Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

Florida Church Threatens to Boot Member for 'Financial Delinquency;' Gives Her 90 Days to Overcome 'Hardship'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Church Threatens to Boot Member for 'Financial Delinquency;' Gives Her 90 Days to Overcome 'Hardship'

More...

A church like this would be doing a favor for any member is expels from membership.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

The church might have found itself in a position of mandatory tithes (of less than 1 day's pay per month) or folding. This woman knew about the church rule when she joined and it seems the real issue is she thinks the tithing should have been suspended when she was absent. And, basically, if this woman doesn't pay, all she loses is voting privileges.

Churches are generally the only nonprofit (non-tax supported) organizations that don't charge membership fees. I know of many non-religious nonprofits that charge large, sometimes outrageous fees. And, even worse than high fees is the large number of secular charities where most of the donated money does not go the cause/people for which the money is donated.

And, of course, the tax-supported nonprofits take money from you with a virtual gun pointed to your head.

Comment>

#3 is true enough, but tithing is no longer required. That was for the OT priests and the temple. Since that is done away in the NT with churches and missionaries, etc. to give to, we are told to give cheerfully as we will to the Lord, as we are able or above that which we are able - 1 Cor. 16:2: On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come.

2 Cor. 9:6-8: Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed.

2 Cor. 8:3-5: For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability, they gave of their own accord, begging us with much urging for the favor of participation in the support of the saints, and this, not as we had expected, but they first gave themselves to the Lord and to us by the will of God.

Therefore, that church has absolutely no right to castigate anyone who does not give or give what they can. God is judge, and will judge each of us according to our works and giving for reward or loss.
        Last edited by Stratcat; 07-15-2015, 03:17 PM.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap