Fitness, nutrition and medical information for men and women that will help you get active, eat right and improve your overall wellbeing. Share your health and fitness concerns and get support and advice.

Gardening As A Way To Feel Close To God

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gardening As A Way To Feel Close To God

Whenever life gets me a little moody or depressed I go out in my backyard and find solace in my garden. Whether I am pulling weeds or picking fruit a peacefulness surrounds me. Birds fly and chirp their favorite song and butterflies land on wildflowers, in many forms and colors. I can spend hours working or sitting on my back porch drinking in the sights of nature. A part of God's creation grows green and bright and the worries of the world fade away.. I love walking around my yard and finding the new arrivals that were planted by birds and the wind and that grow to brighten my day and provide me with a bit of food. Like wild strawberries and grapes, and wild raspberries.

Do any of you love gardening in some form or fashion? Do you have a yard or live near a garden spot, forest or park? Does being outdoors and enjoying this bit of paradise improve your spirits and your mood? If so please share your feelings and thoughts on this subject.

I love the idea of gardening, though I've never tried it (I live in a very small apartment in the middle of the city, no space at all :(). I do love the outdoors though. I also think being outdoors it's the time when I feel the closest to God. Especially in the early mornings when you get to see everything wake up.
    Comment>

I totally agree with you. We have a lovely garden, cared for mostly by my lovely wife, and it is a place of peace and restoration everyday for us both.

Each morning we have breakfast in our conservatory over looking our garen and watch the birds and insects and the occasional squirel visiting and playing and feeding in ur garden and we love watching the seasons changing the look of the garden too.

As you have said it is a small area of God's glory right outside our home, wonderful, just like God really :).
      Comment>

You are lucky because it seems you have a big yard. I'm ashamed to say that my garden has a bit over 40 meters. This is too small to plant a lot of flowers but I am trying to make it beautiful as much as I can. It is my little Eden in the middle of the summer!
        Comment>

Originally posted by wallet
          You are lucky because it seems you have a big yard. I'm ashamed to say that my garden has a bit over 40 meters. This is too small to plant a lot of flowers but I am trying to make it beautiful as much as I can. It is my little Eden in the middle of the summer!
          Size of the garden has very little to do with what you grow. You can make a fine relaxing space in any place, just check online. My own space is 18 yds square, so a bit bigger than your 40 sq m, but not huge.
          Comment>

Getting closer to God through gardening/farming is more practical and of much value when done at Country-sides/parts. Quiet places, where your mind can tune in the morning sounds of the birds and during the calm nights where all one can hear are the cricket's sounds.. Out there in the God-made nature!:D Don't you think so too?
            Comment>

Originally posted by David
              Getting closer to God through gardening/farming is more practical and of much value when done at Country-sides/parts. Quiet places, where your mind can tune in the morning sounds of the birds and during the calm nights where all one can hear are the cricket's sounds.. Out there in the God-made nature!:D Don't you think so too?
              Can't fault your logic, but I am happy to say that even though I live in the suburbs of a medium size city, we get a lot of birds and wildlife in our garden and not just the common varieties either, we get some very different birds visiting as well as the residents: sparrows, starlings, blackbirds and robins. With visits from larks, finches, tits, warblers and even the occasional red kite.
              Comment>

Wow! Then your house must be somewhere near a city-park. I personally, often miss the greatness of nature I find when I'm out of the city. I take visits on holidays out of the city somewhere great or to the beach if not at my grandpa's -It's more than refreshment that I gain from this. The peace of mind that I find out there up-country on vineyards just comes from God! I've been believing that in a while, that, His power is manifested in not only high height or depths but in the wildlife and the green serene out there among other creation of His.
                Comment>

I love gardening, it's very relaxing. I can see how it'd make you feel closer to God. You'd be in a quiet and open place surrounded by nature. You can use that time in your garden to reflect or even talk to God. If you have the blessing of having a big garden you can certainly use it and your time for this.
                  Comment>

Gardening is really very relaxing. It keeps you busy and also peace your mind and surrounds you with nature. So I love gardening.
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap