Talk about your favorite sports, hobbies, or activities.

Christianity and Sports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christianity and Sports

Over the years, we've seen the Tim Tebow rule take into affect as the NCAA banned all writing on shoes, gloves, and eyeblack. Recently, the same has been done in the NBA by banning Bible verses and scriptures from being sown into sneakers.

Was Tebow really doing anyone any harm or offending anyone by writing one piece of scripture? Has this country really become that touchy where we're offended by what one person believes?

Originally posted by martinearletara View Post

Was Tebow really doing anyone any harm or offending anyone by writing one piece of scripture? Has this country really become that touchy where we're offended by what one person believes?
    For some reason, America has gone from a fantastic Christian nation to one that almost actively tries to stifle it. 20-30 years ago, some of the decisions and public thoughts today's would never even be considered.
    Comment>

It's really just a shame how screwed up people are these days. What's even crazier is that it feels like these are the same people that you work with, or serve your meals when you go out to eat, or work at the cash register when you buy groceries. How could people just think so negatively?
      Comment>

I don't follow any professional sports, nor pay it any mind. In my faith tradition, primarily in the past, there was a tendency to spurn such sports and amusements as "worldy", though I haven't seen it discussed much in modern publications. Concerning the rules imposed, I can't say I am surprised. The society we live will support and defend the most depraved of expression, but recoils in horror at the mere mention of anything to do with Biblical Christianity. As believers, we know why that is.
        Comment>

As Nahum alluded to, there really should be no surprise that there would be any kind of backlash against Christians conveying they beliefs in public as we are meant to be ridiculed in Jesus' name. Though, you do have to ask what the individuals purpose is for displaying it in the first place. If it is ultimately to bring Glory to God, or is it to just do something in the face of the secular world. If it is the former, then I am all for it, but if it is the latter then the individual is no better than that pharisee.
          Comment>

Well it is hard believing that it was doing any harm, the Tebow thing that is, but I guess when it comes to being politically correct, they probably just want to protect their money and their business, and there is no real surprise there. I was not aware of the NBA thing, but I was also unaware that people were putting Bible verses on their shoes. Again, I am not sure what the harm is but apparently somebody sitting in the expensive seats seems to think so, so that is the way it is.
            Comment>

I'm not a huge sports follower (except when the Olympics rolls around like right now!) but I don't think it should have been outlawed that people could put verses on their shoes or whatever they chose! Who does it offend, really? I actually see it as a very beautiful thing - honoring the Lord in a lot of ways, when we are thankful for the skills we are blessed with!

I heard that Stephen Curry signed with Under Armour after her was previously with Nike, because Nike had rejected him having verses on his shoes...

Did Nike Reject Stephen Curry for Wanting Bible Verse on Sneaker?

I didn't know though that it had been banned entirely now.
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap