Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

Man berates Chick-Fil-A worker, now many believe he’s getting what he deserves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man berates Chick-Fil-A worker, now many believe he’s getting what he deserves

There’s a biblical concept called “you reap what you sow,” which means that if you act like a jerk, it’s going to come around and bite you in the backside.

A former Vante CFO learned this lesson the hard way when he decided to flap his gums and verbally bully a Chick-Fil-A worker because of the company’s stance on gay marriage.

The man, Adam Smith, posted a video of the incident on YouTube, thinking he would be celebrated as some sort of gay rights defender or something, but it back fired on him. Big time.

From IJReview:

In a YouTube video, Smith berated Chick-fil-A employee Rachel Elizabeth at the drive-thru window when she gave him, a protester, a free cup of water:

Smith: “You know why I’m getting my free water, right?”

Elizabeth: “No.”

Smith: “Because Chick-Fil-A is a hateful corporation.”

Elizabeth: “I disagree. We don’t treat any of our customers differently..”

Smith: “I know, but the corporation gives money to hate groups. Hate groups. Just because people want to kiss another guy.”

Elizabeth: “I’m staying neutral on this subject… my personal beliefs don’t belong in the workplace.”

Smith: “Yeah I believe that too, I don’t believe corporations should be giving money to hateful groups.. I’ll take my water”

Elizabeth: “I’m really uncomfortable that you’re videotaping this..It’s my pleasure to serve you, always.”

Smith: “Oh, of course, I’m glad that I can take a little bit of money from Chick-Fil-A, and maybe less money to hate groups.”

Elizabeth: “Well, we’re always happy to serve all our guests.”
    After a few days, Smith took down the original video and attempted to apologize for his behavior, but it was too late. His fate had been sealed.

When Smith arrived at work one day, his receptionist said their voicemail box was full of bomb threats. Not long afterward, he was fired from his job, where he made a salary of $200,000 a year and had $1 million in stock options.

All of that was now gone and he–along with his family–were forced to move into an RV.

Smith was able to land another gig as a CFO, but once his boss found out he was the jerk from the video, he was tossed out on the street for a second time.

Now Smith and his family are on food stamps, and are still suffering for his poor choices. He’s also in the process of writing a book called, A Million Dollar Cup of Water: Discovering the Wealth in Authenticity.

As for the employee he razzed, she demonstrated true class by accepting Smith’s apology.

I hate to see anyone go through a hard time and lose everything, but this guy clearly had it coming to him.

It’s okay to hold a differing view or opinion and to express your beliefs openly, but to give this employee a hard time–a person who has nothing to do with the corporation’s stance on social or political issues- was classless and distasteful.

Words are powerful. They can create life or they can destroy it–a lesson Smith now knows all too well–which is why it’s important to weigh out our words before we speak and say something we could regret or that could come with hefty consequences.

This isn’t to say limits should be placed on freedom of speech–especially not from the government–but that doesn’t mean reckless words should be tossed about willy-nilly.

You can say what you want, express yourself freely, but you also must take responsibility for what is said too.

That was obviously something Smith wasn’t prepared to do, and his arrogance and foolhardiness cost him more than he imagined.

And every bit of it is deserved.
Working...
X
Articles - News - SiteMap