Come share a laugh with a joke, one-liners, funny stories, and thread games.

John 3:16 according to Google Translate from Korean.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John 3:16 according to Google Translate from Korean.

Here's John 3:16 according to Google Translate, when translated from Korean:

This one's three-phase four columns ditch this place and four party primary raw venom hath this is going to lead you to believe is do not get the high-value-party networks to destroy me eternal life and your Sim is called.

Google Translate can't even begin to make sense out of Asian languages. Go ahead, try some Chinese, Japanese, or Khamr in Google Translate.

"For God so loved the world..." Koreans don't usually use auxiliary words, like For, and Google isn't about to add it. So, the Korean verse starts with the word for God. God is the same word as the native korean word for the number one. Google, being clueless of the context, translates God to one. Koreans use another letter to express esteem or reverence. This letter is attached to God when Koreans refer to God. Google mistakes this letter for as a possessive modifier, so now we have one's. The next letter, taken by itself means this, which Google moves in front of God, uh, in front of one's, according to English grammar. The next letter, taken by itself, is the number three, as far as Google knows. And, so on.

What makes Asian languages so hard for English speakers, and for computers, is that Asians have a tiny number of words (even worse, a tiny number of distinct sounds) which must mean a huge number of things. Asians can't understand what each other are saying unless they know what each other is talking about. Computers are lousy at understanding what people are talking about. A Chinese SAT test would be limited to 3500 words (not counting compounds) to test everything a high school graduate has learned. Comparatively, the English SAT test is likely to have a few unknown words to someone who doesn't know ten times that number. Yet, the Chinese must be able to express anything an American expresses. Other than this, Chinese is a very simple language, with very little to learn.

Kinda explains why none of my Korean relatives make any sense on Facebook. Facebook has an auto translate apparently demonstrating the same problems.
    Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
      Kinda explains why none of my Korean relatives make any sense on Facebook. Facebook has an auto translate apparently demonstrating the same problems.
      I hope this helps explain that they're not the nuts you might have thought they were. :)

But, I am really shocked at how bad Google translate did with John 3:16. It doesn't even recognize the subject marker (which it translates as the word this). The whole thing is crazy. Google gets three from the first syllable of the word for world. And, so on.
      Comment>

There's got to be a way to get ahold of a Korean Bible or find one on the Internet. I found the Koran, in Arabic and English.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap