Join Christian music fans from around the world to talk about your favorite artists, songs, gear, concerts, worship experiences, and more.

Worship band too loud. Thinking of talking to someone about it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worship band too loud. Thinking of talking to someone about it?

I feel awful for feeling this way because worship is not about us. It's just hard to ignore. Our band way too loud and the constantly moving spotlights make my eyes hurt. I thought I'd be used to it by now, but I am not. I wear earplugs but that doesn't block out the bass or the lights. I am thinking about talking to someone about it, maybe writing an email. Do you think that would be rude? I don't want to come off as rude. Maybe I am just old fashioned. At my old church, worship was my favorite part of service. Now I dread it and that is not good.
    Last edited by EmCo; 07-06-2017, 08:31 AM.

No, it isn't rude to tell someone about it if you speak to someone who has the authority to do something about it. If the lights make your eyes hurt you should definitely speak up about it. It is possible that the leaders in your church don't realize the effect their band is having on others and you would be doing them a favor by making them aware of it.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Having attended an Assembly of God church in Southern California this was a common occurrence. Though, more so with the sound rather than the lights. I believe the approach many of the people in the congregation had to solve this was to not enter the sanctuary until after the music portion was over. Of course things are much more casual in that area, as many people don't actually show up until 10-20 minutes into the service anyway.

On a personal level, if it is too loud and distracting it does make it difficult to be there and participate in worship, so you can either do what I mentioned above, or seriously consider finding another church who do not employ such a loud worship band every Sunday.
      Comment>

Personally I don't know Why a band is needed for worship. I'm older and the church Had been a combo of a choir , piano and organ and singing hymns. The church went through several pastors and one of them introduced Praise and Worship band. The first one was Too Loud and after a while it was changed to another band.

By all means -- talk to the worship leader. When people feel more inclined to stay out of the sanctuary until After the music portion of the service-- That would be an indication that it's purpose is Not fulfilling a need of the people. And That needs to be addressed.

Maybe a need to define 'worship'. Many people are simply more 'demonstrative' or Less than others. So Talk about it.
        Comment>

I don't think it would be rude, as long as it's mentioned in a polite way. If it's bothering you it may be bothering others. We've had issues at my church with sound before. In a certain part of the church, the speakers were too close and the people that usually sat there mentioned it. The problem was addressed now everything is fine. I'm sure they want everyone to be comfortable in church for them to enjoy the service.
          Comment>

Originally posted by EmCo
            I feel awful for feeling this way because worship is not about us. It's just hard to ignore. Our band way too loud and the constantly moving spotlights make my eyes hurt. I thought I'd be used to it by now, but I am not. I wear earplugs but that doesn't block out the bass or the lights. I am thinking about talking to someone about it, maybe writing an email. Do you think that would be rude? I don't want to come off as rude. Maybe I am just old fashioned. At my old church, worship was my favorite part of service. Now I dread it and that is not good.
            Hi emco.

It certainly would not be rude to ask them to consider playing worship music more quietly. At the same time, I wouldn't expect them to change the volume at which they worship, just because you asked.

God bless.
            Comment>

I should hope that a worship team would be Wanting to Encourage worship -- not be distracting From it.
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap