Discuss your favorite flicks as well as hot new releases.

No more opening crawl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more opening crawl

I have been a Star Wars fan ever since I saw Empire Strikes Back in the theater back in 1980 when it first came out. Since then I have seen the original trilogy countless times. I saw them in the theaters again when they were rereleased prior to the prequels. I have seen the prequels quite a few times (still think the originals are better, even though the prequels add an interesting element). And I have enjoyed the new one (the Force Awakens).

Well there have been reports that future Star Wars movies will be made without the opening crawl, which I think is one of the things that makes these movies stand out. It is part of who they are, so if they take this away I feel will be a big mistake.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
    I have been a Star Wars fan ever since I saw Empire Strikes Back in the theater back in 1980 when it first came out. Since then I have seen the original trilogy countless times. I saw them in the theaters again when they were rereleased prior to the prequels. I have seen the prequels quite a few times (still think the originals are better, even though the prequels add an interesting element). And I have enjoyed the new one (the Force Awakens).

Well there have been reports that future Star Wars movies will be made without the opening crawl, which I think is one of the things that makes these movies stand out. It is part of who they are, so if they take this away I feel will be a big mistake.

Thoughts?
    Reminds me of the Chevrolet Corvette and passing on of engineering from the original designer to the new. I read a book on this subject and the new designer said the most difficult job in styling the new Vette was designing a car that everybody knew was a Corvette. When the car first arrived on the showroom and streets, people unfamiliar with the design would point and say that's a Corvette, because it had memorable lines and styling though totally redesigned and new. I think that kind of thinking would only better Star Wars, but like you, I think doing away completely from the opening crawl would be a disservice. It would be losing something "Star Wars".

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Yikes! That would be like giving Chewbacca a meow instead of a howl. :eek: Certain things should just be left alone, you know what I mean? They have to keep the crawl or they might as well just change the opening song too. I can imagine people walking out of the theater weeping, because the traditional song is gone. Maybe they should change it for a dueling banjos theme or something. Perhaps bongo drums and flutes playing something soft and creepy in the background. Make it sound like a futuristic love song theme or something like that. :cool: I jest big time, of course, but the very idea of changing the traditional Star Wars opener seems just about that silly.
      Comment>

I think a lot of nostalgia value will be lost if it isn't included, and there will be many complaints! I probably won't be seeing the movie in the theater either way, unless I take my babies to see it. They are too young to recognize it or the lack of it!
        Comment>

I will still see it in theaters, as it is pretty much one of the very few that I feel are worthy of spending the money to see it on the big screen. It will not have the same feel, but I would still watch it.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap