Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

Shunned for supporting natural marriage, former Mozilla CEO is back with new browser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shunned for supporting natural marriage, former Mozilla CEO is back with new browser

SAN FRANCISCO, September 28, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) — The former CEO of Mozilla has released a new Internet browser called Brave.

Brendan Eich, the creator of JavaScript, continues to lead the technological revolution with Brave, an innovative concept in Internet browsers.

After blowing away the competition (read: Microsoft's Internet Explorer) with the Internet browser Firefox, Eich has come up with Brave, a nearly ad-free, lightning-fast browser that eliminates intrusive ads as well as common but unwanted tracking tack-ons.

A tech legend for his JavaScript and Firefox contributions, Eich was betrayed by his contemporaries and forced out of business as CEO of Mozilla, the company behind Firefox, because he supported natural marriage.

When it was revealed in 2014 that Eich donated $1,000 to California’s Proposition 8 ballot proposal, which defined marriage as the union of one man and one woman, he was blackballed, even though Proposition 8 was supported by the majority of Californians and easily passed in 2008.

Eich was publicly shamed because he believed in natural marriage and family. He was openly called a racist, Nazi, and inhumane.

But the tenacious techie didn't give up. Without apology, Eich continued to innovate and ultimately came up with a whole new concept in web browsers: the ad-free, tracking-free, fast internet browser Brave.

In November 2015, Eich raised $2.5 million to create an advanced super-technical team. By August 2016, the company had raised $4.5 million in seed money to launch the browser.

Brave is called an entirely new way to browse the web without being intrusively tracked, and without time-consuming download ads.

Internet users have increasingly been using ad blockers like AdBlock Plus to cut down on the ads that slow Internet browsers down. But even with ad blocker software, users still see a lot of ads because the blockers have special arrangements with major advertisers to let their ads through.

Even the ad industry has acknowledged it has "alienated" users with so many ads slowing down computers, causing users to wait an inordinate amount of time for basic searches and information.

The Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB), which represents 650 organizations serving nearly 86 percent of all Internet advertisements, has admitted defeat to the ad-blocking software onslaught.

“We messed up,” IAB Vice President Scott Cunningham wrote. “As technologists tasked with delivering content and services to users, we lost track of the user experience.”

Internet analyst Al Hilwa told Forbes that Brave “recognizes the key fact that browsing has become truly onerous and ever slower, even as devices have become faster.” He pointed out that the “complex web of ad downloads” is far greater and more time-consuming than the website content itself.

In contrast to the Internet status quo, Eich’s new Brave blocks everything. It doesn’t load any of the advertising software code and also blocks tracking from the start.

"On the desktop, Brave provides a 40 percent to 60 percent speed increase, and a 2x to 4x speed increase on mobile devices," Brave's Catherine Corre told LifeSiteNews.

"Therefore, mobile users also see a direct reduction in both battery and data plan consumption."

"Brave also protects users with leading privacy and security features such as encrypted data traffic, fingerprinting shields, phishing protection, malware filtering, and script blocking," Corre explained in an email.

Because of Eich’s history, Brave was opposed before it was officially launched. Major media websites took legal action to stop it, sending a cease and desist letter, claiming Brave was illegal because it blocked advertisements.

But Eich defended Brave, explaining that it does not replace the publisher's own ads. "We do not tamper with any first-party publisher content, including native ads that do not use third-party tracking."

"Brendan picked the name 'Brave' because we need users who will take a stand and fight back," Corre told LifeSiteNews. "We see third party ads and tracking as toxic, and we block that by default."

To compensate websites and advertisers, Brave inserts non-obtrusive, non-obnoxious ads that do not track users. Revenue from the ads helps pay websites, ad networks, and users.

Brave's address bar even has a timer displaying how quickly a webpage loads.

Who says the traditionalists can't win in today's politically correct world?

Source: Shunned for supporting natural marriage, former Mozilla CEO is back with new browser | News | LifeSite

Just downloaded and installed this browser. Pretty impressive. Fast, and as said, it blocks ads. I have been an avid user of Firefox, but given its liberal policies I'll make the switch to Brave!

Download: Join Brave and change the web together | Brave. Changing the world, one browser at a time.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

I may stick with Chrome for now. I like the fact that I can log into any chrome browser and it will carry over all of my setting, including bookmarks/favorites.
      Comment>

Good for him.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
          Good for him.
          Agreed :) T

And thanks William, I'll definitely check it out!
          Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
          Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
            SAN FRANCISCO, September 28, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) — The former CEO of Mozilla has released a new Internet browser called Brave.

Brendan Eich, the creator of JavaScript, continues to lead the technological revolution with Brave, an innovative concept in Internet browsers.

After blowing away the competition (read: Microsoft's Internet Explorer) with the Internet browser Firefox, Eich has come up with Brave, a nearly ad-free, lightning-fast browser that eliminates intrusive ads as well as common but unwanted tracking tack-ons.

A tech legend for his JavaScript and Firefox contributions, Eich was betrayed by his contemporaries and forced out of business as CEO of Mozilla, the company behind Firefox, because he supported natural marriage.

When it was revealed in 2014 that Eich donated $1,000 to California’s Proposition 8 ballot proposal, which defined marriage as the union of one man and one woman, he was blackballed, even though Proposition 8 was supported by the majority of Californians and easily passed in 2008.

Eich was publicly shamed because he believed in natural marriage and family. He was openly called a racist, Nazi, and inhumane.

But the tenacious techie didn't give up. Without apology, Eich continued to innovate and ultimately came up with a whole new concept in web browsers: the ad-free, tracking-free, fast internet browser Brave.

In November 2015, Eich raised $2.5 million to create an advanced super-technical team. By August 2016, the company had raised $4.5 million in seed money to launch the browser.

Brave is called an entirely new way to browse the web without being intrusively tracked, and without time-consuming download ads.

Internet users have increasingly been using ad blockers like AdBlock Plus to cut down on the ads that slow Internet browsers down. But even with ad blocker software, users still see a lot of ads because the blockers have special arrangements with major advertisers to let their ads through.

Even the ad industry has acknowledged it has "alienated" users with so many ads slowing down computers, causing users to wait an inordinate amount of time for basic searches and information.

The Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB), which represents 650 organizations serving nearly 86 percent of all Internet advertisements, has admitted defeat to the ad-blocking software onslaught.

“We messed up,” IAB Vice President Scott Cunningham wrote. “As technologists tasked with delivering content and services to users, we lost track of the user experience.”

Internet analyst Al Hilwa told Forbes that Brave “recognizes the key fact that browsing has become truly onerous and ever slower, even as devices have become faster.” He pointed out that the “complex web of ad downloads” is far greater and more time-consuming than the website content itself.

In contrast to the Internet status quo, Eich’s new Brave blocks everything. It doesn’t load any of the advertising software code and also blocks tracking from the start.

"On the desktop, Brave provides a 40 percent to 60 percent speed increase, and a 2x to 4x speed increase on mobile devices," Brave's Catherine Corre told LifeSiteNews.

"Therefore, mobile users also see a direct reduction in both battery and data plan consumption."

"Brave also protects users with leading privacy and security features such as encrypted data traffic, fingerprinting shields, phishing protection, malware filtering, and script blocking," Corre explained in an email.

Because of Eich’s history, Brave was opposed before it was officially launched. Major media websites took legal action to stop it, sending a cease and desist letter, claiming Brave was illegal because it blocked advertisements.

But Eich defended Brave, explaining that it does not replace the publisher's own ads. "We do not tamper with any first-party publisher content, including native ads that do not use third-party tracking."

"Brendan picked the name 'Brave' because we need users who will take a stand and fight back," Corre told LifeSiteNews. "We see third party ads and tracking as toxic, and we block that by default."

To compensate websites and advertisers, Brave inserts non-obtrusive, non-obnoxious ads that do not track users. Revenue from the ads helps pay websites, ad networks, and users.

Brave's address bar even has a timer displaying how quickly a webpage loads.

Who says the traditionalists can't win in today's politically correct world?

Source: Shunned for supporting natural marriage, former Mozilla CEO is back with new browser | News | LifeSite
            Hey William,
            I dug around the site and found the reccomended method of installing Brave on their sit and with an apt-get command I reinstalled, it works great in Ubuntu 16.04 now.
            Comment>

Originally posted by th1b.taylor View Post

Hey William,
              I dug around the site and found the reccomended method of installing Brave on their sit and with an apt-get command I reinstalled, it works great in Ubuntu 16.04 now.
              Glad to hear it brother. How's your experience with it? I love the ad blocking. I feel so stealthy roaming the internet!

God bless,
              William
              Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Glad to hear it brother. How's your experience with it? I love the ad blocking. I feel so stealthy roaming the internet!

God bless,
                William
                I especially like the ad blocking.
                Comment>

The browser just updated to latest, this browser is starting faster! My biggest complaint was the time it took after hitting the icon on my desktop until it loaded. The latest update seemingly quickened its start time.

God bless,
                  William
                  Comment>

Thank you for this link. I was looking for an alternative to Firefox, as the newer Firefox seem to be running slower and the older ones are not secure. Brave looks like exactly what I was looking for. If the adblocking is included, then that will save time on setting up adblocking plugins, and finding ones that work on that version of the browser.

My only concern is that there are sites where I allow ads. If the sites are known to be responsible, keep the ads light and don't download malware, I don't see any reason not to support them, because it encourages responsible advertising. Is there a way to whitelist certain sites to allow ads they show through?
                    Comment>

About "Brave" a few statements or questions for those who use it... or know about it..

A short while back i tried Firefox again.. it bogged down and was sorta goofy.
                      sadly i went back to nosy google
                      My computer capabilities are very limited.
                      Seems much computer talk is interchangeable which is totally confusing..
                      Techs talk to me like i should know what they are talking about .. i dont.. which makes me give up and settle for what i am familiar with
                      yes i can do some admin stuff but i work off screen shots which is not really learning..
                      so anyone think i can learn to deal with Brave... ?
                      I woud like to give the guy support for his stand..

Any change is scary to this old person
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap