Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

Church Revokes 92-Year-Old Woman's Membership for Not Tithing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church Revokes 92-Year-Old Woman's Membership for Not Tithing

A 92-year-old Alabama woman will no longer be considered a member church at the church she attended for over 50 years because she was not tithing.

More...

Is mandatory tithing a trend in black churches? Should the church make an exception to their standards of conduct, voted and approved by the congregation and maybe by this woman herself, just because a member has been there a very long time?

I see on their facebook page, people posting hateful and judgmental messages to shame this church. In looking for this church's website, I came across other such messages aimed at this church, but mistakenly posted on websites for other black churches. The lynch mob should be more careful about whose homes they enter to vandalize.

It's not at all clear to me that this woman's membership is suspended for lack of tithing. The article mentions her lack of "physical participation", when she was "sick for several months." Maybe some ham-headed church bureaucrat was unaware that her several months absence was temporary and they thought she just no longer wished to be a member so they "removed [her from] active status" to keep their roles updated. Maybe the church was told that she wasn't coming back, and the family is just is making stink over the form-letter that was sent to the woman, like they think that her not coming back is no excuse for the church to remove her from active status. Some people are always looking for proof of victimhood. And, some people will dial 911 when McDonald's messes up their order.

Even if it was over tithes, one of the critical messages accused the church of being a den of robbers. I don't think mandatory tithes is the same as exploitive commercial activities on Temple grounds.
    Comment>

Tithing is not commanded in the NT. It was commanded in the OT to support the priests and temple, but they don't exist Biblically today. To give today, read 1 Cor. 16:2: On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come.

2 Cor. 9:6-8: Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed.

2 Cor. 8:3-5: For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability, they gave of their own accord, begging us with much urging for the favor of participation in the support of the saints, and this, not as we had expected, but they first gave themselves to the Lord and to us by the will of God.
      Comment>
      Working...
      X
      Articles - News - SiteMap