Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

Franklin Graham Addresses Open Letter to Obama on Gun Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin Graham Addresses Open Letter to Obama on Gun Control

Franklin Graham has written an open letter to President Obama, telling the President that his executive actions to curb gun violence fail to address the root cause of the issue.

More...

What about encouraging more use of Kevlar in everyday clothing? :)

Seriously, everyone seems to dance around the issue looking for an opportunity for a sound bite rather than really looking for solutions or even asking hard questions.

Do we need more guns than people?
    What does the Second Ammendment mean? Should the people have a right to defend themselves against there government?
    Is it right to be able to buy parts to convert semi-auto weapons to full auto at a gun show because it is just a part?
    Where is the discussion about concealed carry and the rights of both self defense and those around you? Open carry?

Instead we get a president who cries over "evil guns" and Graham blaming "violent TV shows".
    Is that really the best discussion that we can muster.

Here is a proposal that I would like to throw out ... the most thorough background check in the world, including smart gun technology to prevent use by the wrong people, granting US citizens a right to own fully military weapons suffient to defend the Republic against Government tyranny. It might be rediculous, but at least it is not the usual pablum that they have been drooliling over this issue and calling 'discussion'.
    Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
      Here is a proposal that I would like to throw out ... the most thorough background check in the world, including smart gun technology to prevent use by the wrong people, granting US citizens a right to own fully military weapons suffient to defend the Republic against Government tyranny. It might be rediculous, but at let it is not the usual pablum that they have been drooliling over this issue and calling 'discussion'.
      Just pointing out that at the time the Bill of Rights were written the Musket was the most lethal weapon carried by military persons. Our forefathers never required background checks etc. I believe public schools even had shooting activities some 40+ years ago. Students actually carried guns into school. What has changed, and by all means I'd like to see the intent of our forefathers addressed in its historical context. You bring up some good points atpollard.

Furthermore, I can understand the left's position on this, tightening gun control. I know a gun dealer or two, and the shows they sell at are open to the general public. Just pointing out that the left does have a legit argument, the question is whether it's irrelevant by the Constitution? Executive order executive order.....enforced by people with guns. See, I believe this is what our forefathers had foreseen.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
        Just pointing out that at the time the Bill of Rights were written the Musket was the most lethal weapon carried by military persons.
        Conversely, our Founding Fathers couldn't have imagined our modern ability to stop and catch criminals. Back then, if you walked into someone's home and shot them, you were home free. Now, DNA and cameras are likely to nail you. Back then, even if there were witnesses, once you got out of town, you were home free. Now there's almost no place you can go to get away and you'll have to hide for the rest of your life to avoid getting caught.

Our ability to fight crime has more than kept up with advances in guns and other weapons. But, maybe our willingness to fight crime hasn't kept up.

Franklin Graham is essentially right. We don't have a gun problem. We have a culture problem, mainly promoted by Hollywood and so-called Civil Rights groups that champion black criminals, as well as the Democrat party in general. A fair objection might be, "Since the culture isn't about to change for the better, what's the next best thing we can do?" But, I think gun restrictions are mostly ineffective. You might make it harder for criminals to get guns, but you disarm people against all matter of attacker and you create a black market for guns,

Comment>

Originally posted by Cornelius View Post

Conversely, our Founding Fathers couldn't have imagined our modern ability to stop and catch criminals. Back then, if you walked into someone's home and shot them, you were home free. Now, DNA and cameras are likely to nail you. Back then, even if there were witnesses, once you got out of town, you were home free. Now there's almost no place you can go to get away and you'll have to hide for the rest of your life to avoid getting caught.
          There are over 5,000 guns confiscated in one year in the local city. The cause of it is there are a lot of irresponsible citizens. Some people only buy guns because it is an extension of their masculinity.

My wife came home and the man across the street was holding a gun at his father and my family couldn't come in the house because they were afraid of getting shot so I called 911 and the police came and someone emptied the rounds on the ground. Ask yourself where the bullet goes when someone misses. It is going to keep going until it hits something or someone. Guns may only work when society is responsible for the most part and they aren't. A lot of people are proud instead of responsible which makes them fools.

1 Corinthians 4:2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.

James 4:2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
          Comment>

I have wrestled with the issue of gun ownership on a personal and practical level. Part of my job involves conducting inspections of undeveloped property to locate and flag wetland boundaries. I look silly in my boots and jungle hat with a machete and bright orange survey tape hacking my way through vines and thickets. It occasionally brings me within spitting distance of alligators and snakes (most harmless, some not). So I found myself with a genuine, legitimate reason to get a handgun and a concealed carry permit. I came close to purchasing one, but two things swayed my decision against it.

The first was my daughter. I hated the statistical reality that my family was far more likely to be injured by any gun that I purchased, either through an accident or through an intruder or through some unforseeable tragedy, than I was to actually be attacked by an alligator or snake and require a gun to defend myself.

The second was my past. I grew up with guns, and not in a good way. Holding a pistol in my hand brings back a lot of old memories and feelings that are better off buried. Like the verse about meat dedicated to idols, it means nothing ... unless it violates your conscience, then it is a sin for you. I decided that guns are not for me.

So this places me in the unusual position of not wanting to own a gun, but staunchly defending your right to own one.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Chuckt View Post

There are over 5,000 guns confiscated in one year in the local city. The cause of it is there are a lot of irresponsible citizens. Some people only buy guns because it is an extension of their masculinity.

My wife came home and the man across the street was holding a gun at his father and my family couldn't come in the house because they were afraid of getting shot so I called 911 and the police came and someone emptied the rounds on the ground. Ask yourself where the bullet goes when someone misses. It is going to keep going until it hits something or someone. Guns may only work when society is responsible for the most part and they aren't. A lot of people are proud instead of responsible which makes them fools.

1 Corinthians 4:2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.

James 4:2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
              I agree, but the problem is that gun control laws mostly just restrict the most responsible people. You make it harder for the man who wants to do everything right to buy a gun for home defense, but unregulated sales will still happen at flea markets, and conversion kits will still be available through mail order, and I can absolutely guarantee you that stolen guns will still be available on the black market.

The problem seems to be that one side wants to protect our "right to bear arms" without ensuring that guns cannot be obtained by those with no business having them (like a felon at a trade show or flea market) and the other side wants to regulate guns without ensuring that "responsible" people can know that their Rights to self defense are being protected and their Government isn't working with the criminals to turn them into helpless victims.

I live on a street with 10 houses, 1 murder, 1 felony home invasion and a 20 minute 911 response time. (My house is easy to spot, it is the one with the very large, but tired guardian angel). To disarm everyone except the criminals and tell us to just trust the Sheriff to handle it is not a very realistic plan.
              Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Just pointing out that at the time the Bill of Rights were written the Musket was the most lethal weapon carried by military persons. Our forefathers never required background checks etc. I believe public schools even had shooting activities some 40+ years ago. Students actually carried guns into school. What has changed, and by all means I'd like to see the intent of our forefathers addressed in its historical context. You bring up some good points atpollard.

Furthermore, I can understand the left's position on this, tightening gun control. I know a gun dealer or two, and the shows they sell at are open to the general public. Just pointing out that the left does have a legit argument, the question is whether it's irrelevant by the Constitution? Executive order executive order.....enforced by people with guns. See, I believe this is what our forefathers had foreseen.

God bless,
                William

Will

What are you talking about? Of course the gun shows are open to the public. Because the 'general public' has a right to bear arms. And, what are you trying to say? That the gun dealers at gun shows are selling without background checks? That is 'bull'. Every dealer at the gun show has to require background checks. You have fallen for the Obama lie. And there is already on the requirements when one purchases a gun the question as to whether you have ever been admitted for mental health reasons. There is nothing new to be added.

As to your statement about 'muskets', that was the firearm of the day to which either side can obtain. An equal access. Therefore the right to bear arms means the 'arms of the day'. Remember this, the first ten amendments were placed there, not because the framers of the Constitution wanted it. They didn't. They were placed there because the people of the states didn't trust these framers, and so they required a 'Bill of Rights' in order to ratify the said Constitution. In other words, the Bill of Rights is there to protect us from our own Government. The 2nd amendment is not to protect turkey hunters. It is to protect us from the threat of our own government. Which is why Obama and others are so against it.

If you buy the leftist argument, you are selling us out just like the left is.

Ship Alone
                Comment>

Originally posted by Ship Alone View Post
                  the requirements when one purchases a gun the question as to whether you have ever been admitted for mental health reasons.
                  Right, from the IRS targeting Conservatives to Religious groups. If they wanted to purchase a gun, I can only imagine how easy it would be for the government to target individuals against a tyrannic government with this clause and put them on a no sell list.

What are you talking about? Of course the gun shows are open to the public. Because the 'general public' has a right to bear arms. And, what are you trying to say?
                  Just meant every type of gun was available to the general public. I think the most amazing gun my friend ever brought back from a gun show was an old Japanese type 99 light machine gun.

As to your statement about 'muskets', that was the firearm of the day to which either side can obtain. An equal access. Therefore the right to bear arms means the 'arms of the day'.
                  I agree with you, and that is what I meant when saying the liberal argument is irrelevant by the 2nd Amendment. As to the rest of your post I agree again, I think it captures the intent of our forefathers.
                  Comment>

Let me ask another question.
                    It is completely legal to purchase a perfect replica of a colt SAA revolver with a non-bored cylinder as an unregistered "for display only". At the next table I can legally purchase a fully functioning cylinder that will swap out in my replica gun. Neither required registration or a background check.

Once I swap the cylinders, I have a fully functioning, unregistered revolver (and I have probably committed one or more felonies).
                    Is it possible that we have made the process too easy?
                    Is it reasonable that the table full of "Replicas" and "cylinders" side by side really have no idea that crimes are being facilitated and they have no responsibility to safeguard public safety.
                    My father was proud of the semi to full-auto conversion kit he ordered for his AK style weapon.

Now personally, I think that the intent of the Second Ammendment is that We The People should have legal access to Full Auto weapons if we want to own them (without special 'collector' licensing) but that is something that the Supreme Court should be fixing, not a legal loophole at gun shows ans mail order companies. The current system favors criminals.
                    Comment>

atpollard

You say our gun laws favor criminals. How? And what is this 'loophole' at the gun shows you speak of.

Ship Alone
                      Comment>

atpollard
                        You say our gun laws favor criminals. How? And what is this 'loophole' at the gun shows you speak of.
                        Ship Alone
                        Let's take it one step at a time:
                        Is it legal to own an unregistered Colt 45 revolver?
                        Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
                          Let's take it one step at a time:
                          Is it legal to own an unregistered Colt 45 revolver?

Yes it is legal to own an unregistered Colt 45. It is legal to own any gun that is not registered. I know of no Federal law requiring registration. A background check is not 'registration'.

Ship Alone
                          Comment>

Yes it is legal to own an unregistered Colt 45. It is legal to own any gun that is not registered. I know of no Federal law requiring registration. A background check is not 'registration'.
                            Ship Alone
                            I may be conflating some of the draconian laws of my old stomping ground (New Jersey) with national laws ... so I yield that point.

It has been a while since I went out of my way to engage in criminal activity (longer than the statute of limitations) :) ... so I double checked to make sure that it was still possible, and it is.

I can purchase a "museum quality replica" revolver that does not have a cylinder bored all the way through (thus is not an operable firearm). It requires no check of anything, no restriction on resale, it is no different than purchasing a hammer. I can also buy a cylinder to convert my black powder revolver to fire modern cartridges that is also not a weapon and also requires no documentation or restriction on resale. I can swap the cylinders and have an operational firearm with no paperwork, no record of sale, no serial number. I just checked online and I could have those delivered to my house by Tuesday morning ... most of the delay is because they don't ship on Sunday. If I ordered M-F, I could have a functioning gun in my hand in 24 hours.

I could purchase a stolen revolver in about the same length of time for a fraction of the cost (and they are open on Sunday).

Is there any chance that I could file the paperwork and leave a legitimate gun store with a legal revolver by Tuesday morning?

Thus my claim that the laws as written favor criminals ... I can legally get the parts to build a gun faster than the 3 day waiting period that I have been told is required to buy a handgun from a gun store.
                            Comment>

atpollard

Well, you could have a functioning gun in your hand by just buying it from an individual that you knew in 1 hour. You don't need paperwork when buying from private individuals. If you have a gun, and I would like to buy it, then you can sell it to me. That does not require any background check. That's part of being a free country. Of course if you purchase a 'stolen revolver' , and you knew it, that would make you a criminal also.

Im not aware of any 3 day waiting period for a long gun or handgun. It all depends on the background check. You could receive it immediately.

The whole point you are making is that the criminal will always have guns. Your criminal actions will get you a gun. It is not that the laws 'favor criminals'. It is that the criminals will always break the law and get the guns when they want.

Ship Alone

Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap