Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

All your energy eggs in one basket ... and the apocalypse.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • All your energy eggs in one basket ... and the apocalypse.

    [FONT=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=16px]Nuclear power is clean, say some, they are speaking about Uranium 235 based reactors. The same fuel cycle that Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, and Fukushima used. The accidents do not make the fuel cycle inherently unsafe but the need to operate a reactor at high temperature with water as coolant which when overheated becomes steam leads to the need for a containment vessel that can withstand many atmospheres of pressure. That failures can happen is demonstrated by the examples given above. Is there another way?[/SIZE]

    [SIZE=16px]Some, in recent years, have been advocating a Thorium fuel cycle - you can check it out on youtube if you are interested - as safe because it is cooled by means of molten salt and the reaction will stop if the coolant is removed thus reducing the risk of catastrophic failure.[/SIZE]

    [SIZE=16px]Wind power, wave power, solar power, and various other forms of 'renewable' power exist and the economics of using them is quickly approaching the levels that we have with oil, gas, and coal. The advantage of these over oil, gas, and coal is that they do not produce CO[/SIZE]2[SIZE=16px] in significant amounts.[/SIZE]

    [SIZE=16px]Now, what I am wondering is this. Since the holy scriptures warn of a time when mankind will be scorched with heat (Rev 16:8,9) and global warming seems to predict such events in many climates that were formerly warm and mild is it possible that creating too much CO2 in the atmosphere may be a prophetic sign of the end and that renewable energy or safe nuclear energy may mitigate the possibility of bringing on the apocalypse?[/SIZE][/FONT]

  • #2
    I don't take the contents of the vision of Revelation literally. But, I do take the Bible, as a whole, more literally than those who claim to take the vision of Revelation literally. It would be completely hypocritical for anyone to link Rev 16 with Global Warming. The text says fire will scorch the earth. Global Warming isn't fire. And, even in Al Gore's wildest dreams, Global Warming is just a few degrees, not enough to literally scorch the earth.

    A century from now, fossil fuels will be mostly depleted and CO2 in the air won't be going up anymore due to man's activity. And, then everyone will be able to look back on how naive the Global Warming fear-mongers were and everyone can look back on how silly the supposed "literalists" were who linked Revelation to 20th-century events, uh, I mean 21st century-events.







    Comment>

    • #3
      Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
      I don't take the contents of the vision of Revelation literally. But, I do take the Bible, as a whole, more literally than those who claim to take the vision of Revelation literally. It would be completely hypocritical for anyone to link Rev 16 with Global Warming. The text says fire will scorch the earth. Global Warming isn't fire. And, even in Al Gore's wildest dreams, Global Warming is just a few degrees, not enough to literally scorch the earth.

      A century from now, fossil fuels will be mostly depleted and CO2 in the air won't be going up anymore due to man's activity. And, then everyone will be able to look back on how naive the Global Warming fear-mongers were and everyone can look back on how silly the supposed "literalists" were who linked Revelation to 20th-century events, uh, I mean 21st century-events.
      [FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]I couldn't help but chuckle that the underlined statement. Surely you can't be more literal than those who take everything literally?

      And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire. And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory. (Revelation 16:8-9 KJV)[/SIZE][/FONT]

      [SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]The passage says "[/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]to scorch men with fire[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]" and it seems to me that one effect of global warming is an increase in the number of forest and grassland fires and these fires certainly scorch men and men's buildings. The passage also says "[/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]" So I don't quite see the connection between taking that passage at face value and hypocrisy. One can't help but think that your post falls victim to its own "literalism" when it says "The text says fire will scorch the earth. Global Warming isn't fire. And, even in Al Gore's wildest dreams, Global Warming is just a few degrees, not enough to literally scorch the earth.[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]" So one does not feel confident in the prediction made in your post; namely "A century from now, fossil fuels will be mostly depleted and CO2 in the air won't be going up anymore due to man's activity. And, then everyone will be able to look back on how naive the Global Warming fear-mongers were and everyone can look back on how silly the supposed "literalists" were who linked Revelation to 20th-century events, uh, I mean 21st century-events"[/FONT][/SIZE]
      Last edited by peppermint; 06-28-2015, 05:27 PM. Reason: typo correction
      Comment>

      • #4
        Originally posted by peppermint View Post
        [FONT=trebuchet ms]I couldn't help but chuckle that the underlined statement. Surely you can't be more literal than those who take everything literally?[/FONT]
        [FONT=trebuchet ms]You're misrepresenting what I said. I said those who claim to take the Bible literally don't, at least not to the degree that I do.[/FONT]

        [FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]to scorch men with fire[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms]" and it seems to me that one effect of global warming is an increase in the number of forest and grassland fires and these fires certainly scorch men and men's buildings. The passage also says "[/FONT][SIZE=16px]And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God[/SIZE]"
        I think it would be hard to link increased forest fires to global warming. More likely, most western forest fires are caused environmentalist laws that protect aging forests from logging and controlled burning. 50 years ago, California's forests were managed much differently than today. In any case, forest fires does not appear to be what Revelation talking about. And, the number of people being scorched by these fires is insignificant, and that doesn't appear to be changing.

        You're not talking Revelation literally. It says an angel poured a vial upon the sun. Global warming has nothing to do with an angel pouring anything on the sun. Then there's my previous point that global warming isn't fire and isn't scorching people, in spite of your very reaching attempt to point to forest fires.
        Comment>

        • #5
          Global warming is just another way to put 'fear' in to people's minds, and it's not man made, it's just another way to tax working citizens. Look through out earth history, and you will probably find its happened before.
          But,
          The earth's magnetic poles have Been shifting in the last 300 years.
          Comment>

          • #6
            Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
            ...
            You're not talking Revelation literally. It says an angel poured a vial upon the sun. Global warming has nothing to do with an angel pouring anything on the sun. Then there's my previous point that global warming isn't fire and isn't scorching people, in spite of your very reaching attempt to point to forest fires.
            [FONT=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=16px]Angels tend to do things that people do not see and what's so hard about believing that an angel can pour something from a container of some kind onto the sun? I reckon angels can do a heap of things that seem odd to people who want everything to fit the limits of their idea of what's credible and what's not.

            As far as increased forest and bush fires go; we had them both in Europe (Portugal and Spain) and in Australia and I think that the USA has recently had amazing fires in Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and California and probably some other states too so the idea that global warming might be connected to fires and scorching men (and women) with flames and heat seems entirely within the realms of current experience. I can't help but think that the problem expressed in your post is more about the way you've reasoned from "scorching men with fire" to global warming being a blow-torch temperature phenomena and that's obviously not what global warming is nor is it what the verses say in Revelation 16:8,9 KJV.

            [/SIZE][/FONT]
            Last edited by peppermint; 06-29-2015, 04:49 AM.
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by peppermint View Post
              Angels tend to do things that people do not see and what's so hard about believing that an angel can pour something from a container of some kind onto the sun? I reckon angels can do a heap of things that seem odd to people who want everything to fit the limits of their idea of what's credible and what's not.

              As far as increased forest and bush fires go; we had them both in Europe (Portugal and Spain) and in Australia and I think that the USA has recently had amazing fires in Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and California and probably some other states too so the idea that global warming might be connected to fires and scorching men (and women) with flames and heat seems entirely within the realms of current experience. I can't help but think that the problem expressed in your post is more about the way you've reasoned from "scorching men with fire" to global warming being a blow-torch temperature phenomena and that's obviously not what global warming is nor is it what the verses say in Revelation 16:8,9 KJV.

              [/SIZE][/FONT]
              Recent forest fires being the fulfillment of literal apocalyptic events, I find that to be laughable. But, granted, what I laugh at is subject, so let’s look and something objective.

              Revelation says the sun does the scorching, not wildfires. So, right there, literalism destroys your claim. But, wait, there’s more. This is the forth bowl, of seven in the chapter, chapter 16. This is after many other global horrors that most phony literalists say haven’t happened yet. Bowl three is the rivers turning to blood. How did I miss that?

              More bad news for your claim is that forest fires are actually on the decline. Here’s proof for the US: U.S. fire statistics . Do you know about Australia’s history? Back in the first half the 20th century, it was common for tens of millions of acres of Australia to go in smoke. The newscaster in your video is screaming about fires that had destroyed just 1% of what Australia has seen burned in some years in the 20th century.

              What is it do you think the angel poured into the sun to cause atmospheric C02 levels on earth to rise? If you take it literally, the angel’s activity must have some connection to Global Warming.



              Comment>

              • #8
                [FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]fulfillment is not what I'd call it but I would happily say it is an example of what may come if global warming continues unabaited.[/SIZE][/FONT]
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Revelation is not about the future. Even if we saw an angel pouring from a bowl something into the sun, and as a consequence solar flares erupted and engulfed the Earth, scorching millions of people, it wouldn't be the fulfillment of Revelation because that's not the meaning of the passage. Although, if that actually happened, I'd change my view.

                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
                    Revelation is not about the future. Even if we saw an angel pouring from a bowl something into the sun, and as a consequence solar flares erupted and engulfed the Earth, scorching millions of people, it wouldn't be the fulfillment of Revelation because that's not the meaning of the passage. Although, if that actually happened, I'd change my view.
                    [FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]Didn't your post just contradict itself ... "Even if ... it wouldn't be the fulfillment of Revelation because that's not the meaning of the passage. Although, if that actually happened, I'd change my view." Doesn't that amount to saying "it's all lies but if it happens then it's all true" [/SIZE][/FONT]
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap