Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

Transgenderism? New Study finds it’s ‘not supported by scientific evidence’

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transgenderism? New Study finds it’s ‘not supported by scientific evidence’

Despite claims in popular culture and media about sexuality and gender identity not being related, a new study has found there is no scientific evidence to support the beliefs.

A report published Monday in the journal The New Atlantis refuted transgender claims that people can have a gender identity that is the opposite of their assigned sex. The report was co-authored by Arizona State University professor of statistics and biostatistics Lawrence S. Mayer and Johns Hopkins University Medical School professor of psychiatry Paul McHugh.

“Examining research from the biological, psychological, and social sciences, this report shows that some of the most frequently heard claims about sexuality and gender are not supported by scientific evidence,” the report stated.

“The hypothesis that gender identity is an innate, fixed property of human beings that is independent of biological sex — that a person might be ‘a man trapped in a woman’s body’ or ‘a woman trapped in a man’s body’ — is not supported by scientific evidence,” the authors noted.

Addressing children specifically, the report stated that only a “minority of children who experience cross-gender identification will continue to do so into adolescence or adulthood.” Further, the authors noted there is no scientific evidence to support the value of “interventions that delay puberty or modify the secondary sex characteristics of adolescents,” and said they were “alarmed” by some of the interventions being practiced.

The report stated:
    “An area of particular concern involves medical interventions for gender-nonconforming youth. They are increasingly receiving therapies that affirm their felt genders, and even hormone treatments or surgical modifications at young ages.

“But the majority of children who identify as a gender that does not conform to their biological sex will no longer do so by the time they reach adulthood. We are disturbed and alarmed by the severity and irreversibility of some interventions being publicly discussed and employed for children.”
    The authors noted that “nearly all children ultimately identify with their biological sex.”

“The notion that a two-year-old, having expressed thoughts or behaviors identified with the opposite sex, can be labeled for life as transgender has absolutely no support in science,” they added.

Contrary to popular opinion, the authors also found that “the idea that people are ‘born that way’—is not supported by scientific evidence.”

“While minor differences in the brain structures and brain activity between homosexual and heterosexual individuals have been identified by researchers, such neurobiological findings do not demonstrate whether these differences are innate or are the result of environmental and psychological factors,” the report stated.

Mayer dedicated the work on the report “to the LGBT community, which bears a disproportionate rate of mental health problems compared the population as a whole.” He added, “We must find ways to relieve their suffering.”

“Above all,” Mayer noted, “I dedicate it to children struggling with their sexuality and gender.”

Source: Transgenderism? New Study finds it’s ‘not supported by scientific evidence’ | Conservative News Today

Some of the damage that mankind has incurred as a result of the Fall can be seen "under the microscope", and some can't.

Some people seem to have a predisposition to gender confusion. We are all born with the corruption of Adam in our DNA, but for Christians, we don't excuse sin simply because we are predisposed to it. For example, a married Christian man can't get away with saying that he had overwhelming sexual desire for his secretary, so he should sleep with her.

I am certain that some people honestly feel as if they are the opposite sex, because many of them don't want to feel that way, but many people also don't want to" feel" they "need" to eat a whole box of cookies, or hit the bottle of vodka. . .
    Last edited by thatbrian; 08-25-2016, 02:13 PM.
    Comment>

Funny I was about to post about this very new article. But I found it was already here. :)

It is an interesting paper. I read most of it on the journal that published said. I can't say I'm surprised as I never really bought the "born that way" line. The science was sketchy at best and loaded with plenty of propaganda. And, candidly, an explanation of a combination of environmental and psychological facts makes a lot more sense, considering all the factors.

Beyond that, thatbrian, makes a good point. Just because someone is more presupposed toward a sinful or destructive behavior doesn't make it right. There is evidence that some folks have genes that makes them more likely to become alcoholics, but that doesn't make it right to be an unrepentant drunk. It just means such a person should avoid starting that habit. And, of course, embrace our Savior.
      Comment>

Well I am glad to see studies like this, but the problem is is that these days you can really find a study out there for anything that you want to believe. Just being around academia for a little bit really exposes you to that, and there is always bias whenever researchers go about their methods, and they often find what they want to find, to a certain degree. That said, it is just a matter of which studies you choose to follow and accept, which is a little unfortunate to think about. Interesting, though, and thanks for sharing.
        Comment>

It's horrifying how many children and teens on Tumblr talk about getting their sex corrected to match their gender. I feel really bad for the parents because they are the toughest place. Their kids are depressed and begging to get hormones and therapy to get their sex correct even though the hormones lead to a higher risk in cancer and other disease. If they say no, even for reasonable reason like health or money, they risk the kid committing suicide. There are posts on Tumblr of dead trans-kids who killed themselves because their parents would pay for them to transition and they were afraid they wouldn't 'pass' if they waited. The whole community is morbid. I wish it was illegal to transition because it's just mutilation of a mentally ill person for cash. These people who are confused need to use that money and get therapy not surgery.
          Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
            It's horrifying how many children and teens on Tumblr talk about getting their sex corrected to match their gender. I feel really bad for the parents because they are the toughest place. Their kids are depressed and begging to get hormones and therapy to get their sex correct even though the hormones lead to a higher risk in cancer and other disease. If they say no, even for reasonable reason like health or money, they risk the kid committing suicide. There are posts on Tumblr of dead trans-kids who killed themselves because their parents would pay for them to transition and they were afraid they wouldn't 'pass' if they waited. The whole community is morbid. I wish it was illegal to transition because it's just mutilation of a mentally ill person for cash. These people who are confused need to use that money and get therapy not surgery.
            Hi LoF, the speed by which this has all been ushered to the forefront of our society recently leaves little to the imagination (IMHO anyway) about 'who' is truly behind this mess. The "prince of the power of the air" (Ephesians 2:2 / cf John 12:31) has the minds and hearts of those in this world, those who are his, in a vice grip, and it is a sad and frightening thing to see :(

Yours in Christ,
            David
            Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
            Comment>

I wonder if there will be follow up studies to examine the causes of homosexuality and transgenderism. The study does allude to the need for further study with respect to child sexual abuse and the topic. There seems to be a lot of resistance in the contemporary scientific field to do so, but it could be of a real benefit, both from a scholarly standpoint and for helping people. I guess time will tell.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Nahum View Post
                I wonder if there will be follow up studies to examine the causes of homosexuality and transgenderism.
                Hi Nahum, such studies will ever cease until they can prove, at least somewhat plausibly, that LGBT's were all, "born that way/created that way by God". The quest for the "holy grail", the "gay gene", will never stop.

Yours and His,
                David

Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap