Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Having second thoughts!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having second thoughts!

Dear forum!

I will start with a short introduction to who I am and followed by my thoughts. I have a bachelor degree in Marketing and Media. I work with strategic marketing for a living and I've always been fascinated by coding your own website as well as "assembling" it with content management systems (CMS) like wordpress and alike.
    Last week I was contacted by an old friend from highschool. He asked me to help him out with his website and as a good friend and christian I agreed to help him. He wanted a website for his newly started business. As we got into details with what he was after I got the feeling that something was wrong with this "job". I started asking questions to what his new website/company should be selling and at first he wasn't too happy about letting me know. After a while I found out that it was an affiliate website - one of those that compares consumer loans and brings people into debt like MONEYBANKER.

When I found out what the company was all about I had second thoughts! However as Deuteronomy and Matthew says heal the sick, open wide your hand to your brother? What would you do in my situation? Should I help my friend out and go against my faith or tell him that this is a project that I cannot help him with due to moral reasons and thereby cast out the "demons"? Deuteronomy 15:11

"For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land." Matthew 10:8

"Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay."

Please help me - guide me towards the correct answer/approach. I am in a time of needs!

Originally posted by Fenderen View Post
    Dear forum!

I will start with a short introduction to who I am and followed by my thoughts. I have a bachelor degree in Marketing and Media. I work with strategic marketing for a living and I've always been fascinated by coding your own website as well as "assembling" it with content management systems (CMS) like wordpress and alike.
    Last week I was contacted by an old friend from highschool. He asked me to help him out with his website and as a good friend and christian I agreed to help him. He wanted a website for his newly started business. As we got into details with what he was after I got the feeling that something was wrong with this "job". I started asking questions to what his new website/company should be selling and at first he wasn't too happy about letting me know. After a while I found out that it was an affiliate website - one of those that compares consumer loans and brings people into debt like MONEYBANKER.

When I found out what the company was all about I had second thoughts! However as Deuteronomy and Matthew says heal the sick, open wide your hand to your brother? What would you do in my situation? Should I help my friend out and go against my faith or tell him that this is a project that I cannot help him with due to moral reasons and thereby cast out the "demons"? Deuteronomy 15:11

"For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land." Matthew 10:8

"Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay."

Please help me - guide me towards the correct answer/approach. I am in a time of needs!
    I and fellow Christians have fallen into the same situation. I am contacted and approached to do web work for others on a consistent basis. I refuse to do work for anyone that I believe promotes unethical business. It is my opinion that you should abandon ship if you believe the business to be unethical. If your brother leads you to sin, Fenderen, like a member in the body of Christ, then pluck out your eye or cut off your hand that you are reaching out with Matthew 5:29-30.

Seems like you're already past the point of letting your right hand know what your left hand is doing Matthew 6:3. Don't lose your righteousness, dear brother, when giving alms!

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

The Bible says we should have nothing to do with any kind of immoral activities. It also says we should always keep our promises. When the Israelites conquered the land of Canaan God told them not to make any kind of treaty with the inhabitants. Joshua 9 tells how the Gibeonites tricked them into making a covenant by pretending to be from a land outside of Canaan. When they discovered the truth they had to honor their alliance with the Gibeonites because of their oath to help them. It appears you are faced with the same dilemma the Israelites faced.

Israel entered into an illegal covenant because they failed to ask God's guidance. You failed to find out what kind of business your friend was in before you agreed to help. It was wrong for you to promise to help him but now that you have done so you are bound by your promise. Even when we make mistakes God can use our mistakes to bring about good. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to keep your promise but while doing so try to show your friend that what he is doing is wrong. Also, pray that God will show you how to bring about some good from the situation you are in.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

It is only natural to trust your friend, so finding out what he was doing must have been an unpleasant shock. Could you simply talk to him, say that you have found that what he is doing goes against your beliefs, and ask to be released from your promise? If you know any technologists whose beliefs this would not contravene, you could fulfil your promise by pointing him towards them. If he won't release you from your promise, even knowing you are unhappy, then I think you need to fulfil it.

Unfortunately, if he has come this far, you are extremely unlikely to be able to change his mind about this endeavour altogether. However the FCA rules about price comparison sites on loans are extremely stringent and tightened at the end of last year. It might be worth checking them, because if what he is planning contravenes those rules, he needs to be aware, and the site could not proceed anyway. If he is not religious, that might carry more weight with him.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap