Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

All Moms are the same

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Moms are the same

I was doing some reading today and found something that was truly wonderful in my opinion. Here is a first century letter from a mother named Hikane to her son Isidoros. The letter is fragmentary but is it not hart to get the point.

[Hikane] to Isidoros [her son, greetings. First of all] I thought it necessary, since the packet boat was putting out to sea, to write . . . me. I am in Berenike. I wrote you a letter [?but did not receive a] letter. Was it for this that I carried you for ten months and nursed you for three years, so that you would be incapable of remembering me by letter? And similarly you dimissed me though the Oasites . . . not I you. But I left your brothers in Arabia . . . so that . . Egypt I might see your face and . . . breath. I only ask and beg and adjure you by the one whom you . . . and by the memory of the one who begot you, to sail away if you are well. I . . . Amarantos. But . . . Arabia, sister has departed and the little one is present . . . I ask and beg you . . . Save your brother. For I have no one . . . your bother . . . with the first winds, but he found some . . . and came to me in Berenike. Epaphras greets you warmly . . . and those who love us. [Year . ., month] 24. (Verso) Deliver. Hikane to Isidoros her son, harborman.
    I wish I had found this around mother's day. I love it where she asks her son: "Was it for this that I carried you for ten months and nursed you for three years, so that you would be incapable of remembering me by letter?" Some things never change.

o.berenike.2.129 = HGV O.Ber. 2 129 = Trismegistos 89155 = berenike.apis.129
    Last edited by Origen; 06-10-2016, 10:32 AM.

If only that were the case for every mother. Mine was too attached to my father to even care about the kids she apparently brought into the world. Having a hard time at work? Vent it out to your kids while giving your husband more liquor. Budget for food not enough? I guess you guys are sleeping hungry tonight. Is there money for my father's gambling addiction and liquor? You bet there's always money on it! If only I had a half decent mother, then I probably wouldn't be as damaged as I am today. Sorry for venting, it's just seeing these types of posts about how mothers SHOULD be for their kids really makes me feel like I got cheated out of a childhood.
    Comment>

Originally posted by OursIsTheFury View Post
      If only that were the case for every mother. Mine was too attached to my father to even care about the kids she apparently brought into the world. Having a hard time at work? Vent it out to your kids while giving your husband more liquor. Budget for food not enough? I guess you guys are sleeping hungry tonight. Is there money for my father's gambling addiction and liquor? You bet there's always money on it! If only I had a half decent mother, then I probably wouldn't be as damaged as I am today. Sorry for venting, it's just seeing these types of posts about how mothers SHOULD be for their kids really makes me feel like I got cheated out of a childhood.
      I agree with you that not all mothers are equal. I am sorry for your suffering but it's an excellent example for some mothers caught up in a toxic relationship. My mom accidentally had me and only found out when my parents split. My older sister is her favorite because she was her first and they bonded while my mom was still young. In comparison, I had to work really hard to get my mom's love and it was never free. My mom never acknowledges my generosity by helping her with my little brother but she longs for my sister's love now that she's married and ignores her for the in-laws. A mother's love can be great but failure to get it can be devastating. I don't think all mothers are the same. I don't even think a single mother is the same with each of her children. Mine certainly isn't.
      Comment>

I love it. That comment IS the typical mother's lament and quite often is directed to the traveling son. My own mother has spoken variations of that comment in regards to my older brother. It's funny because he lives right next door to her and I live three hours away, yet I call her on the phone every night for a chat, and he talks to her maybe once a week at the most and seldom stops in to visit. Perhaps girls dote more on their mothers, I don't know, but it seems like the boys have more outside interests and the girls perhaps stay home more. All mothers have to eventually go through the empty nest syndrome and it can be hard on them when they've had at least 18 years or so of that person in their home.
        Comment>

I agree that all Moms are the same. In my case, I was thinking whether my Mom do have favoritism or not. She keeps on nagging at me on all the decisions i have made in my life and trying to seek for negative feeds. But with my two brothers, she is very nice. At the end of the day, I would end up convincing myself that she is just concerned about me.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap