Talk about your favorite sports, hobbies, or activities.

Are Sports replacing worship?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Sports replacing worship?

I feel like there's a broad path that the modern Christian is following which though not outrageous is the wrong one.
    I remember growing up, attending church on sunday was a culture followed religiously.
    Nowadays, the tides have changed, people all busy following the latest football game.
    You find one can't memorize a verse but has the entire league table on his finger tips.
    Even in church, people are talking football after service.
    What's happening people?

This is a sign that we are in the last days.

But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. (2 Timothy 3:1-5)
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Sports (for many) has become worship.

Many look on in surprise or curiosity at some Hindus as they paint themselves up and parade around with their idols. But isn't it basically the same thing when people paint themselves up in the colors of their favorite sports team, sing songs or chant and wave certain flags and go hysterical when their team wins or cry like there's no tomorrow when they lose?

I will say that physical activity does have some value (1 Timothy 4:8) but don't allow it (or anything else) to take away the joy of fellowship with God.
      Comment>

I think there is a healthy way to spectate and enjoy competition. At the same timeI also think whenever anything (including sports teams) gets in the way of your relationship with God, then it's time to examine yourself HEB 12:1.
        Comment>

Well if you look at it for a specific point of view or perspective then yes a lot of people nowadays seems to worship players and teams which they consider as their favorite, so far to the point of actually selling their belongings in order to attend their games.
          Comment>

It does look that way when you read some of the articles today about the new american religion,and a lot of people do not indentify with any religious tradition at all(the nones)but at the same time the religious dedication of sports has been growing quite a bit. People attending church is down lately at the same time and other church activities as well. They say the stadiums bring people together like cathedrals once did,and many kids today have very little church involement.

Comment>

I think people are being one sided and why to concentrate on sports when they have come to visit the Lord. This happens in our place too. Last week I went to a temple and after worshiping I was sitting for a while to meditate but a group of people behind me started to talk about cricket and football. After that, the conversation moved on to tv series. I wonder why they have to talk about this in a place of worship.
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap