Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

The gift of giving.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The gift of giving.

Giving is one of the most powerful gifts of the spirit every child of God should have. The Lord gives without considering the cost or volume. All thing are His to give. And what He gives to us, we are free to give to others. Like the famous saying GIVERS NEVER LACK.
    See what the scripture said "Freely you have received; freely give." (Matthew 10:8 NIV). Our work is to give as He gives to us, without counting the cost.
    That means that we give all things: material possessions, spiritual wisdom/insights, His peace, and His joy. We didn't pay a dime for them, and we are charged with giving them away that His work may be multiplied. It is a continuous chain of sharing.

Support God's work today through giving and you'll be blessed.

Hi JEVS,WELCOME TO CF :) Nice opening post, BTW! It reminded me of a little book I read years ago about "giving" called, The Key to Everything by Jack Hayford.

Yours in Christ,
    David
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

If you are truly blessed and fortunate in your own life, nothing makes you feel better by enriching others!
      Comment>

Well, we al know what they say, it is better to give than to receive. Of course this is one of the things that as a kid you hear and say "what?" and it does not make sense, but hopefully as you age you start to realize the meaning behind the saying. Giving is a powerful thing, and it can really do a lot for self confidence and self approval, and the notion that you are helping a fellow human being promotes a sense of togetherness that I think everyone benefits from. Thanks for sharing.
        Comment>

While we should give, it's something that is expected of us, I think our concern should be for the needy. I'm not saying we shouldn't give any money or donate anything missionaries will find useful. What I am against is giving money so some preachers can get even wealthier. Last year there was this preacher who was in the news because he wanted his church to buy him a private jet. If whatever you give is to be used for such stuff [buying jets, cruise ships and the like] I think that money should instead be given to the needy not to a wealthy preacher or a preacher who expects to get rich because they are preaching the gospel.
          Comment>

Growing up I heard this saying over and over again, and I have to admit, it made no sense to me. How could giving possibly be better than receiving? There was some screwy reasoning going on there... But as I grew up and started to experience life from my own perspective, and as I started on my journey of self-discovery, I discovered that it is true. Giving definitely is better than receiving. There is no feeling in the world that surpasses the feeling of utter wellbeing that one feels when you do something good for someone else. Whether you give a smile, or a kind word to a stranger, or a gift of clothes, food or money to someone in need, or you give of your time, your energy and your love... All gifts that you give leave you with that sense of supreme oneness and connection to the higher power that nothing else on earth can provide.
            Comment>

I learnt how give from my Dad while I was growing. All we need now is to teach our children to be GENEROUS in a greedy world.
              Comment>

I had the most wonderful and amazing experience while I was out with my daughter the other day. We were at the mall, and my daughter had been trying to get me to go into the sweet shop for all morning because they sell her favorite candy covered chocolate sweets there. Eventually, after I had finished my errands, I agreed to go there and told her she could only have one small packet of sweets. We bought the sweets and left the shop. Just as we got to the car park, there was a little girl who was sitting on the pavement crying.

She looked like she stayed on the streets and she hadn't eaten in days. My daughter looked at her and asked me, mommy do we have some money to give her. Unfortunately, I didn't have a single cent on me, and when I told my daughter that, she looked at the other little girl, and without even pausing to think about it, handed over her packet of sweets that she had been looking forward to getting all morning. I was so touched and I had tears in my eyes. I must have done something right...
                Comment>

Originally posted by Miss Noe View Post
                  I had the most wonderful and amazing experience while I was out with my daughter the other day. We were at the mall, and my daughter had been trying to get me to go into the sweet shop for all morning because they sell her favorite candy covered chocolate sweets there. Eventually, after I had finished my errands, I agreed to go there and told her she could only have one small packet of sweets. We bought the sweets and left the shop. Just as we got to the car park, there was a little girl who was sitting on the pavement crying.

She looked like she stayed on the streets and she hadn't eaten in days. My daughter looked at her and asked me, mommy do we have some money to give her. Unfortunately, I didn't have a single cent on me, and when I told my daughter that, she looked at the other little girl, and without even pausing to think about it, handed over her packet of sweets that she had been looking forward to getting all morning. I was so touched and I had tears in my eyes. I must have done something right...
                  What a wonderful story. Children can teach us a thing or two about giving selflessly. You must be so proud of your daughter. You have instilled in her the right values and she will live a blessed life. We all need to always remember that there is more joy in giving than in receiving. So few people know this, let along understand what it means.
                  Comment>

I love the lessons that come from giving. It might sound like an odd reference, but there is a Christmas movie that I have seen multiple times called "It's a Wonderful Life". In that movie, there is a print on the wall in one of the scenes with the saying "all you can take with you is that which you've given away".

To me, that's something I try and keep in mind. Life isn't about how many possessions you have or how much money you make, but to me it's more about how you can help others and give to them.
                    Comment>

Our sermon today in church was based upon The Widower's Offering(Luke 21v1-5). As a new believer I was encouraged to pay attention to affirmations from God or God Winks...little signs that we are ONE...amazing how you shared this post a few days ago...our sermon in church today based upon giving/sharing....I can't help but smile when God puts his loving hand upon our shoulders to remind us....we are never alone!
                      Comment>

It's a really good thing to teach children to become generous, it's something they definitely have to learn at their early age because it's something that will absolutely turn them into better people once they grow up, give others no matter what you're going to get in exchange, do things well and good things are going to happen to you, god bless.
                        Comment>

Giving is both physical and mental. I believe that when you pray, whether to start or end the day or anytime in between you are giving, spiritually and mentally. Many people believe that giving is of the physical sense, a gift, or any thing else of that nature. If you are sending your positive prayers and thoughts, that is just the same, in my opinion at least. There is no greater gift than prayer, and you will feel it as well.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by Norjak71 View Post
                            Giving is both physical and mental. I believe that when you pray, whether to start or end the day or anytime in between you are giving, spiritually and mentally. Many people believe that giving is of the physical sense, a gift, or any thing else of that nature. If you are sending your positive prayers and thoughts, that is just the same, in my opinion at least. There is no greater gift than prayer, and you will feel it as well.
                            You're absolutely right, I actually know a lot of people which most of them are old women, they are always in church praying and listening to the God's word and studying the bible, you would be really surprised if you ever saw these women, you could actually think they're the kindest people in this world, but it never happens like that, most of them are toxic people who all they like doing is judging people around them because they always think they're the best and they definitely have a spot specially for them in God's realm, but what they do not know is that God is always watching them and listening to what they say about other people, all they do is destroy others using their own words, it's just a shame.
                            Comment>

Giving can be done with material objects and things that are abstract such as time and compassion (including prayer). I think that a lot of times this world we live in promotes the idea that we are out here by ourselves and need to conduct our selves in such ways. If you are blessed enough to be able to give money that's great. If you're not in that situation that's great too you can still give your time by volunteering for an organization that you feel is worthy. Even yet if you find yourself in a situation where giving time or money is not feasible you can always pray for someone or something. Giving time or money has its own benefits and depending on how you do both you may receive recognition whether you want it or not although giving for recognition is not a good reason to give. However when it comes down to it praying for someone/something by yourself is a selfless act. If more people took the time to realize that we are all in this together I think the world would be a better place. Nice post and beautiful quote.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap