Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

Man ‘marries’ his laptop, sues for state recognition and a wedding cake!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man ‘marries’ his laptop, sues for state recognition and a wedding cake!

Man 'marries' laptop, sues for recognition, wedding cake - Washington Times

Click image for larger version

Name:	promo291601361.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&strip=all.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	45928

By Alex Swoyer - The Washington Times - Sunday, July 30, 2017

Chris Sevier says that if same-sex couples are able to get married and demand that Christian bakers make them wedding cakes, then he should be allowed to marry his laptop and demand a cake to celebrate the union between one man and one machine.

The self-identified “machinist” says he married his laptop in a ceremony in New Mexico, and now he has sued to demand that a Colorado baker — who is already in court after refusing to bake for a same-sex marriage — must be compelled to make cakes for him and his computer “bride.” He also has filed a lawsuit demanding that Utah recognize his man-object marriage.

It’s the latest battlefront in an increasingly thorny area of law, after the U.S. Supreme Court in 2015 established a constitutional right to same-sex marriage.

While legal analysts said the case is a stretch, a judge in Utah has allowed part of that lawsuit to proceed, and analysts concede that Mr. Sevier’s claims get to the heart of how far the 2015 Obergefell ruling stretches when it comes to nontraditional unions.

“If marriage based on self-asserted sex-based identity narratives is a ‘fundamental right,’ ‘individual right,’ ‘existing right,’ based on a ‘personal choice’ for homosexuals, then clearly it is also a ‘fundamental right,’ ‘individual right,’ ‘existing right,’ based on a ‘personal choice’ for polygamists, zoophiles and machinists,” Mr. Sevier and several self-identified polygamists said in their lawsuit against Masterpiece Cakeshop, the Colorado baker they are challenging.

Masterpiece Cakeshop baker Jack Phillips is slated for a day in the Supreme Court this year after justices said they would hear his appeal of a Colorado civil rights office that penalized him for refusing to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding.

Judge won’t toss lawsuit by man who wants to marry his computer in Utah | fox13now.com
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon

The law used to say it was okay for a man or woman to be united with the same sex but not married. My personal opinion is keep God out of it. Why can't these people be with who they want without getting God involved. When someone gets married, they're unifying themselves with God. So same sex couples should be allowed a civil union but not marriage in my opinion. Anyways marrying a laptop takes the cake on this one. I wonder if "he gets to keep the laptop" when they get divorced, lol.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
      I wonder if "he gets to keep the laptop" when they get divorced, lol.
      One of my friends read it and wondered if some of his other, faithful technology (like his iPhone) might be jealous about this new "wife" of his I suppose he could choose to marry them both, but wouldn't that be considered bigamy (outside of Utah anyway)?

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
      Comment>

I guess it just goes to show how little thought people actually give to God's Word / marriage/ family. God has given mankind marriage -- it's not something that people made up. And then we have people like this computer guy -- it's total craziness -- it should be 'tossed out the window' , thrown away as the stupidity that it is.
        Comment>

Hi Sue, actually, I don't know if this guy is a Christian or not, but I believe he is pursuing this ridiculousness to test the grounds upon which SCOTUS approved SSM, and by doing so, demonstrate to one and all the scope of the total craziness of such a ruling.

Of course, I could be wrong, since he apparently filed the lawsuit along with several polygamists who are seeking to legalize their particular brand of marriage too. The polygamists were expected however, as the next "wave" of those seeking to legalize non-traditional unions through the courts, but this guys laptop marriage was not.

It should be an interesting case to follow (if it doesn't end up making us sick to do so).

--David

Comment>

Seems that there are always people who want to 'test the waters' -- sometimes something Is needed as a 'wake up' call -- other times it's someone simply out to get attention.

So -- as you've suggested -- DL -- it Will be interesting to see what happens. A sense of humor will probably help :)
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap