Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

The new year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new year

On December 31 a lot of people stay up until midnight to welcome in the new year. According to the Bible it isn't necessary to stay up this late. In the Bible a day starts at sunset of the previous day, so that mean the new year actually starts at sunset on December 31. It is possible to celebrate the beginning of the new year without losing any sleep.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog

While the chaos of the world parties itself straight to hell may we live each day for the glory of God and the coming of His glorious kingdom.
    Comment>

Maybe, but midnight provides an easy demarcation between the old year and the new.

Staying up isn't always about a party either. We view it less as a celebration and a time for family, reflecting on the old year, and thinking ahead to the new, more of a vigil and quiet contemplation than a party. This year it was more a final goodbye to those family members who passed away during 2016, and there was far too many of them. We gave up on the modern celebrations though: too many fireworks and pop music, no Auld Lang Syne and reflection, and nothing about people coming together.

The only time I went to the big New Year in London, I've never seen people in a crowd look so isolated as the one on the banks of the Thames, where instead of cheering and hugging and holding hands, they were all holding up phones and staring fixedly at the location where the fireworks display would start in dead silence. It was sad, lonely, and eerie.
      Comment>

The concept of the beginning of a new day at midnight (or 12 O' Clock in the night) was propounded by science. Various religions have their own theory regarding when a day starts. In Christianity, a new day begins after sun sets, according to the Islam, a new day begins when the moon rises and in Hinduism a new day begins when sun rises.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Dominique View Post
          The concept of the beginning of a new day at midnight (or 12 O' Clock in the night) was propounded by science. Various religions have their own theory regarding when a day starts. In Christianity, a new day begins after sun sets, according to the Islam, a new day begins when the moon rises and in Hinduism a new day begins when sun rises.
          True, but the concept of midnight definitely has a religious role in some Christian groups, for example Midnight Mass, which is held around midnight on Christmas Eve, when Christmas Eve becomes Christmas Day. SInce that started in the fourth century, it is definitely a long held tradition, although apparently in 2009 the Catholic faith recently replaced it with "Mass during the Night", a mass held at any time on Christmas Eve.
          Comment>

It is not necessary to stay up late to celebrate New Year. We don't go for midnight mass every year. But we do go for the New Year Mass in the morning. Yes, for Christmas, we attend the midnight mass. But not for new year.
            Comment>

I think it is just the excitement of starting a new calender that keeps people awake at night on 31st December. Obviously it is not necessary but just an exciting moment that people don't want to miss.

Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                On December 31 a lot of people stay up until midnight to welcome in the new year. According to the Bible it isn't necessary to stay up this late. In the Bible a day starts at sunset of the previous day, so that mean the new year actually starts at sunset on December 31. It is possible to celebrate the beginning of the new year without losing any sleep.
                I agree with you. However, it's considered normal in my country to stay up until late in the night. It's the culture. People gather in churches, clubs and other social places to" usher in" the new year. I've never stayed up though.
                Comment>

New Year should be celebrated while asking forgiveness for our previous years wrong doings and asking strength happiness and peace for upcoming year.
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap