Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Christian Romance Novels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Romance Novels

What are your feelings about Christian romance novels? I'm okay about having a love story, there are some gorgeous stories in the Bible. It's the genre that bothers me because of how seedy the romance section is and evolving into. I just don't understand how anything Christian can sit on the same shelf as 50 Shades of Grey. What are your thoughts? Have you read any? Author or book recommendation?

I've never read any Christian romance but I don't think it is wrong to read such books. The Song of Solomon is all about love after all. What Christians shouldn't be reading though is erotica. Should you consume it, it most certainly will make your heart impure.
    Comment>

I hate romance novels or movies in general. And the Bible doesn't really have any sort of romantic things, most of the stuff in there involve betrayal, coveting thy neighbor's wife, and the lot, which further cements the consequences of breaking the ten commandments. Lots of things in the Bible that can be adapted to stories and movies, I guess, but maybe the Revelation, Genesis, and I know they have tried to make a movie out of Moses and the Great Flood for years now. Crucifixion as well, but definitely not romance stories.
      Comment>

I can't say I've read any romance novel, Christian or otherwise. I'm not entirely certain of the genre, though I'd imagine secular works are something a believer would want to avoid. I have no idea what a Christian author would do with said and, candidly, I'm positive I wouldn't read it anyway. There are a lot things labeled "Christian" which are most certainly not.

The Song of Songs is quite an earthy, vigorous text that features language about human love and relationships. After all, God created man and woman and gave us clear instruction to be "fruitful and multiply", so we should not be prudish in this regard. However, the world is drenched in unnatural, immoral, and and utterly depraved views of sexuality, so it is best to stick to the instruction for husbands and wives in the Word.
        Comment>

Never heard of this genre and really can't fathom what they would be like without getting into something that would be inappropriate, unless they really should be relabeled "courtship novels."
          Comment>

Actually, this seems to be a growing area, and probably even moreso, now that books like "50 Shades of Grey" are more prevalent. Back in the days when a romance novel was something like "Jane Eyre" or even "Gone With the Wind", just about anyone could read it and not have religious sensibilities offended.
            Now, what is considered a romance novel is sometimes almost borderline erotica.

Women have always enjoyed romance novels, as a general rule, and when it is written as a Christian romance novel, then you can assume that there is not going to be any overly-descriptive love scenes in the book, and it is okay to read.
            Not only that; but it is actually kind of a ministry.
            There are people who will read one of these novels, and relate to the character in the book, and then be interested in learning more about God and the Bible, after reading about the faith of the (usually) heroine of the book.

I actually have a friend who is searching for a better relationship with the Lord, and she has now started reading some of the Christian romance novels instad of the regular secular books.
            When she has questions about what something means, or how it might apply to her, then she will email me and we can discuss it; so this has actually been a very good ting for her.
            If someone is going to read romance novels, then I think that it is a very good thing if it also is educational to them about God, and causes them to have an interest in being saved.
            Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
              What are your feelings about Christian romance novels? I'm okay about having a love story, there are some gorgeous stories in the Bible. It's the genre that bothers me because of how seedy the romance section is and evolving into. I just don't understand how anything Christian can sit on the same shelf as 50 Shades of Grey. What are your thoughts? Have you read any? Author or book recommendation?
              I love Christian Romance Novels. There is a great collection coming out in April 2017 called "The Pony Express Romance Collection. Based in the year 1860-1861, It is an outstanding task in the years 1860 to 1861, and only a few are up to the job. Faced with challenges of terrain, weather, hostile natives, sickness, and more, can these adventurous pioneers hold fast, and can they also find lasting love in the midst of daily trials? Find out in this exciting collection of nine.
              Comment>

I rad romance novels and find Christian Romance novels very interesting. Thanks AngelaMc for the information on the new collection. I will try to get it and read it. They are really nice. I love them. In fact I love reading any kind of novel. I am a book worm.
                Comment>

I don't read romance, in general because much of it seems so contrived. The few times I've tried I've found myself wanting to shout at the lead characters to just talk to each other, because honesty would solve all the problems. Mind you, then it would be a very short book...
                  Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
                  I just don't understand how anything Christian can sit on the same shelf as 50 Shades of Grey.
                  Romance and erotica are two very different genres. When erotica gets listed as romance, or romance titles have to have a "clean" tag it annoys me. It happens because certain large sellers won't show erotica titles publicly or in search results so the publishers change the genre to reach a larger audience.

Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap