Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

Franklin Graham: We Should Not Mock Islam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin Graham: We Should Not Mock Islam

Evangelical leader Franklin Graham has responded to the recent events in Texas that left a security officer injured.

As previously reported, armed attackers recently fired shots at an art show that displayed pictures of the Prophet Muhammad. The two attackers were killed by police.

Graham said that while the artists that created the pictures had the right to display them, it is courteous to avoid offending others through mocking their religions, according to Charisma News.

"The organizers of the cartoon contest in Garland, Texas, had the constitutional right to do what they did—but just because we have the 'right' to do something doesn't make it right! As a Christian I'm offended when people mock my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ," Graham said.

"Muslims are offended when people mock their faith. I disagree with Islam. But just because I disagree, I'm not going to mock them or resort to violence. We need to show respect to people of other races and beliefs. What happened to civility and respect?"

Graham’s words expressed a different side than in previous statements when he suggested that Muslims were following the wrong religion and would be welcome to join Christianity.

The Draw Muhammad contest in Texas is sponsored by the hate-group, if any group deserves to be called a hate-group, that calls itself American Freedom Defense Initiative. In spite of its name, this group is not about defending American freedom. It's about hating Muslims in the name of Israel. Another current example of their current activities is putting up billboards in NY that read, 'Killing Jews is worship that draws us close to Allah."

Charlie Hebdo, in France, is also a hate group, but their hate isn't just aimed at Muslims, but is also aimed at Christians.

In the Bible, Jesus and the Apostles never addressed paganism in a hateful or mocking manner. Maybe it's invalid for me to point that out as these anti-Islam hate groups are not motivated by promoting Christianity, but in promoting Atheism or Israel (both of which are openly anti-Christian),.
    Comment>

The OT is loaded with commands from God to Israel to destroy the people and their false idols of worship. In the NT, Read Matthew 23 where Jesus rails against the false scribes and pharisees in Judaism. He whipped the money-changers who were doing business in the temple. This country allows freedom of expression, but is clamping down on Christian expression. What's happening to the Ten Commandments? At Christmas with Nativity scenes? You can pray to Muhammad and Allah in public school, but not Jesus Christ. The leaders of our country are kid-gloving Muslims because they fear the Muslims because they are known for terrorism. Now, when we are against someone, we are called "hate groups", which is stupid nonsense. I disagree with being violent toward those I disagree with, but not toward preaching the Gospel to them. We as Christians know they are on the wide road to perdition, and are told to warn them to switch roads. We do hate them if we let them go to hell without even so much as a warning.

We should not mock Islam, but to lead them to the truth. If they get offended, tough. Jesus offended many by His preaching. He was killed for it. Offense be damned! I'm fed up with people who are offended because they are empty-headed clowns. We cannot go through life trying to preach right from wrong without offending people. They will be offended. That's tough. We should ask ourselves what Jesus asked those who were offended, "Why does this offend you?" Why is just Christianity found to be so offensive? That was a rhetorical question.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
        The OT is loaded with commands from God to Israel to destroy the people and their false idols of worship.

In the OT, God leads Israel to war to punish immorality of other nations. Only Israel itself is punished for paganism.

You say the leaders of our country are kid-gloving Muslims. Maybe. But Muslims aren’t responsible for our loss of freedoms, for what is happening to the Ten Commandments or Christmas with nativity scenes. They’re not responsible for fining Christians for refusing to take part in SSM rites. They’re not the ones teaching Atheism to our school children. They’re not the ones who jacked up taxes on people for being married. They’re not the ones who portray promiscuity as normal on TV.

In Iraq, Muslims are oppressing Christians. But, I think the only result that would come from hateful mocking of Muslims in Iraq is increased persecution of Christians. If mocking Islam isn't banned in the US, it's because Muslims have no political power in the US. And, if Muslims have no political power in the US, then it's mockery of us all for this group to mock Islam ostensibly to protect our freedom.

Comment>

I didn't say the Muslims are responsible for our loss of freedoms, but that our own country is doing it: "This country allows freedom of expression, but is clamping down on Christian expression. What's happening to the Ten Commandments? At Christmas with Nativity scenes? You can pray to Muhammad and Allah in public school, but not Jesus Christ."

Those other things on your list I didn't accuse them of either. In many counties, not just Muslim but in large number Muslim are persecuting Christians. Check out the Voice of the Martyrs (VOM) for details. As for mocking, there is very little of that because it would seem people are too afraid to mock them. It is the Christians who are being mocked by almost all other people, Muslim or not. You can' t start telling people what to ban and what not to. That is a very slippery slope.

They have no political power is a totally uninformed comment, considering I heard the President say he is Muslim. How do you know so much about how much power they have? Non-Muslims can be heavily influenced by Muslims to see things their way. No one should be mocking anyone. You brought it up, not me. Why is our military whose Commander-in-Chief is Muslim fighting Muslims overseas? Because he is fighting terrorists. As in any war, innocent people die too. I don't go blaming everything on them, as your attitude toward me seems to portray.

The money aspect of homosexuals and taxes, I concede because I am no tax expert. Why are Christians being targeted for being anti-homosexual, when most major religions are anti-homosexual, including Islam, and rightfully so. The difference between other religions and Christian is that we are to preach the Gospel to all people, whereas other religions may kill them for not converting. It would be good to soften your approach toward me just a bit, since we do agree on some things; but, nobody agrees with anybody on everything.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
            I didn't say the Muslims are responsible for our loss of freedoms, but that our own country is doing it: "This country allows freedom of expression, but is clamping down on Christian expression.
            You concede that Muslims aren't responsible for the oppression of Christian expression, so why do you act like they're such a danger? Those who are taking away our freedom, you let them off by blaming our loss of freedom on "our own country." I submit to you that we are losing our freedom because Christians are obsessing with people who have no power to take away our freedom and because of that misdirected obsession, our enemies with the power to take away our freedom go practically unchallenged. President G. W. Bush was a Judas Goat who lead us into Iraq. Our leaders and GOP presidential candidates who want more military spending or more war are Judas Goats.

They have no political power is a totally uninformed comment, considering I heard the President say he is Muslim.
            Obama denies being a Muslim. I see no evidence that he's secretly a Muslim. Failure to warmonger doesn't make him a Muslim. Refusing to condemn Islam doesn't make him any more a Muslim than G. W. Bush is made a Muslim by saying Islam is the religion of peace. Even if Obama were a closet Muslim, he's so coy about it as to make it insignificant. Our Congress and our higher courts are still practically Muslim-free. And, our next President, Hillary Clinton, won't be accused of being a closet Muslim.

You only heard Obama misspeak. You might think it was a freudian slip, a kind of misstatement where someone lets slip a concealed truth. But, it appears to be just a dropped word: "John McCain has not talked about my [alleged] Muslim faith... Well, what I’m saying... is that he hasn’t suggested that I’m a Muslim."

Your concern about Muslims is like being concerned about a kitchen fire on the Titanic as it's sinking. You would do get to forget about Muslims. Western Christians would do good for both themselves and for Christian in the middle-east if they forget about the whole middle-east until they can muster some sanity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rick-warren-elton-john-holding-hands-joke-about-kissing-each-other.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	2131
            Pastor Rick Warren gleefully holding hands with sodomite Elton John, and joking about kissing John. In recent years, Rick Warren has made it his mission to promote sodomite-friendly laws. How many "conservatives" bought Warren's book, the Purpose Driven Life? Beware of Judas Goats. The Purpose Driven Life is an effeminate and dishonest book, yet mainstream Christians didn't notice.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
              The Purpose Driven Life is an effeminate and dishonest book, yet mainstream Christians didn't notice.
              Can you show specific quotes from the book to back up this claim? I have read the book and I didn't notice anything wrong but I didn't read it carefully so I could easily have overlooked a lot of things in it.
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap