip away from that close walk and that's me moving not Him.
          Comment>

          • #6
            Absolutely a Christian can backslide. None of us are perfect or without sin, and we all struggle with matters of faith. One can lose one's faith, but God holds the door open for us and forgives us if we come to him.
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by Jester85 View Post
              One can lose one's faith, but God holds the door open for us and forgives us if we come to him.
              When you speak of losing faith, do you mean that a person can cease to be a Christian?
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

              • #8
                Of course a person can decide to no longer be a Christian, just as a person can choose to become a Christian.
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jester85 View Post
                  Of course a person can decide to no longer be a Christian, just as a person can choose to become a Christian.
                  There is a whole doctrine that would disagree with this assessment. It basically suggests that anyone who is a Christian was meant to be one, and those who "chooses not to be one" never was one in the first place.
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jester85 View Post
                    Of course a person can decide to no longer be a Christian, just as a person can choose to become a Christian.
                    Here is what the Bible says about people who decide they no longer want to be Christians.

                    They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us.
                    1 John 2:19


                    A person can profess to be a Christian, and even believe he is a Christian, and yet not be truly saved. There was a time in my life when I was in that condition. I had been baptized and become a member of a church, and I was active in the church, but I was not really saved. Later I began listening to a Christian radio program that explained the way of salvation so I really became a Christian, but if instead I had left the church and ceased professing to be a believer it would seem to me and to others that I had stopped being a Christian. In fact I would never have been a Christian in the first place. A real Christian receives a new life that is eternal and while he can fall into sin he can't lose this new life and cease to be a Christian.
                    Clyde Herrin's Blog
                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      Originally posted by justme View Post
                      Calvinism says you as a christian can not backslide. What are your thoughts. Please use Scripture to back up your view point. I will state my position after a few posts are made.


                      justme
                      You either have the mind of Christ or you don't. Those who believe in backsliding Christians don't know what having the mind of Christ is about.

                      1 Corinthians 2
                      10: God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God.
                      11: For what person knows a man's thoughts except the spirit of the man which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.
                      12: Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is from God, that we might understand the gifts bestowed on us by God.
                      13: And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who possess the Spirit.
                      14: The unspiritual man does not receive the gifts of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.
                      15: The spiritual man judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one.
                      16: "For who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.
                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        Again, justme I ask that you clarify what it means to "backslide". Now that members have chimed in, we have varying definitions, from sinning to abandoning the faith altogether.

                        Perhaps you'd also clarify your understanding of OSAS and then the Calvinist doctrine of Perseverance of the Saints?

                        God bless,
                        William
                        Comment>

                        • #13
                          Speaking from experience, you can totally backslide. I had been prayerful and walked by faith then one day I thought God had not answered my prayers. I stopped praying, reading the Bible, and even going to church. This got worse and. What happens is that you can back slide but you can't be born again twice. If you feel like you're loosing track, repent your sins and God will forgive you.
                          I stand to be corrected.
                          Comment>

                          • #14
                            Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post
                            I believe a christian can backslide, look at the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15). I think what's important, especially in a Calvinistic worldview, is the fact that God finishes the good work he's started in us (Phi 1:6). Salvation is acheived immediately by grace, but sanctification is a process (Heb 10:13). Praise God he is faithful (Hebrews 10:23)!
                            Very good point!

                            justme
                            Comment>

                            • #15
                              Originally posted by William View Post
                              Again, justme I ask that you clarify what it means to "backslide". Now that members have chimed in, we have varying definitions, from sinning to abandoning the faith altogether.

                              Perhaps you'd also clarify your understanding of OSAS and then the Calvinist doctrine of Perseverance of the Saints?

                              God bless,
                              William

                              I am sorry for be rather late to respond, I have been enduring some serious back issues.


                              I do believe Christians can sin and so does the Bible ! John 1:10 But the 5 point Calvinism doe not, they would say you were not saved and now you need to make it real.

                              Here is an extreme example; After more than a decade of hell from her husband a wife is talking with someone at work and before you know it they are involved in an affair. Both the husband and wife made life for each other extremely difficult. These both were active christians and they did come to the point where both saw they were wrong. The husband said he was mean and understood how he drove his wife into the arms of another man.

                              I was there in counseling the couple. The end result was the both repented and the marriage was restored and the couple worked to heal their marriage. Their christian lives were renewed and have lived for the lord from then on. AS far as I know they are doing good, I hear from him once a year or so.

                              Some would say she could not have been saved.

                              I believe she was, but a Calvinist would not agree.

                              That's where I do not agree with calvinism. I am more interested in healing Christians that have given up, because they believe they have sinned so deeply they can not be restored. This happens more than we can believe.


                              Any ideas?



                              justme
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap