Fitness, nutrition and medical information for men and women that will help you get active, eat right and improve your overall wellbeing. Share your health and fitness concerns and get support and advice.

Joined a Gym!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joined a Gym!

Put in my first workout last night after years of sitting behind a computer. Brought back memories of my long hours in the gym when I worked out with a passion and I felt very motivated. I used to take lifting very seriously. Several years ago my best was 385lbs x 3 when I weighed 206 with less than 3% body fat. Now I'm 220 with probably 20%+ body fat. I realize I can't go by the scale while doing heavy weight training because muscle gain weighs more. Either I hope to knock off my fat and remain at this weight with less than 7-8% body fat or get back down to my idea weight for my height which is 180.

So I started with a "beginners" workout program that mainly consists of 2 sets 15 reps of each exercise. I'm carrying a notebook in the gym and recording how much I am lifting etc to keep track of improvements. Was done my workout in 45 minutes. But not without injury, I pulled something doing the overhead dumbbell presses in my right should. This morning, luckily, I feel better and do not notice anything other than soreness all over. 48 hours of rest is recommended between these workout routines.

The Ultimate Beginner's Full-Body Workout

Here are my pictures at 185 my idea weight from several years ago:

Click image for larger version  Name:	185.jpg Views:	1 Size:	186.6 KB ID:	35500

And this is rather recent at 215lbs. No more muscle especially in my shoulders and neck:

Click image for larger version  Name:	215.JPG Views:	1 Size:	54.8 KB ID:	35501

At the end of my 8 week beginner program I'll update the pictures.

God bless,
    William

That's great! Man to be honest I don't think I've been below 8% and that's when I used to average 2 and 1/2 hours of tennis a day, but 3% , that's commitment.

It's a good thing your shoulder is better. I stopped doing shoulder presses , because I'd always injury myself. I probably did them wrong 😆.

Comment>

I wish i could say, the same, over the past few years i go on and off between gyms and i never commit to any of them, i usually manage to discipline myself for one to two months but i just quit afterwards, i feel i would be more inclined to go if i had someone to train with rather than alone, anyhow, best of luck to you :).
      Comment>

Hallo William am so happy that you decided to flex .A healthy body is a very important asset.You can reach limitless heights with whatever you set your mind to do.An unhealthy and overweight body can bring limitation physically,mentally and sometimes even spiritually.Our bodies are the temple of the Holy spirit.Let us care for them.Then again,on earth its the only place you have to live in so do not trash it.iI Encourage you to keep it up.
        Comment>

Week 5. New routine: Chest, Shoulders, Traps, Triceps. My weight still remains the same 5 weeks into weight lifting at 220lbs. Strength definitely going up!

Click image for larger version

Name:	18057909_440483476300270_1149815783013451475_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	38174

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

Good stuff. Today I got in a good workout too. I Biked 15 miles, did 💯 pushups, 3 minutes of abdominals, and a 3 mile walk.
            Comment>

Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post
              Good stuff. Today I got in a good workout too. I Biked 15 miles, did 💯 pushups, 3 minutes of abdominals, and a 3 mile walk.
              I haven't been able to do that many pushups since my military days, then, I could avg 67 pushups in 60 seconds peaking somewhere around 110+.

Right now on Chest, Shoulder, Trap and Tricep day in the middle of my weight lifting routine I do pushups. Usually I do 3 sets of 12 with some pretty pumped up arms.

Over the weekend after working out my wife and I went on a 5 mile quick walk along the coast here in California:

Click image for larger version  Name:	West Cliff.jpg Views:	1 Size:	99.7 KB ID:	38382

God bless,
              William
              Comment>

Originally posted by William

I haven't been able to do that many pushups since my military days, then, I could avg 67 pushups in 60 seconds peaking somewhere around 110+.

Right now on Chest, Shoulder, Trap and Tricep day in the middle of my weight lifting routine I do pushups. Usually I do 3 sets of 12 with some pretty pumped up arms.

Over the weekend after working out my wife and I went on a 5 mile quick walk along the coast here in California:

Click image for larger version  Name:	West Cliff.jpg Views:	1 Size:	99.7 KB ID:	38382

God bless,
                William
                Oh no, I didn't do 100 all at once. The most I ever did in a minute was 48 or 51.

One of these days, I'm going to have to make it out to California, it looks amazing!
                Comment>

Kudos to you and i hope that you stick to it as that is the hardest part. I was pretty serious about improving my physique a while back but unfortunately i hurt my lower back while doing an exerciser which was my fault and ever since i'm too scared to go back :(.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by Zero View Post
                    Kudos to you and i hope that you stick to it as that is the hardest part. I was pretty serious about improving my physique a while back but unfortunately i hurt my lower back while doing an exerciser which was my fault and ever since i'm too scared to go back :(.
                    I couldn't agree more with you and empathize with your caution to not further injury.

Some friendly advice, if you don't mind, I believe we should start out with light weight concentrating on form rather than heavy lifting. This will give us time to not only stretch a muscle, but to strengthen ligaments and tendons while mastering idea form. Once we stray from correct form we're lifting too heavy. And are prone to injury.

Hope you get back into it. I definitely recommend the site I posted in my OP. Check out the beginners workout routine for "back" day: Get Ripped: Your Guide To Getting Shredded

These guys are serious about working out, and the gym atmosphere makes for competitive motivation. Something I don't get at home. Seeing a 70 year old guy putting in all he has makes any beginner feel like a gurly man. As for me I am competing against a notebook which logs my last workout routines. I'm constantly striving to beat what I did last workout.

Enjoy and God bless,
                    William
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap