Join Christian music fans from around the world to talk about your favorite artists, songs, gear, concerts, worship experiences, and more.

Why Isn't Christan Music Popular?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Isn't Christan Music Popular?

Christian music has improved vastly over time, and I feel like the quality of music should be able to compete with a lot of secular songs. But it doesn't.

I've heard people justify listening to songs about drugs and sex by saying, "I listen to the music, not the words." But if that were true, they would be mixing high quality Christian songs in with it.

I listen to secular music, I admit. But I do hear the words. And I can't stand listening to music that talks about sex or drugs, or contains foul language, or that objectifies women (or men!). Even if the tune is great, I can't get into it.

Is it really possible to "tune out" the words to a song and just enjoy the tune, without it influencing you?

Hi Listener, I agree, contemporary Christian music has come a long way (even over the past decade, or so), but it's still focused on words, and on a subject and on a Person that many/most in this world want nothing to do with :(

I'll never forget my son and his friends riding along with me when I turned on Lecrae's, Don't Waste Your Life. This guy is a better musician and lyricist than Lil' Wayne could hope to be on his best day ever, and they were digg'n it, that is, until they started listening to the words a little more closely ;) It took all of about 30 seconds for them to ask me to turn on something else. But I still listen to his music (and I'm 60 :D).

Here's the song I played for them:

Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

Why isn't Christian music more popular than it is?

Jesus has a bad reputation in the world.

Hey man, if I wasn't a born again Christian, I would still listen to Mary Mary.
      In fact, I loved them even before I got saved.
      Comment>

Rock of Ages, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, And Can it Be, Be Still My Soul, In Christ Alone, Before the Throne of God Above. . . all sound very good to me.
        Comment>

I personally find it impossible to tune out the words of a song and just listen to the music. The music is what initially grabs me, but eventually, I always end up memorizing the songs I really like and focus on the words. As others have said, even with contemporary Christian music, it usually is about glorifying God and many secular people just don't want to hear that. Recently, I have done some searching and come across some Christian music whose lyrics are more about struggling to survive in the secular world as a Christian. While not as overtly Christian as many modern Christian bands are, I find that I really enjoy the music as well as message. Some of these bands include: Thousand Foot Krutch, Disciple, Skillet, Fireflight, Ashes Remain, Red, and Nine Lashes. If you meet people who are turned off by contemporary Christian music, or are just trying to get the word out there, I would recommend having people check out some of those bands (without telling that that they are Christian bands) and see if that helps.
          Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post
            Hi Listener, I agree, contemporary Christian music has come a long way (even over the past decade, or so), but it's still focused on words, and on a subject and on a Person that many/most in this world want nothing to do with :(

I'll never forget my son and his friends riding along with me when I turned on Lecrae's, Don't Waste Your Life. This guy is a better musician and lyricist than Lil' Wayne could hope to be on his best day ever, and they were digg'n it, that is, until they started listening to the words a little more closely ;) It took all of about 30 seconds for them to ask me to turn on something else. But I still listen to his music (and I'm 60 :D).

Here's the song I played for them:

That is catchy! Rap isn't totally my thing, even Christian rap. But even I can recognize that this is catchy stuff. Hilarious (and kind of sad!) that your son and his friends liked the song until they heard the words!

I remember being embarrassed by Christian music - I mean, I liked it, but I knew a lot of its quality was sub-par and I didn't want to play it in front of my friends. So glad it's better.
            Comment>

Superchick - Pure

116 - Envy

Comment>

CCM can be both very poorly produced and very unsound theologically. In general, over the years the production quality has improved, but the theology has gotten worse.
                Last edited by thatbrian; 08-25-2016, 04:38 AM.
                Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post
                  CCM can be both very poorly produced and very unsound theologically. In general, over the years the production has improved, but the theology has gotten worse.

I also feel that way for the most part.

I stick to things like this...

Comment>

I don't often feel the impact of the gospel to the core of my being from listening to a sermon or reading scripture; however, I always do, when I hear, and sing, the song below. Music, done well, can certainly convey the message of the gospel to us, perhaps better than most sermons could, and that's coming from the keyboard of a conservative Presbyterian who values good preaching enormously.

Comment>

CCM can be both very poorly produced and very unsound theologically. In general, over the years the production quality has improved, but the theology has gotten worse.
                      I could not agree more.

Comment>

Rock of Ages, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, And Can it Be, Be Still My Soul, In Christ Alone, Before the Throne of God Above. . . all sound very good to me.
                        I may be firmly in the millennial age group, but honestly I'll take a hymn any day! I like the original tunes but I can be persuaded to enjoy the words put to new music too ;)

For example, this hymn, by Martin Luther, was put to new music by Christopher Miner. I think I have all the words memorized now that I've listened to it at least 50 times...Enjoy!

(Sorry it doesn't have the words, but the singer's voice is very clear so it shouldn't be hard to understand)
                        Comment>

I think there's kind of a knee-jerk reaction in the general public that associates "Christian" with "preachy and condemning". This is unfortunate because there is so much uplifting and good music out there that speaks of love and other great things. There is even Christian metal out there which is pretty good, in my opinion and that of my agnostic friends (who couldn't understand the words so well). Perhaps Christian music should expand to more secular venues so that a more diverse audience can see its value.
                          Comment>

Well this is one of those questions where the answer is just...because it isn't. I don't really know the answer. Maybe it is just not as good as the other types of music. It probably does suffer from a lack of playtime and recognition on a more national and wide-spread level, but there are probably reasons for that as well. I would like to think that there are certain circles where the music is more popular, and it might depend on the region of the country as well. Who knows, but it is interesting to think about. Thanks for sharing.
                            Comment>

Well, I will give my opinion talking as a young boy. I personally think that Christian music has not become any popular because several reasons that you may think these do not make any sense, but that is just my opinion, first off, music is ruled by young people nowadays, yes, if you analyze it and look a little bit closer, the majority of the young people (from 7 to 25 y/o, teenagers - young adults) support every single genre, but Christian music, why? Because most of them are Catholic, atheists or they simply don't believe in anything, that's why that genre is not so popular, now see it from this perspective; what if the majority of the humanity was Christian? Yes, that's the answer, the majority of them would listen to Christian music, but as they're not, they just don't, that's the simple equation.

God bless.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap