Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Christmas traditions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas traditions

Since we have people here from so many denominations, I'd love to learn more about Christian Christmas traditions from around the world. The only tradition I can think of that sometimes surprises people about my own church was that while Christmas Day was a time for family, Boxing Day was considered a day for charity, when gifts should be given to those requiring aid or with less support. I think it grew from the tradition of the christmas boxes - after all, if we were fortunate enough to have a good Christmas Day, it is important to remember those who may not have been.

Boxing day was actually a day where the wealthy would give gifts to their house staff, along with giving them the day off after having to work on Christmas day.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
      Boxing day was actually a day where the wealthy would give gifts to their house staff, along with giving them the day off after having to work on Christmas day.
      Yes. Traditionally they would send them home with Christmas boxes, containging anything from food to clothes or other gifts that could be shared with their families. I think it then moved onto giving gifts to tradesmen and other people who had done services for the household through the year, particularly the ones who weren't paid.

Since few people have servants nowadays, I rather liked the updated tradition. It was a way to give something back and remind the children that Christmas isn't just about getting gifts, it is about giving. It also meant they were aware that there are those less fortunate, which puts what they received into perspective.
      Comment>

I was thinking that Boxing day is the day we unwrap the gifts that we received the previous day which was Christmas
        Comment>

Originally posted by tony View Post

I was thinking that Boxing day is the day we unwrap the gifts that we received the previous day which was Christmas
          Why would you want to wait until the day after Christmas to open your presents? That would just be evidence of some mean parents, unless of course you have a tradition to completely focus on Christ on His day.
          Comment>

Why would you want to wait until the day after Christmas to open your presents? That would just be evidence of some mean parents, unless of course you have a tradition to completely focus on Christ on His day.
            In that case maybe I was wrong in my thinking about Boxing Day. I know it's courteous to open wrapped gifts the moment they are received. It would be nice if you can shed more light on this.
            Comment>

I am Baptist, and Holiday traditions are different all over the world. How we celebrate Christmas varies from culture to country.

But one thing remains the same, the focal point of Christmas is that Christ was born this day.
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap