Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Modern Christian Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Christian Music

I think music can really shape us and is a powerful tool...yes, I think we listen to music that suits our moods, but I also think what we listen to can shape how we feel or even our thoughts.

That being said, it has been almost a decade since I actively sought out good, contemporary music by Christian artists. Not just praise and worship (Hillsong); for example, in my teens I listened to quite a bit of dcTalk, Newsboys, etc. I am looking for music that has a modern sound with a positive foundation under it to replace some of the things I listen to now that may not be appropriate for life changes I am trying to make.

Thank you!

Well I love listening to different types of music, and Christian music certainly has its place for me. I cannot really say that I follow any particular acts or artists, though, and I more just listen to the radio (internet radio that is) and they tend to know what is popular. It has made a lot of changes, though, in the style of the music. As long as the message remains, though, I have no issues with that. Thanks for sharing.
    Comment>

Originally posted by whysewserious View Post
      I think music can really shape us and is a powerful tool...yes, I think we listen to music that suits our moods, but I also think what we listen to can shape how we feel or even our thoughts.

That being said, it has been almost a decade since I actively sought out good, contemporary music by Christian artists. Not just praise and worship (Hillsong); for example, in my teens I listened to quite a bit of dcTalk, Newsboys, etc. I am looking for music that has a modern sound with a positive foundation under it to replace some of the things I listen to now that may not be appropriate for life changes I am trying to make.

Thank you!
      Have you listened to the current iteration of the Newsboys, or Audio Adrenaline. They just happen to have two of the members of DC Talk as their front men.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post

Have you listened to the current iteration of the Newsboys, or Audio Adrenaline. They just happen to have two of the members of DC Talk as their front men.
        I recently discovered this and need to dig in!

I have tried listening to Christian radio stations, but they play almost the exact same line up as they did before I stopped listening to it around six years ago. I definitely feel like there is a place for classics, but music is ever changing and I find it disappointing that the station can't evolve with that.
        Comment>

Originally posted by whysewserious View Post

I recently discovered this and need to dig in!

I have tried listening to Christian radio stations, but they play almost the exact same line up as they did before I stopped listening to it around six years ago. I definitely feel like there is a place for classics, but music is ever changing and I find it disappointing that the station can't evolve with that.
          You should also look into MercyMe and Third Day. Just to get you started. Look them up on Youtube.
          Comment>

I also really enjoy Disciple, Skillet, Ashes Remain, Fireflight (female lead singer), and Thousand Foot Krutch. For more of the gospel type of music, Michael W. Smith and Steven Curtis Chapman (though they are both "older" music) are good to me. I enjoy the first list of groups because they do sing a lot about the struggles of being a Christian in the modern world which helps me find strength when I am struggling. For some of my personal favorites, check out: Sick of It - Skillet, Dear X, You Don't Own Me - Disciple, and Fly on the Wall - Thousand Foot Krutch. Hope you can find some contemporary Christian music that you enjoy listening to.
            Comment>

Thank you for mentioning Skillet - I was trying to remember groups I used to listen too, to see if they were still around, and that was definitely one of them. Steven Curtis Chapman was my first concert and seeing all these names is really taking me back to a good place.

There are also a TON of groups or artists I have never heard of and I am excited to explore those!

Has anyone ever tried using services like Spotify for Christian music? Does it turn up decent results? I do not have a subscription to any music streaming sites but would consider it if it was worth the investment.
              Comment>

Well, I have never been such a big fan of Christian music at all, I do not really know why, but I somehow feel like it's kind of a joke, I also find it disrespectful. I know you may think I am crazy or something like that, but my parents never made me get used to listening to that music genre even when we're religious people. I do not really have anything against that genre, but I personally do not like it, it's not the music I would listen to like I normally listen to other genres, that's my opinion though.
                Comment>

Originally posted by Espiritu View Post
                  Well, I have never been such a big fan of Christian music at all, I do not really know why, but I somehow feel like it's kind of a joke, I also find it disrespectful. I know you may think I am crazy or something like that, but my parents never made me get used to listening to that music genre even when we're religious people. I do not really have anything against that genre, but I personally do not like it, it's not the music I would listen to like I normally listen to other genres, that's my opinion though
                  Well I would say that it just emphasizes the whole "to each their own" attitude that I like to adopt when it comes to these issues. I guess I can see why you might see it as disrespectful, but I am not sure I would go that far. I bet there are some questionable artists out there though, just given the weird variety of music that is out there and the shear volume of music as well. I hope that is not the case, but it probably is. Anyways, we are all entitled to our opinion. Thanks for sharing.
                  Comment>

I don't listen to any contemporary Christian music nor have any real interest in said. I am not condemning such music, but it is just not for me or our family. Generally, we sing hymns acapella, both in church and at home and that works for us.

Beyond that, the guidance given in Ephesians 5:19 is truly a gift from the Lord. :)
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap