Street preachers who quoted Bible convicted in 'modern-day heresy trial'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street preachers who quoted Bible convicted in 'modern-day heresy trial'

America's beliefs in freedom of religion and freedom of speech were originally based on British law so it seems that these freedoms should be respected in Britain, but apparently that is not the case.

Two street preachers have today been convicted of a public order offence, after a public prosecutor claimed that publicly quoting parts of the King James Bible in modern Britain should "be considered to be abusive and is a criminal matter".
    You can read the rest of the story here:

Our Concerns | Christian Concern

Clyde Herrin's Blog

Thanks Theo, that is very sad & disturbing news :( I've noticed the recent push by British government to sanitize and disallow all speech they deem unacceptable, both religious and secular. Such a thing is a steep and slippery Orwellian slope. It's particularly disconcerting that they have placed the Gospel message itself on the same level as racist hate speech!

Praying!
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

What is disturbing is that they rejected the standard bearer for the way, the truth and the life. By what standard are they judging speech?

Secular humanism runs amok in that part of the world.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Blame Blair. While we had laws about disturbing the peace prior to him, he brought in an Act to prevent offense to religion. What the court seems to have forgotten is that proselytising and street preaching is specifically protected under the same Act and cannot be prosecuted:

Originally posted by Racial and Religious Hatred Act 2006
        Nothing in this Part shall be read or given effect in a way which prohibits or restricts discussion, criticism or expressions of antipathy, dislike, ridicule, insult or abuse of particular religions or the beliefs or practices of their adherents, or of any other belief system or the beliefs or practices of its adherents, or proselytising or urging adherents of a different religion or belief system to cease practising their religion or belief system.
        I sincerely hope the preachers appeal. Once the precedent was set by that Act, it seems like the police started arresting street preachers and then trying to see what laws they could make stick.

Bristol is a University city and extremely liberal, so I am not entirely surprised this would happen there.They've arrested one of the preachers before and the judge tried to rule on what Bible verses he was allowed to quote. The court of appeal struck that down and I hope they will strike this down:
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap