Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

New Study Reveals Millennials More Skeptical of Church and Media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Study Reveals Millennials More Skeptical of Church and Media

A new Pew Research Center study has revealed that millennials are becoming more skeptical of religious organizations as well as the news media.

More...

I read an article in sociology class that the average American lies 200 times a day. They should be skeptical. People get really mad at me when I mention this article.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Chuckt View Post
      I read an article in sociology class that the average American lies 200 times a day. They should be skeptical. People get really mad at me when I mention this article.
      But can we trust you? :)
      Comment>

"According to Charisma News, the new study revealed that only 55 percent of millennials now believe churches and other religious organizations have a positive impact on the country. That is down from 73 percent in 2010."

Am I the only one having a WTF moment?
        In 2010, 73% of the children under 10 years old believed that churches were good.
        In 2016, 55% of the children under 16 years old believe that churches are good.

Is that really the group that we are focusing on, the opinions of 10 year olds vs hormonal teens?
        Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
          Am I the only one having a WTF moment?
          In 2010, 73% of the children under 10 years old believed that churches were good.
          In 2016, 55% of the children under 16 years old believe that churches are good.
          (Secular forums wouldn't tolerate you using Politically Incorrect expression there, so don't use vulgar expression here.)

The definition of Millennial isn't someone born in 2000, it's someone who reached adulthood around 2000.

The funny thing about that Christianheadlines article is that it comes form the Chrisma News website, the people who are doing more than any other Christian movement to create skepticism of Christianity.

Comment>

But can we trust you? :)
            No because I make mistakes very often and you're basically letting other people who don't care about you more than you to make decisions which is God's place alone. And when we always trust other people, we suspend our thinking or reasoning capability and leave it to someone else. What if someone else doesn't do X,Y and Z for you? I think Moses and Jesus would say:

Acts 7:27 But he that did his neighbour wrong thrust him away, saying, Who made thee a ruler and a judge over us?

And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you?

Luke 12:14 Jesus replied, "Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?"

Exodus 2:14 And he said, Who made thee a prince and a judge over us? intendest thou to kill me, as thou killedst the Egyptian? And Moses feared, and said, Surely this thing is known.

But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,
            John 2:24 But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all people.

Now you can ask yourself, "What would Jesus do?"

Does it work in congress? You get my drift.

I have a question though. At what point does trust equal shepherding?

Luke 22:25 And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors.
            Luke 22:26 But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.

And sometimes what people are doing is delaying Christian maturity:

Hebrews 5:12 ¶ For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
            Hebrews 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
            Hebrews 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Christians are laying down their spiritual armour because the Bible is almost no longer preached in most churches. What they teach are Biblical principles. God says we need to grow.

Comment>

No because I make mistakes very often and you're basically letting other people who don't care about you more than you to make decisions which is God's place alone.
              Good post, but I just wanted to make sure that the humor of my statement was clear.
              You said people lie 200 times a day and I questioned whether you were lying about that ... it was strictly humor.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
                (Secular forums wouldn't tolerate you using Politically Incorrect expression there, so don't use vulgar expression here.)

The definition of Millennial isn't someone born in 2000, it's someone who reached adulthood around 2000.

The funny thing about that Christianheadlines article is that it comes form the Chrisma News website, the people who are doing more than any other Christian movement to create skepticism of Christianity.
                I apologize for any offense. It conveys a connotation not easily communicated in any other way.

I take your word for the definition of Millenial, but that is a dramatic departure from how 'baby boomers' and 'generation-X' were defined.
                So what is 'adult', age 35 when they finally move out of their parents home? ;)
                Comment>

I read an article in sociology class that the average American lies 200 times a day.
                  I believe it.

Worse than people who lie are people who want to be lied to.
                  Comment>

The problem is; How do people join a church when their members are sinful and unbiblical when they say they are repentant? If I see these things in the most perfect people, shouldn't they see them? And does God see what you don't see in your life? When I lose things on the floor, I go get a flashlight to find them. Do you know why? I figure that God is light and sees everything so I should get a flashlight and see what I can see and flashlights are excellent in helping me find things that drop on the floor. What don't you see if you don't have the light as God to see it?
                    What point is there joining a church when the members resist change, won't study the Bible or do evangelism?
                    What point is there joining a church when the church is full of little old ladies that gossip?
                    I know pastors who use light profanity and I've met a lot Christians who will use profanity when fighting with non-Christians.
                    What point is there joining a church when they don't teach the Bible?
                    What point is there joining a church when they don't obey the Bible?
                    What point is there joining a church when there are hirelings at the top and the elders are not watching as watchman? They are more like a bunch of intolerant strawmen that can't bark.
                    Why join a church when the pastors are wasting my time?
                    Why join a Church that doesn't have a Christian library? Their young members are going to be stuck not knowing enough about the Bible because I spent a lot of my life buying Christian books to teach because the pastors won't teach.
                    Why join a Church that wants to dumb down Christians and play games by making Church for non-Christians?

I've worked with Christians for years trying to straighten out their lives and walk and it is no different trying to get people to give up their sin than trying to get a druggie off of drugs or get a lady of the night off of johns. They are shackled to their sin. I spent a lot of years trying to get more out of Christians.
                    Even in the courting scene, I've met women who have nothing going on in their spiritual life. What kind of Christian life do I want to have? Would you marry a baby Christian that might not walk with Christ in their spiritual life just because they might be a pewbie or creaster (Christmas and Easter goer only) because being unequally yoked is when someone (an adult Christian has to pull an immature Christian along)?
                    Why join a Church that is dead and refuses to be alive?
                    Why join a church that has a mixed multitude strangling what the Church can and cannot do? Some will kick you out if you want discipleship. Some will leave if the Church wants to grow.

In this life I have to be very patient and keep things non-personal and I think if people want to get along with me, help keep things gentle and non-personal.

Recognize that you and I are sinners and we need to repent and keep repenting even if you think you've got it all together.
                    Comment>

WTF
                      Please refrain from using both vulgarity or abbreviations of vulgar catch phrases.

God bless,
                      William
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap