Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

The Pope Is Being Accused of Leaving Behind 2 Syrian Refugees Because They’re Christians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pope Is Being Accused of Leaving Behind 2 Syrian Refugees Because They’re Christians

Click image for larger version

Name:	GettyImages-521564792.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	14373

Two Syrian Christians came forward with a story this week, alleging the Vatican turned them away in favor of Syrian Muslims. A Christian brother and his sister, Roula and Malek Abo from Syria, said they were picked originally as the “chosen 12” to go back to the Vatican with Pope Francis on his visit to Lesbos, according to a Daily Mail report.

However, the next day, they were apparently told that they would not be leaving with the Pope, and instead three Muslim families were chosen to fly back to Rome with the Holy Father. The Abo’s say they are now stuck in Lesbos, telling RadarOnline “If they can do this for 12 people they can do it for more. If you have promised to take people back to Italy will something like registration papers stand in your way?”

The charity Community Sant’Egidio and the Vatican would not explain how the migrants were chosen to go back to Italy with Pope Francis.

A spokesman with the charity said the incident was “regrettable,” saying “The problem here is the three Syrians arrived after the March 20 deadline. They arrived just after the agreement between the European Union and Turkey.”

The spokesperson said everyone was chosen by the Vatican, saying “The question why the Pope took only Muslims is difficult to understand and he was suffering, I think, because he wanted to do something also for Christians as the chief of the Catholic Church. But he couldn’t because there is this international agreement [with the EU].”

The Vatican has declined to comment on the matter.

Read More: IJreview

Were the Christians Catholic? If they were then I'm sure the Pope wouldn't have left them behind. Anyway as the Pope in the past has in the past referred to Muslims as "brothers" and "sisters" of Christians this was his moment to prove that he meant what he said, leave the Christians behind he had to.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Smithee View Post
      Were the Christians Catholic? If they were then I'm sure the Pope wouldn't have left them behind. Anyway as the Pope in the past has in the past referred to Muslims as "brothers" and "sisters" of Christians this was his moment to prove that he meant what he said, leave the Christians behind he had to.
      Completely political if you ask me.
      Comment>

It's a shame that they should be playing such games. There's no need to please everyone. "Weapons of love," as Pope Francis calls them aren't going to make Muslims love Christians. because Islam is the enemy of Christianity. The Pople knows that.
        Comment>

According to the Catholic Herald the paperwork was not ready in time.

As the paperwork had to come from the Greek and Italian governments perhaps the big story should have been that any paperwork arrived in time. :D
          Comment>

Yeah, I do not think it had to do with the fact they were Christians, but there were other issues at play, probably with paperwork. There also has been no collaboration about this story except by the two people who say they were picked. I am skeptical, it sounds to me like they just were not chosen.
            Comment>

I'm also inclined to think that the pope taking refugees back to Italy was just a media stunt to be honest, and just a way to get in the papers.

I'm not saying that as a bad thing, the Catholic church needs some exposure and the refugee crisis is the hot topic at the moment so what better way to get people talking, than for the pope himself to come to the rescue of a number of families?

It does seem to have backfired a little though if what this family says, turns out to be true.
              Comment>

It is an interesting way how the Pope deals with the while migration or musilm question.
                But sometimes I feel like that he says completely different things from each other.
                Comment>

Originally posted by petesede View Post
                  Yeah, I do not think it had to do with the fact they were Christians, but there were other issues at play, probably with paperwork. There also has been no collaboration about this story except by the two people who say they were picked. I am skeptical, it sounds to me like they just were not chosen.
                  12 slots filled by 12 Muslims during a Christian genocide.Ya'd think that if helping Christians escape the genocide was an issue, that the Pope would of waited upon the paper work or expedited it. They must of not of been able to meet the dead line though. Photoshoot at 7pm etc.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

12 slots filled by 12 Muslims during a Christian genocide.Ya'd think that if helping Christians escape the genocide was an issue, that the Pope would of waited upon the paper work or expedited it. They must of not of been able to meet the dead line though. Photoshoot at 7pm etc.
                    well to be fair, this doesn´t seem like a real news story, nothing has been verified nor has there been any mention of it anywhere except that one article. Also that is a bit misleading, these refugees were already out of Syria and while there is religious stuff going on in Syria, it is mainly muslims killing muslims. Again, seems like a fake story planted by people who are anti catholic church. Reminds me of Trump saying Cruz´s father was in on the JFK killing because a tabloid once printed it.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by petesede View Post

well to be fair, this doesn´t seem like a real news story, nothing has been verified nor has there been any mention of it anywhere except that one article. Also that is a bit misleading, these refugees were already out of Syria and while there is religious stuff going on in Syria, it is mainly muslims killing muslims. Again, seems like a fake story planted by people who are anti catholic church. Reminds me of Trump saying Cruz´s father was in on the JFK killing because a tabloid once printed it.
                      Not including Iraq, Syria, or even North Korea, there were over 7000 Christians martyred last year. Both the EU and the U.S. had declared a genocide on Christians. Personally, I will not give to charity for refugees as long as they do not discern Christians from Muslims. I am not going to fund the promotion of an ideology that leads to terrorism. On one hand we have Muslims preaching the word according to Muhammad, and on the other we have Muslims actually DOING what they are preaching.
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap