Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Does prison solve anything?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Have you ever guys met and interacted with a former prisoner? What was the experience like? Please, share your stories.
    I've known two people who had been jailed for different crimes. One had served time for armed robbery and another had been locked away for helping a bartender cart away the body of a man she'd murdered. When he was released he'd been saved and spent most of his time preaching the gospel to his old friends who were still alcoholics while the other [the robber] though he didn't get to know Christ, had changed [or so he told me]. Apparently being in jail was real hard for him and he was always offering advice to younger people to never commit a crime because "a cell wasn't a nice place to be in". While prison serves only to harden most criminals [they'll learn to be "better criminals"] there are some who actually change once they are jailed.

    Comment


      #32
      I believe there needs to be a larger Christian presence in prisons. I don't want to sound like an islamophobe, but prisons is the place where most people are converted to islam. I'm so terrified of not being politically correct, I guess, so it is hard to put this thought into the proper words. I just believe that there is one path to God, and it is through Jesus, so the thought of a pipeline from prison to a false teaching is scary.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by AnnaBanana View Post
        I believe there needs to be a larger Christian presence in prisons.
        There are organizations such a Prison Fellowship whose purpose is to take the gospel to those in prison.

        Prison Fellowship: Remember Those In Prison
        Clyde Herrin's Blog

        Comment


          #34
          Does prison solve anything? We must also ask ourselves does rehabilitation solve anything? Does birth control or gun control solve anything? I personally think that prisons solve the problem, not the symptom. There is a whole myriad of books, documentaries, speeches, and other platforms that states prisons are a by-product of the Prison Industrial Complex. Prisons or colleges for criminals is somewhat skewed due to the criminal justice system that have many loopholes based on race and class.

          Comment


            #35
            It all depends on the crime. I'm not the biggest Obama supporter but I do like that he is pardoning small time drug possession offenders from prison. There is simply no need to be sent to a federal prison for getting caught with a little bit of marijuana. No -- I don't smoke it, and no, I won't start doing it either, but I do know it's incredibly harmless. You shouldn't be driving around smoking, obviously, but doing so, with no prior record, should not warrant that sentence. There are a lot of people that would benefit being sent to an institution to get mental health as well. That's a big problem in this country, so much focus on sending people to prison, but not enough on actually fixing them. If we focus on the mindset of people, more than the punishment, maybe things would start changing. That's my two cents on it.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by Norjak71 View Post
              It all depends on the crime. I'm not the biggest Obama supporter but I do like that he is pardoning small time drug possession offenders from prison. There is simply no need to be sent to a federal prison for getting caught with a little bit of marijuana. No -- I don't smoke it, and no, I won't start doing it either, but I do know it's incredibly harmless. You shouldn't be driving around smoking, obviously, but doing so, with no prior record, should not warrant that sentence. There are a lot of people that would benefit being sent to an institution to get mental health as well. That's a big problem in this country, so much focus on sending people to prison, but not enough on actually fixing them. If we focus on the mindset of people, more than the punishment, maybe things would start changing. That's my two cents on it.
              Of course those people also never paid taxes on the drugs they were trafficking. Should they release everyone that does not pay taxes from prison? Oh what a slippery slope!

              Do you also realize that one of the prisoners Obama released murdered a woman and two children: Crack Dealer Freed Early Under Obama Plan Murders Woman, 2 Kids - Judicial Watch

              If not, why? Is it because the main stream media does not cover such thing because it goes against the narrative of what a great token president for the left Obama is?

              Comment


                #37
                Criminals should be taken to prison so that they can learn to change their behavior. I can't figure out what will happen if we live with criminals in our societies. Prisons are supposed to be correctional facilities where prisoners are adviced on how to live positively with others. In my country, prisoners learn how to make furniture and farming techniques. Others have managed to be saved and now they are preachers. It also good to keep murderous people away from the society to stop them from killing more people.

                Comment


                  #38
                  I think the penal system will help a lot of convicts if the system is just fair and not used for profit. Prison is supposed to be a rehabilitation center for criminals and not a business big corporations profit from. I believe in the penal system but not the death penalty, there are dangerous people out there that deserve to be locked up but at the same time the government should try to curb criminality through the social welfare system.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Prisons serve society well, they separate us from people who are a nuisance to the general population. The problem that prisons do cause is a result of our high incarceration rates. Many times people will go to prison for a nonviolent offense and end up coming out worse than when they went in. In addition, the programs that we offer to ex-cons are not sufficient and do not provide the support needed for re-entry into society. Other than parole and probation, we more or less just release someone back into the community, as in just letting them walk out the front door and be on their own If they do not have the support structure needed chances are they will return to the same lifestyle and decision making process that got them to prison in the first place. I think as a country we focus to much on putting people in prison and not enough on what to do with them once they have served their time and fulfilled their debt to society.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by ad.mike2016 View Post
                      Prisons serve society well, they separate us from people who are a nuisance to the general population. The problem that prisons do cause is a result of our high incarceration rates. Many times people will go to prison for a nonviolent offense and end up coming out worse than when they went in. In addition, the programs that we offer to ex-cons are not sufficient and do not provide the support needed for re-entry into society.
                      Well that is really a nice and clean way of summing it up, and I cannot really disagree. I have always found it interesting to compare the American prison system to that of other countries, and the numbers are pretty alarming with how many people we lock up. The problem is, like stated above, is when these are for non-violent offenses and things like drug sentences, which seem to muddy the waters a lot of the time. There are certainly other options out there, but I think that it would take a lot to really shift the current system that we have in any significant way. I could be wrong though, and that would be interesting, so thank you for sharing.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Well, I personally think that prison system is mostly used to keep criminals away from the society, in other words, it's just to keep them isolated from the normal world, they're placed into cells where they will not have anything to do, it's a punishment for those people for trying to correct their actions, however, I really see your point when asking that question and I completely agree with you, I personally think that the only thing that prison does is turn criminals into higher level criminals, most of them go in as innocent people and then come out as professional assassins, sometimes they do not even want to get out, once they get used to the prison lifestyle, they do not want to place a foot out the streets, most of them say it's somewhat better to be in there, once you get involved, there's nothing that can help you to leave it, that's my opinion though.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          I think prisons help in two ways.

                          One, they keep crime off the streets. Obviously, you've got to put criminals somewhere. Second, prisoners get to realize... Nope, scratch that. I don't think they get to realize any of their mistakes, contrary to popular belief. Instead, it is probably the fear of being locked up yet again, that prevents ex-prisoners from continuing to commit crimes. Of course, there are those who do better their lives using the time they are given. But they are definitely in the minority.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by Tshaka View Post
                            Does prison solve anything? We must also ask ourselves does rehabilitation solve anything? Does birth control or gun control solve anything? I personally think that prisons solve the problem, not the symptom. There is a whole myriad of books, documentaries, speeches, and other platforms that states prisons are a by-product of the Prison Industrial Complex. Prisons or colleges for criminals is somewhat skewed due to the criminal justice system that have many loopholes based on race and class.
                            You're somewhat right, I actually liked your opinion, but I personally think that prison does not solve the problem, not either the symptom. Once a man becomes a criminal there is no way back, that kind of people always find a way to stick to their illegal activities without caring about anybody else, but them. Prison only soils criminals from the society punishing them to treat with other people of his same kind just to keep him away from anything else, it does not actually solve anything at all, unless you're a person that really wants to change which I really doubt it may be a thing that a convict would think about once they are in prison, that's my opinion though.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              The people before us already know that having a prison is the best answer to lower down crime. Without those bars separating sane people from not, crime rate won't go down. What do you think would be a better alternative? Of course torture and killing the person is against our beliefs as Christians but what do you think about turning the Psychology the other way around? What I was thinking is if the government train those criminals instead to catch other criminals. I might be thinking about it paradoxically but It's just a thought though. What do you think?

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Prisons were made with the idea of preventing the crime doers to influence society in total and to cause more harm to the functional parts. Where they fail is the attempt of the government to essentially reintegrate the ex-inmates back to the society. If they were treated humorously bad during their served time in t he jail, I doubt t that will make them move and make a change in life. Also, the society stigmatizes the inmates so that makes their way back to normal life even harder. It is almost impossible for them to find a decent job, so what other option they have but to work against society again?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X
                                Articles - News - SiteMap