Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

Should Women Who Get Abortions be Prosecuted?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Women Who Get Abortions be Prosecuted?

While all pro-life advocates may agree that it is important to protect the lives of unborn children, they sometimes disagree on whether or not the woman who is getting the abortion should be prosecuted.

More...

Originally posted by Christforums View Post
    While all pro-life advocates may agree that it is important to protect the lives of unborn children, they sometimes disagree on whether or not the woman who is getting the abortion should be prosecuted.

More...
    At the very least it should be considered assisted euthanasia, manslaughter.. Why should women hold views that they can kill a life just because it's in their body.. This is selfish and irresponsible as they produced the life-form,

So a simple answer is yes they should be prosecuted but to what account is the difficult question.

women need to understand they have no rights to their body nor do they own it.. Their own right to life is not even in their hands.
    Comment>

It should first be made illegal and then prosecuted, yes, but to what extent is the difficult part.
      Comment>

Perhaps the way to answer this question is to look at the past. When abortion was illegal were the women who got them prosecuted?
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
          Perhaps the way to answer this question is to look at the past. When abortion was illegal were the women who got them prosecuted?
          That's a good question. I wonder what the consequences were or were supposed to be for breaking that law.
          Comment>

I think the answer is rather simple. What does the bible suggest as the penalty for premeditated murder?

I think the penalty for murder should always be the same. The question is how much "mercy" does the court have the right to show during sentencing? Would we be for much mercy towards someone unrepentant? What about towards an abortion provider that sees no wrongdoing on their part?

Conspiring to murder or partaking as an accessory of murder results in the penalty of murder. Until we boldly profess abortion murder and the unborn human with rights to life then I believe our arguments against abortion are ineffective.

Again, the standard is not what we think, but rather what God through the Scriptures has given.

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

You would also need to take into consideration why a woman chose to have an abortion. I have heard that many of them are pressured to do so by others. This wouldn't relieve the woman of guilt but it could mean that her punishment should be less.
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

You would also need to take into consideration why a woman chose to have an abortion. I have heard that many of them are pressured to do so by others. This wouldn't relieve the woman of guilt but it could mean that her punishment should be less.
                Thou shall not murder unless pressured by friends, family, or your pimp? Said no Scriptures ever.

So if I am compelled by social pressure to murder my neighbor it should bare less penalty?

If a woman committed murder (abortion) and has no guilt over it she should sit and rot in prison until she shows remorse. That is if the death penalty is ruled out. There should be no early parole. Why would anybody let a murderer roam free in society that shows no remorse for what they have done?

How do we think we have gotten into this mess. The reason over 57 million people have been murdered in the womb is because people have no guilt committing murder.

Doesn't make sense, brother.

God bless,
                William
                Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
                  Thou shall not murder unless pressured by friends, family, or your pimp? Said no Scriptures ever.
                  No, but the degree of guilt is affected by the amount of outward pressure involved.
                  Clyde Herrin's Blog
                  Comment>

No, but the degree of guilt is affected by the amount of outward pressure involved.
                    I agree. Someone with no remorse should face the death penalty.

Let the outward pressure against murder be greater than social pressure to commit murder.

God bless,
                    William
                    Comment>

I gave my time in a couple Pregnancy Center's. So I can relate to you what I saw and heard from most all of the "Victims" who became pregnant by men who abused and used many of these women. Before you want to prosecute these women who seek abortions you must see it took two make this child in the womb. Most of the women I talked with were poor, most were single, and all were needing Jesus Christ. Each and everyone who came in wanted to know "Am I pregnant?" When the came to the Pregnancy Center I saw shame, being desperate, and not only needing to know if they were pregnant, but is there any hope in case I am.

After the women gave a urin sample in a small jar, they watched a short film, they went to the place where a Christian woman gave them not only the results but how there was help for them if they were with child. If the results were negative the woman spent time offering them help to change their life. None left without hearing the Gospel, the GREAT news that Jesus loved them and they did not to live like this. I do not remember a woman coming in who stated she was married.

For many Christians, and I am speaking from not only my from experience in the pregnancy Center, but also as a pastor, many Christians have had sex before getting married. Men especially have had sex before marriage and in marriage today even among Christians affair's have happened.. My wife and me have counseled a number of people who people who failed in their Covenant Marriage. Perhaps some reading this have experienced this failure (sin) as well. There is Forgiveness with repentance, no matter what our sin is. ! John 1:9.

I in no way justify sexual sin, no matter what the reason is. But keep in mind if we insist we prosecuting a woman for killing her child in her womb, there is a man somewhere that has to face the same charge! You would be shocked how many men forced abortion on the woman they use and abuse, even in marriage. There are no simple answers to.age old wickedness of killing children in the womb. I hate abortion! But I remind Jesus Loves the person, but loves the person.

If we want to change the law allowing abortion get involved in pregnancy Centers, call your Congressman, Senators, start a petition, but you can't just hate make a statement on this Christforum and do nothing! Get involved! There is huge need for help with single mothers who struggle to just feed their child, say nothing about a babysitter and work. There maybe such a woman in your church that needs your help, look and see, but do something!.

justme
                      Comment>

Originally posted by justme View Post
                        But keep in mind if we insist we prosecuting a woman for killing her child in her womb, there is a man somewhere that has to face the same charge!
                        First, it is not killing but rather murder when a woman takes the life of an innocent child. Murder insinuates a motive to end an innocent life. Killing is justiifed. Can someone prove the unborn baby guilty of sin, even if the mother's life is in someway in jeopardy from carrying the baby? The emphasis should be on a person, a real person's life that will be taken even in cases where the child needs to die in order to save the mother's life. Abortion always ends in the death of an innocent party. Not all men know that spouses or whomever relations are pregnant. The information is kept from them. The same can be said about parents, children are protected by privacy acts where parents are not notified of their children seeking abortion.

The reason sexual immorality and murder exists involves the inward nature of mankind. However, outwardly, the Government has the authority and duty to be a physical stumbling block towards the unrighteous. Education and Law does not change the heart, but it can bind a person from making wrong decisions when coupled with physical penalty. Even in the OT if two men fought and injured a woman that her pregnancy should be affected there was penalty. Two men could be arguing over whose child it is and someone could literally kick the woman in the stomach and if the child was injured there were repercussions. The Law did not give penalty for actually murdering the child if such action actually went that far. We know the consequences of murder but our authority has failed to live up to their duty. The reason why our authorities have failed to live up to their ordained duty is because we vote into office men that are not God fearing. Instead, we vote monarchs whom take upon themselves the role of God and justify what is right or wrong according to man (democracy).

God bless,
                        William
                        Comment>

I use to be very pro on death sentencing murderers, murder for murder was a stance I only thought was fair.. Until I was reading some writings from Menno Simons where basically by sending someone to death for whatever charge you are denying their time & chance to repent forthe crime they have committed.. And I tend to agree,

men shouldn't play the role of God.. He himself judges accordingly when the time is right, by denying someone's right to life you are ultimately denying them the chance of forgiveness and repentance.

So I don't agree murder should be the charge here.. But very most certainly it is murder and a punishment must be dealt but that's going into politics & Christians shouldn't get too involved.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by Bliss View Post
                            I use to be very pro on death sentencing murderers, murder for murder was a stance I only thought was fair.. Until I was reading some writings from Menno Simons where basically by sending someone to death for whatever charge you are denying their time & chance to repent forthe crime they have committed.. And I tend to agree,

men shouldn't play the role of God.. He himself judges accordingly when the time is right, by denying someone's right to life you are ultimately denying them the chance of forgiveness and repentance.

So I don't agree murder should be the charge here.. But very most certainly it is murder and a punishment must be dealt but that's going into politics & Christians shouldn't get too involved.
                            Scripture is very clear as to the maximum penalty for murder. Capital punishment protects the Sanctity of life as only life for a life can protect it. What other options are there? Serve life in prison and the message is that a criminal's time is equal to the life they've taken. Fine the criminal and we put a dollar amount on the life. This is not to suggest that a magistrate may not demonstrate mercy. But it is not the Government's place to forgive sins.

And Judges that sentence a murderer to life do not take upon themselves the role of God. It is traditional for them to say "May God have mercy upon your soul". The magistrates have the right to wield the sword and actively seek out evil. Mankind failing to act out the punishment for a crime just proves man is incapable of living up to God's righteous standard. Man thinks himself more righteous than God. It is not the duty of the magistrates to play Church, but to execute the Law, less we deem the Law given from God unrighteous.

Again, no matter how you cut it, abortion is murder and it carries a penalty and death sentence according to Scripture. Consider:

Question

What is the biblical view of capital punishment? The Old Testament seems to allow it for murderers. In the New Testament I don't seem to find as much, except that Romans 13:4 talks of the sword, which is commonly associated with death as an instrument of execution.

Answer

The Bible regularly supports capital punishment; it nowhere suggests that capital punishment is inappropriate. In the Old Testament, there are many mentions of valid capital punishment (Gen. 9:6; Exod. 21:12-17,29; 22:19; 31:14-15; 35:2; Lev. 20:2,9-16,27; 24:16,17,21; 27:29; Num. 1:51; 3:10,38; 15:35-36; 18:7; 35:9-34; Deut. 13:5,9; 17:2-12; 18:20; 19:11-21; 21:22; 22:22,25; 24:7,16; Josh. 1:18 to name just a few), though many crimes other than murder are also liable to this punishment. It is worth noting, however, that generally the legal language in the Bible does not speak in terms of mandatory sentencing, but rather in terms of maximum sentencing (but not always; cf. Deut. 19:11-21).

In the New Testament, the Old Testament Law is still the standard (Matt. 5:17-19). No further law is given regarding this issue in the New Testament because no further clarification was necessary beyond what the Old Testament had already said. Also, as you mention, Paul indicated that the obligation and delegated authority to inflict capital punishment was not limited to Israel. Rather, God delegates authority to all civil governments to uphold this aspect of the Law (e.g. Rom. 13:4, which mentions not only the "sword," but also "avenger" and "wrath"). In fact, this aspect was already present in the Old Testament as well: the instruction regarding capital punishment in Genesis 9:6 was given to all mankind, not just to Israel.

It is also worth saying that God himself employs capital punishment both in this world and in the next. Examples from the Old Testament abound (e.g. Exod. 4:24; 13:15; and let's not forget the Flood of Gen. 6-8!), but even in the New Testament God executes those who anger him (e.g. Acts 12:23; 1 Cor. 11:30). This should not surprise us, though, for it was God himself who gave the law regarding capital punishment in the first place, and it is his law and authority that he delegates to modern governments to exercise the death penalty. In the world to come, God will execute eternal capital punishment against sinners in hell (e.g. Matt. 10:28).

I'm aware that some Christian schools of thought oppose the death penalty as unbiblical, appealing to such things as the image of God in man, or to the fact that only God has the right to take a life. These arguments go against clear biblical mandate. God specifically instructed that certain criminals and sinners were to be put to death, or could be put to death. He did not impose a standard of absolute certainty regarding their crimes, nor did he say that to put such people to death was an affront against the image of God in man. In fact, in Genesis 9:6 it is precisely because the murderer has struck out against the image of God in another man that the murderer is to be put to death. The death penalty respects and protects the image of God; it does not attack it.

Does all this mean that we ought to be putting people to death right and left? No. The biblical examples given to us do not support that idea. Liability unto death (maximum sentencing) does not imply the appropriateness of execution in every case. For example, David was a murderer, but the Bible makes no sounds about putting him to death for his crimes (2 Sam. 12:9ff.). Forgiveness and mercy are almost always options, as is lighter sentencing when the circumstances merit it. Moreover, we have to consider the many differences between the situations addressed directly by the biblical texts, and those in which we find ourselves. We need to determine what lasting principles the laws attempted to display and enforce, and, based on that information, figure out how to apply the laws in our own day. Sometimes this will mean that we do not argue that all criminals liable unto death in the Old Testament ought to be executed in our modern cultures. Nevertheless, the propriety of capital punishment in principle cannot be denied. - Reformed Answers
                            Question: "What does the Bible say about the death penalty / capital punishment?"

Answer:
                            The Old Testament law commanded the death penalty for various acts: murder (Exodus 21:12), kidnapping (Exodus 21:16), bestiality (Exodus 22:19), adultery (Leviticus 20:10), homosexuality (Leviticus 20:13), being a false prophet (Deuteronomy 13:5), prostitution and rape (Deuteronomy 22:24), and several other crimes. However, God often showed mercy when the death penalty was due. David committed adultery and murder, yet God did not demand his life be taken (2 Samuel 11:1-5, 14-17; 2 Samuel 12:13). Ultimately, every sin we commit should result in the death penalty because the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23). Thankfully, God demonstrates His love for us in not condemning us (Romans 5:8).

When the Pharisees brought a woman who was caught in the act of adultery to Jesus and asked Him if she should be stoned, Jesus replied, “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her” (John 8:7). This should not be used to indicate that Jesus rejected capital punishment in all instances. Jesus was simply exposing the hypocrisy of the Pharisees. The Pharisees wanted to trick Jesus into breaking the Old Testament law; they did not truly care about the woman being stoned (where was the man who was caught in adultery?) God is the One who instituted capital punishment: “Whoever sheds man's blood, by man his blood shall be shed, for in the image of God He made man” (Genesis 9:6). Jesus would support capital punishment in some instances. Jesus also demonstrated grace when capital punishment was due (John 8:1-11). The apostle Paul definitely recognized the power of the government to institute capital punishment where appropriate (Romans 13:1-7).

How should a Christian view the death penalty? First, we must remember that God has instituted capital punishment in His Word; therefore, it would be presumptuous of us to think that we could institute a higher standard. God has the highest standard of any being; He is perfect. This standard applies not only to us but to Himself. Therefore, He loves to an infinite degree, and He has mercy to an infinite degree. We also see that He has wrath to an infinite degree, and it is all maintained in a perfect balance.

Second, we must recognize that God has given government the authority to determine when capital punishment is due (Genesis 9:6; Romans 13:1-7). It is unbiblical to claim that God opposes the death penalty in all instances. Christians should never rejoice when the death penalty is employed, but at the same time, Christians should not fight against the government’s right to execute the perpetrators of the most evil of crimes. - Gotquestions.org
                            Got bless,
                            William
                            Comment>

William I used the term killing as abortion is a deliberate act of "murder" it is intentional a predetermined act end with the results of death. So William I agree with you.I agree that murdering a child in or out of the womb is, murder! I should have worded it differently. So except my sincere heart felt apology, please.. Scripture does in truth call for the death of someone murdering any human being! However our country no longer protects a child's life unborn or born.

Murdering someone often does not always result in a sentence of death, more often they are given life in prison. I have read of people getting out in seven years after being convicted of premeditated murder. Perhaps no Stare is as lacks as California, in caring out long prison therms, because of over crowding. Many States are faced with the same issue. Recently I read of a man that was sentenced to death and asked for an extension of execution as the medication used to put him to death caused him seizures. However the three persons he brutally hammed to death suffered greatly before they died. This is beyond any reason, and he should die as he made his victims die.

We now live in a World where Scripture is considered to be barbaric and antiquated. When the life of children in the womb is no longer protected, when people can go and get a doctor to prescribe a combination of drugs that they can end their life, the results are murder, by the hands of health professionals who swear to protect the lives of their patients. This is a time where Gods laws are ignored and most people willingly, with full awareness make to choice to dismiss the Bible, the very Word of God, and do life as they want. There is coming a day of judgment when those who reject Christ Jesus, and Gods directions on how to live life. Those of us whom God has called need to praise the Lord for His Grace, Love and Mercy. Amen.

justme

Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap