Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Should a Christian perform exorcism or only Catholic priests can? Is it allowed to perform it by God?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should a Christian perform exorcism or only Catholic priests can? Is it allowed to perform it by God?

I want to know that whether it is allowed to perform exorcism by God and can it be only performed by Catholic priests? Are paranormal investigators do good for investigating paranormal activity? Should a Christian become a paranormal investigator? If he can then what should he do and the whole process?

The rituals used by the Catholic church are manmade and there is no Biblical support for them. Jesus gave his followers power over evil spirits. The Bible says that if we submit to God and then resist the devil he will flee from us, so perhaps truly born again believers have the power to expel evil spirits. Catholic priests do not have any more power or authority over spirits than other believers do.

Our understanding of activities that are generally considered paranormal must begin with what the Bible has revealed about the spirit world. Anyone seeking to understand the spirit realm without first placing his faith in what God has revealed runs the risk of being deceived by evil spirits. Christians should not engage in paranormal investigations but instead should seek to know God better by studying the Bible.

Do you have a particular reason for asking these questions?
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

It was actually a big part of my life. Being amazed by horror movies like The Conjuring , The Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Amityville horror,etc. I got interested about paranormal activity and started following Ed & Lorraine Warren as they were the most popular paranormalist. This was the time when I was following Hinduism but started believing in Catholicism without knowing the truth. But God before I loved him, loved so much that he dragged me from this wretched activities to him.
      Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
        Christians should not engage in paranormal investigations...
        Why not?

but instead should seek to know God better by studying the Bible.
        Can't they do both?

Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
          Can't they do both?
          A lot of paranormal investigations try to find the answers to questions that are found in the Bible. When we are dealing with spirits and other subjects of paranormal investigation we run the risk of being deceived by evil spirits.
          Clyde Herrin's Blog
          Comment>

A lot of paranormal investigations try to find the answers to questions that are found in the Bible. When we are dealing with spirits and other subjects of paranormal investigation we run the risk of being deceived by evil spirits.
            And the legitimate ones expose the frauds, cheats, and liars. Your view assumes that all such case are real. They are not. Investigating the matter is the only way to if the case genuine or not.
            Last edited by Origen; 04-10-2016, 07:03 AM.
            Comment>

Originally posted by motirattan View Post
              It was actually a big part of my life. Being amazed by horror movies like The Conjuring , The Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Amityville horror,etc. I got interested about paranormal activity and started following Ed & Lorraine Warren as they were the most popular paranormalist. This was the time when I was following Hinduism but started believing in Catholicism without knowing the truth. But God before I loved him, loved so much that he dragged me from this wretched activities to him.
              Interesting reading.
              Comment>

From what I have read and heard, performing exorcism is a very dangerous activity. You may be dealing with forces you hardly understand. The practice can have dire, irreversible effects on your life. Christians should not meddle with demonic forces unless they are strong enough spiritually to cast off demons.
                Comment>

There's a difference between an exorcism and casting out an evil spirit. Though Christians have been given the authority to cast out spirits, not everyone should try to do it because if you aren't "right" with God, the spirits will know it and they could attack you. You've read the story of some people who tried to cast out evil spirits in Acts? It didn't end well. As for Christians being paranormal investigators I don't they should. The authority we've been given should be used in ways that don't glorify God.
                  Comment>

There's a difference between an exorcism and casting out an evil spirit. Though Christians have been given the authority to cast out spirits, not everyone should try to do it because if you aren't "right" with God, the spirits will know it and they could attack you. You've read the story of some people who tried to cast out evil spirits in Acts? It didn't end well. As for Christians being paranormal investigators I don't they should. The authority we've been given shouldn't be used in ways that don't glorify God. p.s For some reason I was unable to edit my other post, so I had to do this. Sorry.
                    Comment>

Honestly, I don't believe much in exorcism but somehow I know there is truth to it. Maybe what I should say is not all exorcisms are true like not all possessions are true. I have seen drug addicts acting like they are possessed and they were able to fool people just so they wouldn't be suspected of using illegal drugs. But anyway, regarding true exorcism, I don't think it is the domain of Catholics. My take on this is that anyone can have the power to exocise a possessed person because we are granted power by God when we were born. But the only issue in this is you should know the procedure of exrocising. I know there are rituals for that and if you make a mistake the devil will leave the possessed and take over the exorcist.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by Corzhens View Post
                        I know there are rituals for that and if you make a mistake the devil will leave the possessed and take over the exorcist.
                        Jesus gave his disciples the authority to cast out demons. He never gave them any rituals they should follow. Acts 19 tells of some exorcists who tried to use the name of Jesus to drive out a demon. The demon didn't take over the exorcists; he use the man he was controlling to attack them physically.
                        Clyde Herrin's Blog
                        Comment>

Apparently any Christian can do it if necessary, however it would be more effective if a speaker of God would do the deeds, since the connection is much closer than everyone else. Might be wrong though, but that's how I remember and understood it when I read about it.
                          Comment>

I do think there are evil spirits in the world, but they are not as common as paranormal investigators would help you believe. I think that people need to use care when trying exorcism. I think it could backfire and lead to un inended consequences. It is not something I would ever try.
                            Comment>

Exorcisms are not something I would dabble in. I've heard that a lot of exorcisms of the past were being done on children with genetic disorders. People that were mentally handicapped were being treated as people possessed. I believe there are cases of demonic possession, but I'm not sure how they manifest themselves. I wouldn't expose myself to that element willingly.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap