Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

What denominations did you think were weird as a child?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What denominations did you think were weird as a child?

I'm wondering what denominations you thought were weird when you were a kid. This is something I'm curious about, and it is not intended to be a debate or to offend anyone. But I think a lot of us who grew up in a specific denomination were probably influenced as children to think that certain other denominations were weird and/or wrong. So, what ones did you think, as a child were weird?

I grew up conservative Baptist. I thought that Pentecostals and Church of Christ were particularly weird. I was also under the impression that Presbyterians were more liberal, for some reason (probably because I had cousins who were Presbyterian and liberal), and that Lutherans and Methodists didn't even teach anything from the Bible. A lot of this was misinterpretation of things I had heard from other adults, TV shows, etc.

I don't think of them that way now!

What about you?

I grew up secular humanist and eventually embraced Atheism ... you were all way too fanatic and needed your meds adjusted. ;)
    Comment>

When I was growing up, I though that the Mormons were weird in that the belief of Joseph Smith and the golden plates seemed bizarre and should have been easily provable given the year that they were allegedly found (1823). Islam seemed to be steeped with mythology as well complete with Muhammad flying off to heaven on a winged donkey (other texts infer it was a winged horse).
      Comment>

I was in lots of many churches when I was a kid: Catholic churches, Baptist churches, Lutheran churches, Pentecostal churches, Anglican churches, adventist churches and a few others. I didn't find them weird at all because I expected all of them to be different. There was another church in my area however which I presume belonged to some religious cult. They were very strict about who they let into their church — unless you were dressed a particular way, the ushers at the door wouldn't let you in.
        Comment>

I grew up thinking Catholicism quite convoluted. My next door neighbors were catholic and I often wondered how they could remember all of the saints and who to pray to for which thing.
          Comment>

I grew up in a small town where it was more about different types of Christians more than if you were Buddhist or Muslim. So the weirdest one to me was the Catholics because the kids in my class had rosaries for some reason and they would confess to a priest. Since it was a small town, we all knew who went to what church so I had been in every church except the Catholic one. So there was some mysticism and secrecy about the Catholic religion, I was never sure if they were Christian or something else. So growing up, Catholicism was the weirdest to me because no one explained to me how their church worked as a child.
            Comment>

Interestingly I didn't think anything was weird or unusual as a child. I think that to me is one of the joys of being a child - we tend to just accept people as people and don't bring in any other sort of rationale for it.

These days I still don't think I would call any denominations weird...I think learning about other religions is fascinating, and it's part of what makes the world interesting. Yes, there are definitely religions out there that I don't understand the belief systems around - but again, it's interesting learning about them. I took some theology classes in college and always found it fascinating learning about different beliefs.
              Comment>

Well I remember that I had a good friend whose family was Presbyterian and just because of the funny sounding name I used to think that it was like a cult of some sort. Plus, the actual church had a very odd looking balcony in it, which I had never seen before, so that just added to the mysterious nature that I thought that it had. I hope I get to run into that friend sometime soon...I'm not sure if he knows this about me.
                Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
                  I grew up secular humanist and eventually embraced Atheism ... you were all way too fanatic and needed your meds adjusted. ;)
                  Out of curiosity, are you still an atheist? I am just wondering considering the subject matter of this forum. Cheers.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by Nahum View Post

Out of curiosity, are you still an atheist? I am just wondering considering the subject matter of this forum. Cheers.
                    Nope, Five point Calvinist (for which I can take no credit).
                    Comment>

I grew up mainly around Catholics and never really encountered any other denominations. I always had a respect and deep interest in all other religions I encountered, and have always been interested in learning about them. But the first time I officially thought a religion was weird was when as an adult I worked with a Jehovah's Witness.
                      Comment>

As a child, the whole religion thing seemed very weird to me. I just couldn't get it at all. Can't really emphasize on a certain denomination. But no one really liked Muslims and their traditional clothes.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post

Nope, Five point Calvinist (for which I can take no credit).
                          It is good to hear you have been saved by our Lord. :)

I realize I kind of went on a tangent here. To answer the original question, I thought the Mormons and JWs were really weird. Turns out they weren't denominations, but cults. Some aspects of Catholicism were strange to my eyes too. The Method logo was curious to me when I was young, but not any more.
                          Comment>

When I was a child and a Catholic, I found members of the JW and INC strange. Most of my classmates were Catholic and only one was a JW member. The JW member would not join us for the daily flag ceremony and that fact alone made him stand out in my mind. He claims that their religion forbids them from reciting pledges to the flag and country and singing the national anthem. At least this was what the teacher told us. I didn't talk much with that classmate because besides being a JW member, he prefers to be alone and hardly participates in other school activities. INC. on the other hand, is a locally-founded church which means Iglesia ni Cristo or Church of Christ. I found its members weird because they call their church Church of Christ yet they don't even believe that Jesus is God and their founder claims that he was the first and last messenger of God. Many townspeople call them Iglesia ni Manalo (Church of Manalo) because of the members' blind obedience to their founder.
                            Comment>

I don't think there were any I thought were strange because I grew up with them, so they were 'normal'. We had two sects that stood out: the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Brethren, an ultra-conservative local church. I had members of both in my classes growing up. Neither could take part in clubs or school assemblies, or things like the Harvest Festival but they were perfectly nice. The Brethren members had an issue with not being allowed to view televisions or attend science classes, but the schools worked round that as they did with the dress issues (floor length skirts or trousers and long sleeves at all times, with very restricted hair styles). I do wonder how the members of the sect manage nowadays with so much online, smartphones and the works.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap