Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

The Fifth Commandment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Fifth Commandment

"Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you" that's the fifth commandment. What the verse does not talk about is when your parents suggest about things that are ungodly. Even when our parents are wrong they can still remember to quote the verse. What are the limits if we have to obey our parents? My parents talk about ''experience'' and that is why - they suggest - I must listen to whatever they say.

[[[ Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me]]]. Do your duty: care for your parents, obey them, love them, etc but God's commandments always come first. When parents want you to do something which Jesus says is wrong then you have to do what Jesus wants.
    Comment>

To see how you should honor an ungodly parent you should study the life of Jonathan, the son of Saul. He refused to help his father capture David and even warned David so he could escape, yet he never deserted his father to follow David and was with his father in his final battle with the Philistines.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

That is true. Even in my life, I had to choose one between my mom and Jesus. I know Jesus is first but sometimes when tempted, I choosemy parents for a short while,made vow but when I realise the truth which I already know. I repent and follow Jesus. Jesus empowers us and strengthens us in temptations.
        Comment>

I don't blindly believe in any commandment. Even though my faith is strong, I still have a reason. The reason leads me but the faith helps me keep going. That's my attitude.

I guess every parent should get as much of a respect as they deserve. Someone who cares from the bottom of his/her but also who is not keeping his family in control. I like that.
          Comment>

I spent 13 years working in the psychiatric field. First hand I have seen one or both parents who are aggressive, molestors, active alcoholics, or worse. These parents are not worthy of honor nor respect. This commandment is one that I have often grappled with.
            Comment>

You can respect your parents but chose to obey your Father first. I personally took honor your father and mother would include standing up to them if they are wrong. As family, it's your responsibility to help them find their way back to God if they lose their ways.
              Comment>

Originally posted by artyarson View Post
                I don't blindly believe in any commandment. Even though my faith is strong, I still have a reason. The reason leads me but the faith helps me keep going. That's my attitude.
                Sounds good to me.
                There will alway be those who conveniently ignore chronological context and/or take one or another ancient 'commandment' and over emphasise or wrongly emphasise it (often in order to underpin a sect or denomination).
                The 4th commandment is a great favourite for denominational speciality.

Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap