Join Christian music fans from around the world to talk about your favorite artists, songs, gear, concerts, worship experiences, and more.

Scriptural worship songs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scriptural worship songs

As a worship leader, I continually was frustrated by the incessant cascade of songs that are either Jesus-Is-My-Boyfriend, or maybe God-Is-Blessing-My-Socks-Off, or perhaps Yeah-Yeah-Yeah-Yeah-Yeah-Yeah! We could just open up the CCLI Top 100 and start going right down and naming how many of those songs say either nothing at all, or perhaps would fit right into a convention hosted by Osteen, Meyer, and Copeland, or are otherwise doctrinally useless.

And, as I believe that the Spirit of God didn't quit inspiring men to write music after Luther wrote "Ein Feste Burg" (A Mighty Fortress), I'd like to see what you suggest as good new worship songs. Let's even be a little lax on our definition of "new," and basically anything in the era of Shout to the Lord and Lord I Lift Your Name on High (these aren't necessarily suggestions of the deepest songs, but these two were definitely the start of the modern worship music era.)

So, after all that is said, here's the question:

What modern worship songs have you found to be Scripturally rich, doctrinally sound, musically solid, and spiritually stirring?

I'll lead off with a few of my favorites:

Knowing You, Graham Kendrick.
    Based off of Philippians 3:7-11, you may have sung this one till it was as hackneyed as "Yes Lord Yes Lord Yes Yes Lord Amen (Trading My Sorrows)", or you may have never heard it. In either case, this song puts to music a passage of Scripture that is basically the antithesis of the Prosperity Gospel.

How Deep the Father's Love for Us
    An excellent concordance of this song can be found at DomainMarket.com - 404 . It reminds me that God's love for me is complete, amazing, priceless, free, and yet very expensive. It cost His Son his life to redeem a wretch.

What other good examples of songs have you found? Both of these are very melodic, but I'm interested in good songs in any style. Perhaps we'll even revisit some good hymns that just can't be let go.

Have you ever considered looking for old songs that have been forgotten by most people? Nearly everyone knows that John Newton wrote Amazing Grace, but few are aware of the many other hymns he wrote. You can find some of them here: John Newton - Hymnary.org
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

I honestly have never heard of those, or anything similar, to the songs that you mentioned. Then again, I live in a purely Catholic country with old school values, so I guess the songs here haven't really changed since I was little. Songs from our own language, English songs that were popular I guess in the early 2000s, but I think the virtues and messages that songs needed to be were still there, and since the songs don't change as much, anyone can easily jump in whenever they hear the tune, and would immediately know the lyrics to the songs. I do not know where you sing those kinds of songs you mentioned, and to be frank about it, I really don't want to know. I'd rather stick with the old songs rather than be a part of those you mentioned.
      Comment>

Since I started this thread, this thought hasn't been able to get away from me. So I've been going about trying to find music that makes the grade.

Here's an example of a newer song that I think is actually deep: "His Robes for Mine". I just found it yesterday, so I haven't had a lot of time to process it. But here are some selections that really stood out to me:
        • "God estranged from God"
        • "God’s daunting Law Christ mastered in my stead.
          Faultless I stand with righteous works not mine,
          Saved by my Lord’s vicarious death and life." - The law of God is daunting and insurmountable. Yet here is the crux of the Gospel presented with deadly accuracy. Not only was I desperately in need of help, Christ came by and actually did it. He did what was to me impossible: to master the law of God.
        • "Christ, God’s beloved, condemned as though His foe.
          He, as though I, accursed and left alone;
          I, as though He, embraced and welcomed home!" - I guess I've never just processed it that way. If God was estranged from God at the Cross, then how joyful would He be to welcome Himself home? It would make the most joyous "Honey, I'm home!" pale in comparison -- and yet, "I welcomed home as though He!" As in, God jumps up and welcomes me into His home with the same exuberance that was felt when Jesus was reunited with God? Maybe I'm spouting heresy here, or maybe it's really one more most amazing concept wrapped up with the Cross.
        For more on this song, you could look at this site at Songs and Scriptures – His Robes for Mine | Church Music Today - but I think this is going to be quite enough to commend this tune to even those who would eschew much modern music. As an added bonus, if you don't want to learn a new hymn tune, it can be sung to the tune commonly paired with "Abide with me, fast falls the eventide".

Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap