Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Purgatory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purgatory

I sincerely want to know more about the teaching of Purgatory. Is it Biblical, if yes, I would like some Bible references.
    Thank you

Hi Tony,

Have you read through the Bible?
    Last edited by thatbrian; 01-11-2017, 11:46 PM.
    Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post
      Hi Tony,

Have you read through the Bible?
      I am not a Bible scholar at the moment. I am just asking the question to be cleared.
      Comment>

Originally posted by tony View Post

I am not a Bible scholar at the moment. I am just asking the question to be cleared.
        I asked because I didn't want to assume anything.

You don't have to be a scholar to read the Bible. Most of it is pretty straightforward.

There are a few verses that some (Roman Catholics) use to support the idea of purgatory, but it is a real stretch to try to make them say what they do not.

One argument is all it takes to dismiss the idea of purgatory, and that is found in the idea of God's justice. We understand the Christ's death was payment for our sin; therefore, it would be unjust for the Father to demand two payments for the same debt. The debt is paid by Christ.

The idea of purgatory reveals how much those who hold to it, are trusting in their own righteousness, rather than Christ's, so save them.

No. Purgatory is not a biblical concept.

Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post

I asked because I didn't want to assume anything.

You don't have to be a scholar to read the Bible. Most of it is pretty straightforward.

There are a few verses that some (Roman Catholics) use to support the idea of purgatory, but it is a real stretch to try to make them say what they do not.

One argument is all it takes to dismiss the idea of purgatory, and that is found in the idea of God's justice. We understand the Christ's death was payment for our sin; therefore, it would be unjust for the Father to demand two payments for the same debt. The debt is paid by Christ.

The idea of purgatory reveals how much those who hold to it, are trusting in their own righteousness, rather than Christ's, so save them.

No. Purgatory is not a biblical concept.

I agree with you, Jesus Christ payed the ultimate price for our sins and we don't need any further purification other than believeling in him. I won't judge those believe in Purgatory but I believe in the Bible and it doesn't give any reference on Purgatory.
          Comment>

Originally posted by ptahm22 View Post
            I agree with you, Jesus Christ payed the ultimate price for our sins and we don't need any further purification other than believeling in him. I won't judge those believe in Purgatory but I believe in the Bible and it doesn't give any reference on Purgatory.
            If really the Bible does not give any reference on Purgatory then the big question would be where the teaching come from. Just asking
            Comment>

Originally posted by tony View Post
              If really the Bible does not give any reference on Purgatory then the big question would be where the teaching come from. Just asking
              There are a number of factors.

(1) Misunderstanding certain passages
              (2) Relying on non-canonical texts
              (3) Developing theologies within the Church long after the close of the canon.
              Last edited by Origen; 01-16-2017, 12:01 PM.
              Comment>

The apocrypha comes to mind as a source for the doctrine of purgatory and praying to the saints.
                Comment>

It is also a 'logical necessity' of the Catholic belief in the function of confession.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

This is something that we all believe, but the Roman Catholic Church would place a spin on this that ONLY those sins which you confessed (to a Priest) are forgiven, thus there will be unconfessed sins (including any sinful thoughts between your last confession and death) that will be unforgiven. So they need a mechanism for paying this 'unpaid fine' and came up with purgatory.
                  Comment>

What I would like to add may God help us all. Personally before I accept a doctrine fully I always want to be very sure it has a root in the Bible.
                    I am aware of the saying, what we agreed on Earth will also be agreed Above. This I understand to be in accordance with the word of God. I stand to be corrected.
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap