Tap the technical and computer knowledge of other experienced users. Find information on computers and technological topics.

Vbulletin 5 Mutliple H1 Tags Resulting in SEO SERP Penalty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vbulletin 5 Mutliple H1 Tags Resulting in SEO SERP Penalty

Edit module_title template and change the h1 tags to h4 tags

The resulting effect are no h1 tags at all.

To wrap forum item category list in h2 tag go to display_Forums_list

Find and wrap h2 tags

Code:
    <h2 a class="category" data-nodeid="{vb:raw channel.nodeid}" href="{vb:url {vb:raw channel.routeid}}">{vb:raw channel.title}</a></h2></td>
    To wrap h3 tags around forum title categories go to display_Forums_item around line 69

Find and wrap with h3 tags:

Code:
                        <h3><a href="{vb:url {vb:raw forum.routeid}}" class="forum-title">{vb:raw forum.title}</a></h3>

And here is the finished results: Click image for larger version  Name:	image_264.jpg Views:	1 Size:	62.0 KB ID:	28516

To change thread title header tags >> display_contenttype_threadview_header template and search for and replace h2 tags with h1.

Code:
    <h2 class="b-post__title js-post-title OLD__post-title">
    To:

Code:
    <h1 class="b-post__title js-post-title OLD__post-title">
    And to change "comments" to no html tags

Go to Template: display_contenttype_threadview_footer

And change:

Code:
    <h2 class="h-margin-bottom-xl OLD__comment-entry-box-header">{vb:phrase comment}</h2>
    And delete html tags:

Code:
    <class="h-margin-bottom-xl OLD__comment-entry-box-header">{vb:phrase comment}>
    Comment>

Thanks William this is very helpful info! My headers are coming up as my module names on my forum page. Do you remember what tool you used to check the header in the photo above? I was a little surprised you post this stuff on your forum, I wasn't expecting to find help with my header problem on your site =) Thanks so much!! Do you think everyone should change thread title tags to h1 for seo purposes? It must be working because I googled vbulletin 5 header tags and your site came up.
      Comment>

Originally posted by KimK View Post
        Thanks William this is very helpful info! My headers are coming up as my module names on my forum page. Do you remember what tool you used to check the header in the photo above? I was a little surprised you post this stuff on your forum, I wasn't expecting to find help with my header problem on your site =) Thanks so much!! Do you think everyone should change thread title tags to h1 for seo purposes? It must be working because I googled vbulletin 5 header tags and your site came up.
        Hi KimK,

I think Thread/Article Titles should have the most weight, therefore, they should be H1. Your homepage can have one h1 which can be created by adding your site's name in any module wrapped with the h1 tags. Then all threads/articles will already have h1 from the mods above, so only one h1 should be shown when viewing those pages. That's the trick I am using here.

You may want to try this test: h1 and h2 Tag Test | SeoSiteCheckup.com

I think you're limited to one check every half hour though. I also use Meta Tag Analyzer: Meta Tag Analyzer

I noticed on the test I am now only 75% because of the amount of h2 tags I use for categories. I personally don't see a need to change that. I can certainly benefit more from offsite SEO at this point.

The Firefox addon I used is no longer available for new editions of Firefox. Bummer!

As for posting this kinda thing on the forum, it is a log for myself, and also a way to help others. I came from an open source community so these kinda things were something everyone did.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

Another great little website for testing: HTML Headings Checker - SEO Review Tools

I also made several changes to the site. This particular template is the default template but modified. I changed the original post to reflect the correct code and changes on this site.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap