Fitness, nutrition and medical information for men and women that will help you get active, eat right and improve your overall wellbeing. Share your health and fitness concerns and get support and advice.

Depression SUCKS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depression SUCKS

Does anyone here have depression?

I have depression, Borderline Personality Disorder and PTSD.

I get depressed A LOT.

What do you do for your depression that doesn't have to do with medicine.

Pray a lot. Keep busy. Help others. Focus on God and the hope of what is to come. Play a video game. And, never, never dwell on my problems.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
      Pray a lot. Keep busy. Help others. Focus on God and the hope of what is to come. Play a video game. And, never, never dwell on my problems.
      hats good, its just REALLY hard not to dwell on problems when they just keep coming and more harder. :(
      Comment>

Originally posted by Army Wife View Post

Thats good, its just REALLY hard not to dwell on problems when they just keep coming and more harder. :(
        Life is a constant challenge, with one difficulty thrown up after another. We live in a fallen world and that's just the way things are for now. It's really hard now not to dwell on your problems because that has become your habit. Your brain has been rewired for feeling depressed. You can rewire it again, it just takes time. Happiness is being content with what you have... maybe even letting go of a few things and being content with less.
        Comment>

Life is a constant challenge, with one difficulty thrown up after another. We live in a fallen world and that's just the way things are for now. It's really hard now not to dwell on your problems because that has become your habit. Your brain has been rewired for feeling depressed. You can rewire it again, it just takes time. Happiness is being content with what you have... maybe even letting go of a few things and being content with less.
          How do I "rewire" my brain to not think that way?
          Comment>

I am a manic-depressant (bi-polar). Don't know which is really worse, the ups (mania) or the downs (depression). I am highly analytical and at times this works against me when my focus is set upon myself. I can think myself detached from the world around me, resulting in myself becoming too self absorbed. I retract in my mind and lose my ability to focus on things. What usually weighs heavy on my mind at times are past experiences or memories of ill things I may have done, said, or thought - almost like flashing back in ptsd. I have learned to quickly confess my sins, anything that I may have done, said, or thought, and then move on. Usually lingering on things that contribute to depression are associated with guilt coming from unconfessed sins, and any second thoughts which brings me to pause, reevaluate, reconsider, and even doubt whether I truly have repented by calling in question the sincerity of my confession. I now tend to refocus myself onto Godly activities, whether reading Scripture or fellow shipping with other believers through Bible Study or church activities, even this forum.

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

I think the word depression is over-used these days. I choose not to use it regarding myself. I can reflect back on my life and realize that if I were "truly" honest with a psych counselor, I would probably be diagnosed as PTSD from an abusive childhood, and I would probably be prescribed medication. I agree with Cornelius - the rewiring of the brain. I'm 53 years old, and when I was a child, there were not as many "labels" as there are now. I think labels are currently over-used, and we either allow ourselves to be labeled, or we label ourselves because other people are using the label. I think that's one aspect of "rewiring" our brains and our thought processes - how we individually perceive ourselves, and what we allow ourselves to believe about ourselves.

I firmly believe that there are correct diagnoses of individuals, but our current culture tends to "label" and over-use labels. There is "permission granted" for all manner of behavior and misguided introspection, and there is a general "elusive happiness" in our culture as we compare our own label to someone else's label.

I prefer to refer to myself as moody.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Army Wife View Post
                How do I "rewire" my brain to not think that way?
                It took you years to get here. Cultivating good habits and thought patterns takes time. There are ways to speed it up, such as with fasting and other forms of productive stress.
                Comment>

I have manic depression, which does include its depressive episodes that can be very severe. Outside of medication, I have found self-awareness of triggers has helped me. Additionally, I have learned (through therapy with a therapist, not a psychologist) to recognize my emotions and control them. I still have depressed feelings, but it has gotten much easier for me to avoid severe depression because of what I have learned through what is called cognitive behavioral therapy.

But really, the drugs (medications, that is) help. Without those, I'd have a much harder time controlling myself.
                  Comment>

Insurance companies pay for antidepressants for 1 out of 4 women.
                    Comment>

Insurance companies pay for antidepressants for 1 out of 4 women.
                      What's your source for that information?
                      Comment>

Originally posted by Penguin View Post
                        What's your source for that information?

This, or another article.
                        Women And Prescription Drugs: One In Four Takes Mental Health Meds | HuffPost

Fun with stats: Americans, 5% of the world's population, take 80% of the world's painkillers.
                        Comment>

If you often suffer from depression and on drugs, apart from taking the drugs you should also keep praying to overcome that agent of depression and always study the Bible in times of depression.
                          Comment>

Yes.. I know all about depression and personality disorders as well, along with anxiety.. it all sucks & many people miss understand how it impacts on people's very day life..
                            I still have people in my family who honestly think I am a lazy person, and think I use depression & anxiety as an excuse.

Comment>

Constantly commune with Jesus about your problems.

Physical exercise can be helpful as well.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap