Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

Man Dies in 40 Day Fast to Imitate Christ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Dies in 40 Day Fast to Imitate Christ

A Zimbabwean Christian who was trying to imitate Jesus and fast for 40 days in the wilderness has died.

More...

No healthy person should have a problem fasting 40 days. Many people are malnourished, even if they eat a lot every day. Some people have diseases that make fasting more of a challenge. BTW, more people, even most people, die from eating-related complications, than from complications from non-eating.
    Comment>

Jesus was so wiped out from the 40-day fast, He had angels who ministered to him and bring Him back to health. Men don't necessarily have that advantage. Also, attempting a 40-day fast could be construed as tempting the Lord thy God. Other than Jesus, I know of no other man (Jesus being man-God) who attempted or otherwise had fasted that long and lived.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
        Other than Jesus, I know of no other man (Jesus being man-God) who attempted or otherwise had fasted that long and lived.
        Moses fasted 40 days when God gave him the 10 commandments. Elijah also fasted for 40 days.

And he arose and ate and drank, and went in the strength of that food forty days and forty nights to Horeb, the mount of God.
        (1 Kings 19:8 ESV)
        Of course in both cases they were following commands by God. I agree that no one should try a 40 day fast unless he receives a special command from God to do so.
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

For all I know, the old man died of dehydration (what are the odds, drinking water out of contaminated streams and ponds). 40-day fasts are not rare. They're just usually so uneventful that the public doesn't hear about them (and, they're not the kind of thing people advertise). There's a well documented case of an obese man fasting for 382 days, without ill effects. He lost 276 pounds (although, he did take vitamin supplements). (Five years later, the man only regained 15 pounds.) There's a woman on youtube who has documented three 40-day fasts back-to-back, with no ill effects (with a week between each fast).

But, Stratcat is right. Jesus was ministered to by angels after completing his fast. So, there is the necessary reminder, if you're going to do long fasts, do it under supervision, and not out in the wilderness.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap