Fitness, nutrition and medical information for men and women that will help you get active, eat right and improve your overall wellbeing. Share your health and fitness concerns and get support and advice.

Yoga

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga

If you are Christian, what are your views on the practice of Yoga?

I have noticed a few Christian churches which are offering yoga. One even to our children. I have read that yoga poses are like different movements of veneration to various Hindu gods. I think there is a Hindu organization that claims religion can not be separated from yoga, because the practice of yoga is religion.

I don't know. I have practiced yoga and feel there is a great physical benefit. But then I have read stories of people feeling their bodies were in some way taken over by the practice, after years of doing it their bodies seemed to go off and do a yoga routine on its own, and when it was over, they were left with a strange feeling that something else had occurred. Who knows what.

Do you think yoga is a safe practice for Christians?

Originally posted by Marie View Post
    If you are Christian, what are your views on the practice of Yoga?

I have noticed a few Christian churches which are offering yoga. One even to our children. I have read that yoga poses are like different movements of veneration to various Hindu gods. I think there is a Hindu organization that claims religion can not be separated from yoga, because the practice of yoga is religion.

I don't know. I have practiced yoga and feel there is a great physical benefit. But then I have read stories of people feeling their bodies were in some way taken over by the practice, after years of doing it their bodies seemed to go off and do a yoga routine on its own, and when it was over, they were left with a strange feeling that something else had occurred. Who knows what.

Do you think yoga is a safe practice for Christians?
    I don't find any problem with it. You don't have to accept Hinduism in order to profit from the exercise. People who run marathons are not celebrating the Greeks victory over the Persians. I go to church on Sunday but I don't worship the Sun.

Comment>

It is true the practice is rooted in the Hindu world. However, if it is merely doing the exercises and positions, I don't see a problem with it, any more than other techniques of physical fitness. If there was a non-Christian religious or spiritual aspect of a particular class, it should be avoided, but most that is practiced here in the west is simply poses. I know some Christians use the time to meditate on scripture too.
      Comment>

I don't see any issue with you doing Yoga; Yoga is practised worldwide for the heath benefits.
        I have been doing Karate for many years and I thought the same thing as you, however now I know that I do it because I like the art and not for the origin or religious ties.
        Comment>

Modern Postural Yoga (MPL) is only about a century old and was heavily influenced by westerners, even though people in India claimed it as a "uniquely Indian" form of exercise. It is not a time-honored Hindu practice and I don't think Christians should worry about accidentally assenting to Hinduism if they practice it.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
            People who run marathons are not celebrating the Greeks victory over the Persians.
            Hilarious!

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Hilarious!

God bless,
              William
              You are just now seeing that? Way to stay on top of things. lol

Comment>

You are just now seeing that? Way to stay on top of things. lol
                I must admit, this is the first time I read it, but from now on I'm going to keep a closer eye on you!

God bless,
                William
                Comment>

I don't find any problem with it. You don't have to accept Hinduism in order to profit from the exercise.
                  Just curious, should Christians flick gang signs? Do you think that inappropriate? My point is, aren't the bodily positions in Yoga physical expressions of worship? If not, I don't get why people call it Yoga.

God bless,
                  William
                  Comment>

The body positions in yoga are NOT physical expressions of worship. They were invented in the early 20th century by Indian people who were heavily influenced by western exercise systems (which had become popular in India due to the British Empire). They wanted to develop their own, specifically Indian form of physical exercise. That's all. My former yoga teacher has largely stopped teaching any kind of spiritual component to yoga because of this new knowledge.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by almostgreta View Post
                      The body positions in yoga are NOT physical expressions of worship. They were invented in the early 20th century by Indian people who were heavily influenced by western exercise systems (which had become popular in India due to the British Empire). They wanted to develop their own, specifically Indian form of physical exercise. That's all. My former yoga teacher has largely stopped teaching any kind of spiritual component to yoga because of this new knowledge.
                      If there are no spiritual components to the exercise then why call it Yoga?

Is it wrong for Christians to practice yoga? Religion professor says poses are offerings to Hindu gods
                      Yoga: An Exercise in Discernment | CT Women | Christianity Today
                      What is the Christian view of yoga?
                      Comment>

I just don't see a problem. Worship requires intent. No one can accidentally worship a deity. The fact it is called yoga really does not matter. People have been standing on their heads, sitting with their legs crossed, trying to control their breathing long before they ever heard the word yoga. Long before Moses wrote the Torah pagans had priests, temples, prophets, alters, made blood sacrifice, and burned incense. It did not stop God from doing it.

The Bible is full of words that had\have pagan connotations but those ideas are rejected and the authors used them anyway. The Hebrew word for "sun" is Shamash. It is also the name of a deity who the Hebrews would have been aware. Tiamat (a deity) is the primordial water, the deep. Hebrew uses the word tehom, and both are derived from the same Akkadian root. The fact these were also the names of deities did not stop O.T. authors from using them no matter what the pagans believed.

It is the same thing with this Easter nonsense. There are literally thousand and thousands of pagan gods, goddesses, demigods, and other minor spirits. I doubt there is a day of the year that someone, somewhere, did not devoted to some deity for some reason. I was born in August on a Sunday and I my so-called sign is Leo. You know what that means, nothing. I don't partake in emperor worship, or the worship of the Sun, nor do I accept astrology or care about some sign.

If the argument is, pagans did it or pagans believe this or that, my answer is I don't and I don't care that they did. That is not why I am doing it.
                        Last edited by Origen; 10-18-2016, 07:08 AM.
                        Comment>

Hear, hear.
                          Comment>

I didn't know about any relationship between Yoga and Hindu gods. Somehow this training does not interest me I haven't done it and do not anticipate participating in it.
                            Comment>

Yoga has many health benefits and the foundation of all happiness is health and health is indeed the real wealth. So I don't mind doing it. One of my friend who is also a Christian was having skin issues like cellulite and stretch marks on her thighs started doing yoga and followed a guide fitness which helped her to reduce these skin issues and helped her to stay fit and healthy.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap