Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

What Is Truth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Truth?

In a thread posted on Facebook by Ravi Zecharias concerning the new idea of a "Post Truth" society, someone actually quoted Pontius Pilate. She actually asked "What is truth". I am kind of ashamed to say I couldn't think of a decent answer at the time, and it's been bugging me ever since. How do we answer a question like that? Of course facts are truth, but when Jesus Christ dares disagree with society at large and call the unlovable lovable, how do we explain what truth means in the opinion of God?
    Last edited by Meg; 12-30-2016, 07:50 PM. Reason: I really don't type well :-(

For me, facts are only part of truth. Truth has more to it than that:

The facts that are true
    The honour to not deny the truth when it is convenient
    The courage to speak the truth even when it is unpopular.

Pilate's line is what I would expect to here from most politicians, who believe truth is what they make it not what it actually is. This has lead to so many innocents suffering because they can be overlooked for "political expediency". They don't mean they don't know what the truth is, they mean they don't care.

(I've had a bit more time behind a keyboard to phrase this. Don't expect me to come up with it on the fly!)
    Comment>

The reason I started this thread is that a lot of people are really confused about how to define truth, what truth means or should mean. These are very strange times we are living in, and it seems we need some very strong answers to offer to ordinary people whose confidence in the future has been badly damaged by these ugly politicians and their remorseless deceit.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Meg View Post
        The reason I started this thread is that a lot of people are really confused about how to define truth, what truth means or should mean. These are very strange times we are living in, and it seems we need some very strong answers to offer to ordinary people whose confidence in the future has been badly damaged by these ugly politicians and their remorseless deceit.
        I think that the definition of truth is fairly simply. Dr. Peter Kreeft (professor of philosophy) put it succinctly: Truth is simply saying what is real, saying of what-is that it is.
        Comment>

Literal answer: Something true

truth is dependant upon many variables and hard to define

I know Jesus is Truth John 14:6

I wonder if the original language of this verse is significant... Origen 😔
          Comment>

I talked this over with my husband, and his insights were pretty solid. The basis of his insight is that truth, in order to be true, requires a fixed point that does not change. I asked him to write up his thoughts, and he wrote the following:

The reason why many do not know "what is truth", is that truth for them is subjective, not objective. They base truth upon their own standard of "truth" and that can change as they change. And in today's world, those who are willing to become more "plastic" and fit themselves to whatever "mold" is asked of them are being acknowledged and promoted. This means their basis for 'truth" changes far more readily as well. They wish the "truth" to be what they want it to be at a moment's notice, and changeable so that they can be what they want, when they want and how they want, and always have what they choose to be accepted as "true". They do not want to have to take a stand and solidly state something for which ridicule, criticism and condemnation are possible, are not popular, and would offend those who have differing opinions and views.

But truth cannot be based on relative things, as what is common to one is not common to another, and truth must be something that is universal and unchanging. When all points of view, opinions and concepts are considered true, you have the death of truth. Therefore, truth must not only be objective, it also cannot be based upon ourselves, as our points of view, experiences and opinions are based on skewed perspectives that are not truly objective, and make us "unreliable waypoints" that shift and move. And when "truth" changes and becomes something else, it is no longer truth.

When Jesus Christ said "I Am the Way, the Truth and the Life", it shows us that He alone is the path, the unmoving waypoint and life itself. He doesn't change, and is steady as a Rock. He does not change His mind or opinion for another, but says we must change and accept Him as what He says He is. God is the only true objective opinion and viewpoint in the universe, as He does not change, is constant, is not altered or swayed, and is not "plastic" or malleable. What He says is not up for debate, He does not care if it is popular or not, doesn't care whom it offends, and is not seeking to be "popular".
            Comment>

In the past most people believed that truth was something objective, that it was the same for everyone. Now many believe that truth is subjective and what is true for one person might not be true for someone else. Answers in Genesis recently published an article on this change.

2016: The Year Truth Was Irrelevant | Answers in Genesis
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
                I think that the definition of truth is fairly simply. Dr. Peter Kreeft (professor of philosophy) put it succinctly: Truth is simply saying what is real, saying of what-is that it is.
                Right, truth corresponds to reality (what is). I heard a famous Gnostic once debate a Christian apologist. The Gnostic claimed there is no truth. Both sides presented an argument, and the audience was to vote at its closing. The Apologist won the argument when he asked the question, why are you voting as to whether truth exists in this debate? Is it because you believe that one side is more closer to the truth than the other?

God bless,
                William
                Comment>

Great article, Theophilus
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap