Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

Max Lucado’s assessment of Donald Trump

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Max Lucado’s assessment of Donald Trump

    Best-selling Christian author Max Lucado believes Donald Trump speaks with a forked tongue when he calls himself a Christian one day and launches jaw-dropping personal attacks on people the next.

    “It would be none of my business, I would have absolutely no right to speak up except that he repeatedly brandishes the Bible and calls himself a Christian,” the San Antonio pastor said in an interview with Christianity Today magazine.

    “If he’s going to call himself a Christian one day and call someone a bimbo the next or make fun of somebody’s menstrual cycle, it’s just beyond reason to me.”

    Lucado — the author of nearly 100 Christian books which have sold 80 million copies — said he had never opposed a presidential candidate before the billionaire developer entered the political arena.

    “There was a time in Iowa when he said ‘I’m a Christian,’ and somebody asked about forgiveness and he said ‘I’ve never asked God for forgiveness.’ I can’t imagine that. I’m just shaking my head going ‘How does that work?'” Lucado said.

    “Does a swimmer say ‘I’ve never gotten wet?’ Does a musician say ‘I’ve never sung a song?’ How does a person claim to be a Christian and never need to ask for forgiveness?”

    Trump has made headlines with the shoot-from-the-lip missiles he’s fired at opponents, recently ripping Sen. Ted Cruz as a “totally unstable individual” and the “single biggest liar I’ve ever come across.”

  • #2
    Like most - if not all - presidential hopefuls, Donald Trump is a nominal Christian, period. Most people don't know the difference between a nominal Christian and a real one. I would have expected Max Lucado to have known the difference...!


    PermaFrost
    Comment>

    • #3
      Originally posted by PermaFrost View Post
      Like most - if not all - presidential hopefuls, Donald Trump is a nominal Christian, period. Most people don't know the difference between a nominal Christian and a real one. I would have expected Max Lucado to have known the difference...!

      PermaFrost
      Helloooo PermaFrost,

      Are you using the same logic as others are? That is, lets vote for the lesser of two evils, or who would be better Hillary or Trump when the GOP candidate isn't even decided yet? Why use nominal Christian and not lukewarm Christian? Why not false professing Christian or even Cultural Christian?

      Max Lucado asks, “Does a swimmer say ‘I’ve never gotten wet?’ Does a musician say ‘I’ve never sung a song?’ How does a person claim to be a Christian and never need to ask for forgiveness?”

      Name one Christian that never asks for forgiveness? Is your answer Donald Trump?

      Donald Trump is not a Christian, but Christians are to elect God fearing men Exodus 18:21.

      God bless,
      William
      Comment>

      • #4
        Max Lucado is a hypocrite for singling out Trump. Everyone running in both parties (except Communist Bernie Sanders) claims to be a Christian. Trump might claim more than some of the others to be a Christian, but so what? Some of the others have far darker hearts than Trump. Hitlary has a militant desire to have government promote abortion and sodomy. But, I guess she hasn't called anyone a "bimbo", even though she has implied housewives are bimbos.

        The only thing Trump is guilty of that the others aren't is his rhetorical style. And, no one thinks Trump is anything but a nominal Christian, so he won't be dragging Christianity through the mud.
        Comment>

        • #5
          Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
          Max Lucado is a hypocrite for singling out Trump.
          I believe Trump is being singled out because the GOP usually holds dear the Christian vote. I think a shift occurred last year during the general election that resulted in a GOP landslide. Some democrats and independents began shifting sides leaning right, and we received a large amount of RINOs. I imagine it is no different than the Catholic Church appealing to Pagans that refused or had not yet transitioned fully to Christianity while still holding to former beliefs. It is a matter of preserving the purity of the faith or in this case the GOP platform.

          God bless,
          William
          Comment>

          • #6
            Originally posted by William View Post
            Why use nominal Christian and not lukewarm Christian? Why not false professing Christian or even Cultural Christian?
            Nominal-, professing- and cultural-Christians are one and the same. If they die today, they go to hell; to the same place as Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Wiccans, atheists and every other person not born of the Spirit. Calling yourself a Christian doesn't mean that you are one. Religion never saved anyone. Actually, religion has always been a great force for damnation.

            Originally posted by William View Post
            Max Lucado asks, “Does a swimmer say ‘I’ve never gotten wet?’ Does a musician say ‘I’ve never sung a song?’ How does a person claim to be a Christian and never need to ask for forgiveness?”
            If that's what Max Lucado says, then he doesn't understand the concept of nominal Christianity. His analogies are nonsense, anyway. Are KKK members Christian just because they say so? C'mon!

            Originally posted by William View Post
            Name one Christian that never asks for forgiveness? Is your answer Donald Trump?
            Trump is a nominal Christian, obviously. People who put their faith in religion (any religion) may or may not ask for forgiveness. God doesn't listen to the prayers of unbeleivers anyway. So, even if Trump asks for forgiveness for one of his sins, his prayer will not rise higher than his cigar's smoke.

            Originally posted by William View Post
            Donald Trump is not a Christian, but Christians are to elect God fearing men Exodus 18:21.
            If such men exist, by all means vote for them. In the current crop of presidential hopefuls, I don't see any one as a born-of-the-Spirit Christian. Every one strikes me as a nominal Christian with varying degrees of «religiosity». In the New Testament, Christians are asked to pray for their leaders so that they may be saved, 1 Timothy 2:1-4. Leaders are God-appointed to carry out His will, Romans 13:1-7, Titus 3:1 and 1 Peter 2:13-16. That includes President Obama...sometimes a country needs to be punished...!


            PermaFrost





            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by PermaFrost View Post
              If that's what Max Lucado says, then he doesn't understand the concept of nominal Christianity. His analogies are nonsense, anyway. Are KKK members Christian just because they say so? C'mon!
              You didn't answer the question but avoided it. You seemly grasped at other hypocrites and try to normalize a candidate based on whether they're within those normal boundaries.

              Originally posted by PermaFrost View Post
              If such men exist, by all means vote for them. In the current crop of presidential hopefuls, I don't see any one as a born-of-the-Spirit Christian. Every one strikes me as a nominal Christian with varying degrees of «religiosity». In the New Testament, Christians are asked to pray for their leaders so that they may be saved, 1 Timothy 2:1-4. Leaders are God-appointed to carry out His will, Romans 13:1-7, Titus 3:1 and 1 Peter 2:13-16. That includes President Obama...sometimes a country needs to be punished...!
              Seems we didn't read the same OP. You're going off on Nominal Christians and other things while the OP was solely to do with whether Donald Trump is a genuine Christian. As for praying for Obama and other leaders elected into office by the men and women following your logic (a country under leadership needs to be punished), Psalm 109:8 would be a good place to start.

              People like Obama and Trump are elected into office because they represent certain predominant unbelievers, and lukewarm Christians out there. They have to appeal to some demographic. I often refer to the left as the party of natural or the unregenerate man. "Christians on the left" is oxymoronic, and I will play on the leftist Christian's alignment to secular beliefs as a guilty by association party.

              I am thankful we belong to a Republic and not a democracy. I am glad there is a Constitution which is not persuaded by the majority vote, but protects the rights of its citizens, and namely the "freedom of religion" when it is popular to vote against it or say, I like cheese but hate milk (I am Christian but not religious).

              God bless,
              William
              Comment>

              • #8
                Originally posted by William View Post
                Seems we didn't read the same OP. You're going off on Nominal Christians and other things while the OP was solely to do with whether Donald Trump is a genuine Christian.
                We read the same OP. Nominal Christians don't know they're nominal and would reject the term. Nominal Christians consider themselves Christian because they were born into it, or walked an aisle, or received First Communion or whatever. Such is the nature of religion: it damns those who trust in it rather than in God. Lucado's time would have been better spent writing another book rather than singling out Trump from the other nominal Christians running for the GOP nomination.

                Originally posted by William View Post
                As for praying for Obama and other leaders elected into office by the men and women following your logic, Psalm 109:8 would be a good place to start.
                You may pray for their early retirement from office but God is sovereign. In any event, we must also respect the one who holds office.

                Originally posted by William View Post
                People like Obama and Trump are elected into office because they represent lukewarm Christians out there. They have to appeal to some demographic.
                Lukewarm Christians are nominal Christians...haven't we already established that?! Most electors in the U.S. don't even bother to vote (LOL) so I'm not sure your statement is accurate. Trump - and Obama before him - represents the desire for change, for a different kind of politician. Trump also represents Hope, like Obama before him. Obama failed, and so will Trump...or anyone else for that matter.

                Originally posted by William View Post
                You didn't answer the question but avoided it. You seemly grasped at other hypocrites and try to normalize a candidate based on whether they're within those normal boundaries.
                I answered your question head on. A swimmer necessarily gets wet, a musician necessarily sings, a religionist necessarily says culturally-acceptable things about faith. It would be political suicide for these men to say, «I think Jesus was a great guy but I don't have time to bother with Him»...but that is likely the truth. Like it or not, the present presidential hopefuls are not Christians. Not one. The last Christian President was George W.; he lived his faith, loved Jesus and was the real thing.

                Originally posted by William View Post
                Personally, I am thankful we belong to a Republic and not a democracy. I am glad there is a Constitution which is not persuaded by the majority vote, but protects the rights of its citizens, and namely the "freedom of religion" when it is popular to vote against it.
                Yeah... but hat's neither here nor there...it's another topic altogether. And Republics are democracies because their rulers are elected by majority vote...providing the electorate vote, of course...


                PermaFrost






                Comment>

                • #9
                  Originally posted by PermaFrost View Post
                  Such is the nature of religion: it damns those who trust in it rather than in God.
                  I think you hate man's misrepresentation of God through religion such as the Pharisees in Scripture. I personally believe Christianity to be a religion, to suggest I am a Christian but hate religion is nothing more than proclaiming I like cheese but hate milk.

                  Originally posted by PermaFrost View Post
                  You may pray for their early retirement from office but God is sovereign. In any event, we must also respect the one who holds office.
                  I suggest you read the entire content of Psalm 109:8. It just isn't his early retirement I pray for. I pray that others do not follow in his footsteps or his promote his ideology as some form of legacy.

                  Though I consider carefully the words of Paul and remember who was in office at that time, and who took his life, there's nothing I respect about Obama nor the people he represents politically.

                  God bless,
                  William

                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Originally posted by William View Post
                    People like Obama and Trump are elected into office because they represent certain predominant unbelievers, and lukewarm Christians out there. They have to appeal to some demographic. I often refer to the left as the party of natural or the unregenerate man. "Christians on the left" is oxymoronic, and I will play on the leftist Christian's alignment to secular beliefs as a guilty by association party.
                    That's all very true. Trump isn't a Christian, and neither is anyone on the Left.

                    Originally posted by William View Post
                    I believe Trump is being singled out because the GOP usually holds dear the Christian vote.
                    Does trump have the Christian vote? I think he has a lot of the anti-illegal immigration vote. But, I don't see anyone saying "I'm voting for Trump because he's the Christian of the pack." Most of the other Republican candidates are more credibly Christian, even to someone not paying a lot of attention.

                    Trump's lies about reading the Bible, etc., may be lies, but at least they're not insults of our faith or threats against our freedom. I don't think he's driving away Christians, but who could really be voting for him because he says he's a Christian? Compare to Democrats, where just about every plank on the Democrat platform is a threat against our freedom (e.g. socialized medicine is a loss of economic freedom, a loss of our freedom to choose our own treatments, and a loss of our freedom to not pay for abortion and sex-changes.)

                    Although, I really think Trump's celebrity is his biggest draw. A big chunk of voters always goes for the names they see the most on TV, and Trump gets a lot of TV coverage. Ask the average registered voter to name half of the dozen declared GOP candidates, I doubt they could do it. You can't support someone you don't know. And, even knowing some names doesn't mean much to most people.



                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
                      But, I don't see anyone saying "I'm voting for Trump because he's the Christian of the pack." Most of the other Republican candidates are more credibly Christian, even to someone not paying a lot of attention.
                      You'd be surprised how many professing Christians I come across day to day on Facebook promoting Trump.

                      Haven't much to add to your post really, which in large I agree.

                      Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
                      Although, I really think Trump's celebrity is his biggest draw. A big chunk of voters always goes for the names they see the most on TV, and Trump gets a lot of TV coverage. Ask the average registered voter to name half of the dozen declared GOP candidates, I doubt they could do it. You can't support someone you don't know. And, even knowing some names doesn't mean much to most people.
                      It's Bill Clinton playing on the Saxophone between MTV videos all over again. A certain demographic is being appealed to from the left to the right. Question is, like Mitt Romney, how many Christians will refuse to vote for Trump should it come down to only him? I think this is why Ted Cruz has a better polling number if it should come down to defeating Hillary. Cruz's margin of victory over Hillary is 3-4 points better than Trump's.

                      God bless,
                      William
                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        Originally posted by William View Post



                        I think you hate man's misrepresentation of God through religion such as the Pharisees in Scripture. I personally believe Christianity to be a religion, to suggest I am a Christian but hate religion is nothing more than proclaiming I like cheese but hate milk.
                        I never said that I hated religion. All I said was that a religion damns those who trust in it. Nominal Christians trust in their religious mumbo jumbo. Born-again Christians trust in God's promises.

                        A religion is a formalized or institutionalized system of worship. The only religion established and approved by God is ancient Judaism. That religion no longer exists, and was rendered irrelevent after the Cross anyway. Christianity, as such, isn't a religion; it is a faith. It is possible to be a Christian without being part of a religion. Now, there are religions within Christianity; most people call these denominations. All these denominations are human creations. These religions (irrespective of the denomination) are worthwhile for genuine believers in their walk with God. By the same token, these religions damn the nominal Christian by offering them a false sense of salvation.

                        I'll use your milk & cheese analogy to explain further: If genuine faith in God is Milk, cheese would be a denomination. A Born-of-the-Spirit Christian will love Milk and may (or may not) enjoy cheese. A nominal Christian will like cheese but will not care for Milk. And we see evidence of this in «Christians» who do not believe in the inerrancy of Scripture, «Christians» who do not believe in the deity of Jesus, «Christians» who think other faiths are valid ways to God.

                        Originally posted by William View Post
                        ...there's nothing I respect about Obama nor the people he represents politically.
                        I'm no fan of Obama either. He hardened ralations with Israel. He backed the Muslim Brotherhood government in Egypt. His Cairo speech pandered to America's enemies. Then there's Benghazi...trying to close Guantanamo...the Iran nuclear deal... I don't like the Pope either, but if President Obama or Pope Francis showed up on my doorstep, I would shake the man's hand and welcome him into my home. The high office both hold would be the source of my respect. I'm sure you'd do the same.


                        PermaFrost





                        Comment>

                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PermaFrost View Post
                          I don't like the Pope either, but if President Obama or Pope Francis showed up on my doorstep, I would shake the man's hand and welcome him into my home.
                          They wouldn't be able to get off my door step fast enough 2 John 1.

                          God bless,
                          William
                          Comment>

                          • #14
                            Originally posted by William View Post
                            They wouldn't be able to get off my door step fast enough 2 John 1.
                            I don't see what 2 John 1 has to do with the President and the Pope showing up at your front door :confused:

                            I think I'll send Trump to your place and Sanders to Cornelius' house.

                            That should be fun!


                            PermaFrost
                            Comment>

                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PermaFrost View Post

                              I don't see what 2 John 1 has to do with the President and the Pope showing up at your front door :confused:

                              I think I'll send Trump to your place and Sanders to Cornelius' house.

                              That should be fun!


                              PermaFrost
                              The current POTUS promotes Islam, a religion that rejects the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus Christ as well as Jesus being the Son of God. Not to mention Obama is the most hostile POTUS towards the Christian religion in U.S. history, he clearly opposes the Christian faith. As for the Pope, ya mind as well show your hospitality and bid God speed to the Anti-Christ himself. So you respect the papistry?

                              For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8 Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we[a] have worked for, but may win a full reward. 9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, 11 for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.
                              God bless,
                              William
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap