Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Alternatives to Traditional Healthcare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatives to Traditional Healthcare

I am currently staring down the barrel of a new open enrollment here at work and I am not liking what I am seeing. I basically have two options. One is extremely reasonable in monthly premium, but he closest hospital is over 50 miles away, the other one will increase my monthly premium by over 400%, but the closest hospital is in town, less than a mile away from my house.

With these things to consider I am looking at other options. Is anyone on here using anything like medishare? I have been looking it over, but want to get some first hand experience before getting too deep into the decision.

Any information would be helpful.

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
    I am currently staring down the barrel of a new open enrollment here at work and I am not liking what I am seeing. I basically have two options. One is extremely reasonable in monthly premium, but he closest hospital is over 50 miles away, the other one will increase my monthly premium by over 400%, but the closest hospital is in town, less than a mile away from my house.

With these things to consider I am looking at other options. Is anyone on here using anything like medishare? I have been looking it over, but want to get some first hand experience before getting too deep into the decision.

Any information would be helpful.
    Lemme get my wife Trysch to answer your questions Knotical. My wife works as a Financial and Insurance Counselor in an Oncology department. So, you kinda lucked out in receiving consultation and free advice. As you know we are located here in California, so her expertise is pertinent and she's familiar with any medical insurance related questions. It may be until tomorrow that she is able to answer, but I'll let her know tonight when she's off work.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Awesome, thanks William. I also have a background in insurance, both human and pet. The way things look at the moment, if my assumptions on what is being offered are correct, if I go with a solution like Medi-Share I will definitely be paying less monthly than going with the more expensive option.

I have requested information from them to find out exactly how it all works, but I did get a little bit of helpful information from their online contribution calculator.
      Comment>

Hi Knotical. The first two options you mention are employer-provided health plans? Beyond the cost of the monthly premiums, you need also to look at what the plans give you.

A couple of years ago, I spoke with one of our patients who was in treatment. He was looking at the Covered California plans, and trying to decide between the 3 levels of coverage that Blue Shield offered. Because he was in active treatment, we compared the cost of the monthly premiums together with the number of visits he was making to our office, and his radiology appointments. If he paid for the plan with the cheapest premiums, he would have a higher deductible and higher copay. If he paid for the most expensive monthly premiums, he would have no deductible, and his copays would be much lower. With what we knew his schedule was, there was virtually no difference in the cost of the two plans over the course of a year.

We had true facts to look at. If you are basically healthy and don't anticipate any medical issues outside of perhaps a checkup, then the cheaper plan seems like the best deal. But unfortunately we have too many patients who "have never been sick a day in my life", and then they get a cancer diagnosis, and they don't have sufficient insurance coverage.

So I think the best advice is to thoroughly review the options: the monthly premium, the deductible, the copays, and even the prescription coverage. Then commit to the plan THAT YOU CAN AFFORD.

I had to do a google search on MediShare, and I have heard of it - I think it's the plan one of our Bible Study friends is using. He's self-employed. But he also gets some medical coverage from his wife's employer, so he's not totally reliant on it.

I hope I've been helpful. Feel free to ask me any other questions!
        Comment>

Thanks for your insight, Trysch, I did also notice there may be a PPO option available through Blue Cross, which will actually be less than the premium I am paying now. I just need to get more concrete information from our HR department.

Something I found out about Medi-Share is that they do not reimburse for any pre-existing conditions within the first 3 years of membership, including pregnancy. Which would be problematic for us as my wife is a little over two months along with #7.

Currently we have United Healthcare, which has been fine for the most part.

I certainly hope the Blue Cross PPO plan turns out to be a viable option, otherwise we would be forced to go with Kaiser.

Thanks again.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap