Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

When to take down christmas decorations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to take down christmas decorations?

I've always taken down the Christmas decorations on Twelth Night, which is the 5th January for us. Now we've moved we have people who leave them up until the end of January, and a few who never take them down (Christmas lights are a competitive sport here, and some of those emplacements are permanent, but only turned on for Dec & Jan.). Others remove them immediately after New Year and wonder why we leave them up so long. By my old church, they had to be removed for the vigil for the feast of Epiphany, but it seems that has different dates depending on church.

So what I am asking is when do you remove them, and why? Are there any Christian or church traditions that affect when you remove them?

This isn't a problem for me. I never put up any Christmas decorations in the first place. :)
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

My mom always used to take them down a few days after Christmas (mostly just procrastinating because of how much work it was). I don't think there's any set timetable, though I do think it starts to look tacky when it's halfway through January and your house is still all blinged out like Clark Griswald.
      Comment>

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
        I've always taken down the Christmas decorations on Twelth Night, which is the 5th January for us. Now we've moved we have people who leave them up until the end of January, and a few who never take them down (Christmas lights are a competitive sport here, and some of those emplacements are permanent, but only turned on for Dec & Jan.). Others remove them immediately after New Year and wonder why we leave them up so long. By my old church, they had to be removed for the vigil for the feast of Epiphany, but it seems that has different dates depending on church.

So what I am asking is when do you remove them, and why? Are there any Christian or church traditions that affect when you remove them?
        After my birthday, aka epiphany.
        Comment>

Growing up my family always took the Christmas Decorations down after New Years Day. So now that I'm grown I carry the same tradition of the way my Mother and Father did it.
          Comment>

We always took the Christmas Decorations down after the 12th Day - the Feast of the Kings. But in my in-laws place, it is after the new year.
            Comment>

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post

I follow your custom. Christmas begins on Christmas (so the tree goes up on Christmas Eve) and lasts for 12 days. Among other things, this allows us to celebrate Advent and Epiphany - sadly "lost" in modern Christianity amide the lenghening of Christmas (largely for economic reasons) - so long that I fear some people are sick of it by the time Christmas even begins, lol

A blessed Epiphany to you and yours!

Pax Christi
              Comment>

I took the decoration after the New Year day. Not following any religious recommendation but keeping up till that time is just celebrating or rather keeping up the festive mood in my opinion.
                Comment>

It's considered as bad luck if you keep the decorations up for so long. Most people take them down on the twelveth day after Christmas which is January 5. Others may take them down on January 6, the epiphany, but this depends on your definition. If you're late you can wait till February 2 which is also a traditional day from the 1500's of taking down Christmas decorations.
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap